Author Topic: Glued onto wood  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
Glued onto wood
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:55:15 AM »
I told a seller that his 1sh is pretty much worthless if glued on wood.....is it even possible to save it and if so how much would it cost ??

longdog

Re: Glued onto wood
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:04 AM »
It is possible... but it will be expensive and there is no guarantee it will remove cleanly from the wood.

Depending on the location the other thing you have to consider is shipping the poster (and wood) to wherever it needs to be restored. This will of course significantly add to the bill and if the poster does not justify the cost then you will probably have to leave it.

In my case I was required to do the very same for an old Charlie Chaplin 1-sheet several years ago. It was sent to Poster Mountain who did an incredible job in 'lifting' it from an old wooden pallet and then linen back it. I sadly no longer have any pictures but the client (and I) were suitably gobsmacked by the results.

So depending on the poster I would suggest you send a picture and description to John at Poster Mountain to get an approximate quote and then factor in the additional shipping.

Good luck.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:05 AM »
What did the CC 1-sheet cost to lift and restore?  I'm guessing $600+ easy.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:57 AM »
or if its cheap, and close by, snag it and hang it as is.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

longdog

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »
What did the CC 1-sheet cost to lift and restore?  I'm guessing $600+ easy.

I'm a little hazy on the exact cost now but $600 is in the ballpark. Ultimately though it comes down to the amount of time it takes (which is hard to predict) and in this instance it was a more technically complicated proceedure to perform. All credit to the restorers who have the expertise to do such things, I'm not sure if I'd ever have the patience or the nerve to do such things on other peoples cherished items.