Author Topic: Hi everyone. New guy.  (Read 7841 times)

Poster

Hi everyone. New guy.
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Hello everyone! :)

Itinerant collector and obsessive learner here. Movie posters had been tempting me for quite some time, but I put it off. I knew when I jumped in, the collecting bug would take hard. It definitely has- really enjoying this.

My main interest is acquiring posters of movies I love. No real interest in doing the 'competitive collecting' thing, this go round. Spent too many years doing that with numismatics, art, rare books, etc. Plan on taking it easy with this one and just enjoying myself, not being too obsessive about the 'collector minutiae'. Also, I enjoy woodworking, so I'll probably be interested in strategies for making my own frames.

One thing that does scare the hell out of me is the totally ubiquitous presence of fakes. Ebay is my primary acquisition source, in addition to looking at eMoviePoster auctions (haven't made a buy from here yet, but definitely will be soon_.  Thankfully, Google allows me to research sellers and I've avoided a few landmines in this regard, but I'm still very interested in authentication procedures.

Does this hobby have 'a bible' that everyone must read, in terms of better understanding authentication? Or should I just ask those questions on forums?

Thanks for having me. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:11:26 PM by Poster »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Hi everyone. New guy.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
Hello and welcome!

No Bible per se but there are many links that I will leave for others to post.  Most of the time in dealing with authenticity it just comes down to common sense.

Best to post specific questions for specific posters me thinks...
Chris

TZimmes

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »
Welcome!  I've found most collectors start with titles they like.  I'm sure many would agree.

What kind of flicks do you dig?

Poster

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
Love vintage films.
I'd say my preferred era is 50's-60's, but my own 'cultural relevancy' strikes in the 80's.
Bought 1 sheet "Breakfast Club", "Bad News Bears" (original, not remake) and "Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom" last night on the bay.
My first poster acquisition was "Family Jewels" with Jerry Lewis (60's, I think.). Love that movie.  ;D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, Poster.
Post pics, ask questions and have fun!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
Hello everyone! :)

Itinerant collector and obsessive learner here. Movie posters had been tempting me for quite some time, but I put it off. I knew when I jumped in, the collecting bug would take hard. It definitely has- really enjoying this.

My main interest is acquiring posters of movies I love. No real interest in doing the 'competitive collecting' thing, this go round. Spent too many years doing that with numismatics, art, rare books, etc. Plan on taking it easy with this one and just enjoying myself, not being too obsessive about the 'collector minutiae'. Also, I enjoy woodworking, so I'll probably be interested in strategies for making my own frames.

One thing that does scare the hell out of me is the totally ubiquitous presence of fakes. Ebay is my primary acquisition source, in addition to looking at eMoviePoster auctions (haven't made a buy from here yet, but definitely will be soon_.  Thankfully, Google allows me to research sellers and I've avoided a few landmines in this regard, but I'm still very interested in authentication procedures.

Does this hobby have 'a bible' that everyone must read, in terms of better understanding authentication? Or should I just ask those questions on forums?

Thanks for having me. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions.

Hey "Poster" glad you're on board.  Various authentication sites have come and gone.  The best one now is movieposterauthenticating.com.  As good as it is, unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a while and it's missing some important authentications (like the Star Wars A).  There are many other authentications of specific posters scattered across the Internet. I put together an "authentication" section on Moviepostercollectors.com and linked to all the major authentications I could find and added a few of my own. I also added some general tips that you might find useful. 

(1) Buy double-sided posters when possible (for posters printed beginning in the later 1980s)
(2) Avoid oversized and undersized posters
(3) Avoid posters with “fuzzy” text
(4) Check out the union logo for pre-1980 posters.  If you see a sharp and clear union logo - and they are very tiny - you're probably good.
(5) Avoid known sellers of digital reprints like MovieGoods, tloce, etc.
(6) Avoid “minty” white posters

This forum has a pretty good authentication section as well.

If you're planning on buying a $25+ poster and you suspect it may be a repro, don't hesitate to post a thread in the authentication section. (If it's less than $25 it may not be worth worrying about it in the first place.)

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »
The most obvious advice is that WHO you buy from can be just as important as WHAT you buy. There are a few notorious "bad apples" who sell fakes as originals, and once you learn to not buy from those, 99% of your worries and headaches go away.

Bruce

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:25:38 AM »
My main interest is acquiring posters of movies I love. No real interest in doing the 'competitive collecting' thing, this go round.

That is how everybody should collect. I think most people do - or at least start off that way - until they start to feel like there is a "base set" of posters that you should have to give your collection some weight. You see that everybody seems to have a Blade Runner or a Jaws or Pulp Fiction and next thing you know you have a dozen 80s movies because everybody else did.

But collect what you love, because realistically one does not have the money or the space to collect everything they like. Liking and loving are two magnificently different fields, so my only advice to you (as somebody who has no business giving advice and has the credibility of a dirt clod posing as a rock) is to follow your original intention as long as you can. What you LOVE defines your collection. Everybody has a Back to the Future poster, that's not what will give your collection merit, you know?

Welcome to the forum. I'm a jerk so don't listen to me except when other people say to listen to me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:26:06 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
Welcome, Poster!  welcome1

Hey "Poster" glad you're on board.  Various authentication sites have come and gone.  The best one now is movieposterauthenticating.com.  As good as it is, unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a while and it's missing some important authentications (like the Star Wars A).

Mel, you're forgetting Dave's website, CineMasterpieces with all his authentication help.
His site is pretty damn good - a hell of a lot easier to navigate through than most in my opinion.

I also added some general tips that you might find useful. 
(2) Avoid oversized and undersized posters
- Some posters ARE oversized and undersized. You should NOT avoid all of them. If you are unsure about a poster then come to the forum and ask someone; as an example, some Bond quads are 40x30" and 41x31", and always remember that some posters may have been trimmed resulting in their smaller sizes.

If you're planning on buying a $25+ poster and you suspect it may be a repro, don't hesitate to post a thread in the authentication section. (If it's less than $25 it may not be worth worrying about it in the first place.)
- If you have any poster, no matter the value, then ask away in the authentication section. Just because a poster may have cost less than $25 does not mean it warrants less attention eyeroll

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Poster

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »
Liking and loving are two magnificently different fields, so my only advice to you (as somebody who has no business giving advice and has the credibility of a dirt clod posing as a rock) is to follow your original intention as long as you can. What you LOVE defines your collection.

It took me 20+ years to learn this- after spending many, many of them obsessing about collector-minutiae and acquiring pieces not because they inspired any passion, but because collector protocol insisted that "any serious collector must own (X)..." After repeating this process over and over again and winding up with a bunch of crap I totally didn't care about- in spite of making for a "great collection"-  I finally learned that collector dogmas aren't for me anymore.

Two decades to finally arrive at a point when I view collecting as a non-competitive affair, something I do for my own personal enjoyment. This means that there will probably come a time when my movie poster collection is adequate for my decor and very rarely (if ever) will I buy another one.

My holy grail?
A poster that would probably be meaningless to everyone else, but would mean a lot to me.
"I Sell Anything" with Pat O'Brien. One of my favorite movies, even though it's been panned by critics and you could probably poll 100 film aficionados and maybe 2 would have ever seen it... and if one comes up, I'll probably want it. And if it has a crease or a stain or a tack hole, I won't care... and if someone outbids me, oh well. Maybe I'll get another one, one day. And if I never get one, no worries! Won't lose any sleep over it.

This go round, I'm collecting for fun and enjoyment, rather than to prove anything to anyone  
It's pretty damn liberating :D

The only thing I am staunch about is originality. I like owning artifacts as a credible, direct line to the era they represent. Repros don't offer that, so I'm going to learn as much about authentication as I can.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:17:39 PM by Poster »

DreamWarrior

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
Quote from: bondposters.com/
Some posters ARE oversized and undersized. You should NOT avoid all of them. If you are unsure about a poster then come to the forum and ask someone; as an example, some Bond quads are 40x30" and 41x31", and always remember that some posters may have been trimmed resulting in their smaller sizes.
This. if you pick something up that is a little bigger or smaller than the standard size and want to frame it, Sue at hollywoodposterframes will make the frame to the exact requested size for the smae price as a 27x40 or 27x41.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »
This. if you pick something up that is a little bigger or smaller than the standard size and want to frame it, Sue at hollywoodposterframes will make the frame to the exact requested size for the smae price as a 27x40 or 27x41.
'

You can't get custom-sized economy frames (which are $55 in bulk).  You have to buy the premium frames, which are significantly more expensive. Plus, the custom plexi-glass overlays are "cracked" to get them to the requested size - the sides are not perfectly smooth.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
'

You can't get custom-sized economy frames (which are $55 in bulk).  You have to buy the premium frames, which are significantly more expensive. Plus, the custom plexi-glass overlays are "cracked" to get them to the requested size - the sides are not perfectly smooth.
True. My bad, I was reffering to the archival frames which I buy. Apologies for not being specific.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
Welcome, Poster.  How funny that of all the names you could go by, and with over 4000 registrations on this site to date (including supposedly smart spam bots), you're the first to choose the name "poster"!

You sound a lot like me in the collecting habits - stamps, coins, PEZ dispensers, first editions, toys, and so forth.  You've come to the right place. We are all mad here.  Welcome!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
Bought 1 sheet "Breakfast Club", "Bad News Bears" (original, not remake) and "Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom" last night on the bay.

Breakfast Club and Temple of Doom in the same sentence. I like you already. :)

- Some posters ARE oversized and undersized. You should NOT avoid all of them. If you are unsure about a poster then come to the forum and ask someone; as an example, some Bond quads are 40x30" and 41x31", and always remember that some posters may have been trimmed resulting in their smaller sizes.

This is an important fact to note. The Temple of Doom piece is one such example. Many 80s titles are off a full 41" or 40" by a mere eighth or sixteenth of an inch (shorter or longer), but they are still original.

To get things rolling, when in doubt, send a link or pic...many folks here will be glad to help.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Poster

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Welcome, Poster.  How funny that of all the names you could go by, and with over 4000 registrations on this site to date (including supposedly smart spam bots), you're the first to choose the name "poster"!

You sound a lot like me in the collecting habits - stamps, coins, PEZ dispensers, first editions, toys, and so forth.  You've come to the right place. We are all mad here.  Welcome!

Hahaha... Yeah, I make a pretty significant sideline business reselling premium domain names, so my first impulse is always to go for the most generic descriptive name. Kinda shocked it was still there too  ;D