Author Topic: New Collector from Atlanta  (Read 10190 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
New Collector from Atlanta
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
   Hey everybody,

I absolutely love this forum and have been lurking for a couple of weeks.  The format is up to date and the quality of contributors is top notch. To get started on my research,  I purchased four books from Amazon on movie posters: Best Picture Movie Posters, Essential posters from the 90's, World's Rarest Movie Posters and of course Collectible Movie Posters (advertised as a price guide, but very shallow on info., nothing like an Overstreet Comic Guide.)

I have also spent many hours cruising some cool sites like posternirvana and moviepostercollectors. To some degree this is cheaper than my other hobby of collecting pinball machines.  Well, at least for the posters I like which is mostly '78 to today.

One of my first purchases was from Ddilts last week off ebay. Let's see, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, Salt, Howard the Duck Advance and Hangover2. Looks like I am out of luck on the Revenge of the Jedi on emovie.  I stopped bidding at 650, wonder if it will reach 800?  I must admit that I got hooked on the rolled posters from movieposterzone.  I was hesitant at first but Ddilts and others vouched for this Max guy. I purchased a Back to the Future rolled, The Thing ('80) rolled, and the Matrix rolled.

I purchased an instant collection off ebay from an ebay employee.  Maybe I will get screwed, maybe not.  Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4cf7b7c7ab&item=330573531051&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=aPavh2bOKfRln03ZHLrQelUgOxA%253D

I also purchased this vintage lot off of ebay (Note:Space Odyssey appears to be the 1980 re-release though advertised as original)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4cf7a5c9ba&item=330572351930&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=aPavh2bOKfRln03ZHLrQelUgOxA%253D

Glad I got past the spam-bot defense to register and I look forward to posting and learning from you guys.

Brian

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:59:22 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: New Collector from Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »

Glad I got past the spam-bot defense to register and I look forward to posting and learning from you guys.

Welcome Brian, glad to have you on board, and sorry about rejecting you first.  Like I said in my email, we are under attack.  Just today, I had to reject 60 spambots.

A couple of things...  Good for you for stopping your bidding on Jedi at $600.  You should not be spending more than $300 on this poster.  $800 is ridiculous.  Trust me, another one will come around.

The batch of posters you bought for $300, if they end up being in good condition, is a good price.  You have a few good titles in there.

And Dale is right.  There is nothing wrong with Movieposterzone.

Welcome again,

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, Brian.
Looks like you're off to a running start with some good purchases.
Thierry's on the money about the ROTJ teaser.
It can be had for much less.
Patience, grasshopper...
 wynk

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »

Patience has never been my strongest asset, however, I have to remember that everything unfolds in its own time. Once I bought a minty new old stock Rocky backglass even though I did not own the pin. Then four years later, I found the pin in great condition uber cheap in Duluth, Minnesota because it was missing a backglass.

Patience, patience, must make that my mantra...........

Okay so who has a lead on Rocky posters?   ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Welcome!

I have an original Rocky 1-sheet (folded) if you are interested... PM me!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »
Welcome Brian!

Why not share some pics of your pinball collection while you're here?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
   Patience has never been my strongest asset, however, I have to remember that everything unfolds in its own time. Once I bought a minty new old stock Rocky backglass even though I did not own the pin. Then four years later, I found the pin in great condition uber cheap in Duluth, Minnesota because it was missing a backglass.

Brian

Hey Brian, welcome aboard. Glad you liked my sites.  Try to nab the Rocky II "Style B" if you can, although it's tough to find:

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
Welcome Brian, glad to have you on board, and sorry about rejecting you first.  Like I said in my email, we are under attack.  Just today, I had to reject 60 spambots.

Welcome again,

Thierry

Thierry rejects everybody at least once. It's a right of passage. Like asking the prettiest girl at school to prom and having her say no in front of the whole school. Then after English you try one more time and because her grand mother was bipolar and it runs in her family she is more than happy to be your date.

Brian

I'm extremely impatient as well, so I'm glad I have somebody else who understands the pain of a ticking clock. But there are tricks to keep in mind when you're impatient, most of which are manipulative and unethical. Have you ever broken into a house before, and if not, how many rottweilers do you think you could fight off at once?

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
Welcome Brian!

Why not share some pics of your pinball collection while you're here?

I absolutely will post some pics.  Pinball is what lead me to you guys.  I am moving into a new office on July 5th.  I have decided to bring three pins to my new office:  Apollo 13, Stargate and NASCAR.  I thought it would be cool to have the posters of the first two. Then I saw a poster site where some guy had like 200 framed posters.

He painted his apartment walls white and would change about 20 posters a month on the walls and store the rest.  It looked really cool.  So my new office has a back hallway with 12ft ceilings and is 20ft long.  I had one wall painted white, and hope to display my movie poster collection at my office.  The part that stinks is that archival frames run about $60 when bought in bulk.  My frames will be worth more than most of my posters.   ;D

Brian

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »

I absolutely will post some pics.  Pinball is what lead me to you guys.  I am moving into a new office on July 5th.  I have decided to bring three pins to my new office:  Apollo 13, Stargate and NASCAR.  I thought it would be cool to have the posters of the first two. Then I saw a poster site where some guy had like 200 framed posters.

He painted his apartment walls white and would change about 20 posters a month on the walls and store the rest.  It looked really cool.  So my new office has a back hallway with 12ft ceilings and is 20ft long.  I had one wall painted white, and hope to display my movie poster collection at my office.  The part that stinks is that archival frames run about $60 when bought in bulk.  My frames will be worth more than most of my posters.   ;D

Brian

Well that can only be one guy...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:26:45 PM »

Brian

Not sure who you're talking about but I've got 75 frames.  Hollywood Poster Frames is the best deal if you buy in bulk. I used to recommend Spotlight Displays but I've noticed that their flip frames can permanently damage a poster. The overlays are relatively thin, so the "flips" put too much pressure on the poster and can cause permanent "crimping." I may have to replace the overlays on all my Spotlight Displays frames.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »

Okay Pirate Mel,

How in the world do you have time to maintain multiple websites, participate routinely in a poster forum, and maintain a poster event on-line calender?  There is not enough Red Bull at the local convenience store to keep up that kind energy.

Is that you in your avatar pic or a generic pirate?

And yes, I plan to buy my frames through Hollywood Poster Frames.  I spent many an hour on the internet trying to find a better price and could not.  My game plan is to buy 8 frames a month, until I am done.  The bulk rate for 8 frames of archival quality is about $60 or so from HPF.

One big plan with many moving parts,

Brian

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
Hey Brian, welcome aboard. Glad you liked my sites.  Try to nab the Rocky II "Style B" if you can, although it's tough to find

Great reply!!!! Now, I have a Rocky Holy Grail to shoot for.  I have never seen that version before.  Looks like a very real punch being thrown.

Brian

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
  Just got back from work and decided to spend a few moments looking back at my bookmarked poster sites.  And I will be darn, Pirate Mel's Poster Nirvana was the site that inspired me to decorate my office like his apartment walls. I told the painters today to paint three of our conference room walls white so I will have room to expand my collection.

What a small poster world it really is!!!!!!  Man, this is THE movie poster forum.

Brian

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:12:03 PM by ATLfun »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
  Okay Pirate Mel,

How in the world do you have time to maintain multiple websites, participate routinely in a poster forum, and maintain a poster event on-line calender?  There is not enough Red Bull at the local convenience store to keep up that kind energy.

Is that you in your avatar pic or a generic pirate?

And yes, I plan to buy my frames through Hollywood Poster Frames.  I spent many an hour on the internet trying to find a better price and could not.  My game plan is to buy 8 frames a month, until I am done.  The bulk rate for 8 frames of archival quality is about $60 or so from HPF.

One big plan with many moving parts,

Brian

The websites take a lot of time to build but after that they don't take too much time.  Whenever I get a new poster, I put it in my Aperture library, keyword it, and it automatically updates my webpages.  As always, the plan is to spend LESS time and money on the hobby but it's rather addictive as you know.

My apartment is basically a movie poster gallery.  It's definitely overkill and it won't last forever, but it's fun for now....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »

What a small poster world it really is!!!!!!  Man, this is THE movie poster forum.

It is that. Welcome aboard.

I have bought 30 frames of various sizes from HPF. So I am a fan  :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
"Man, this is THE movie poster forum. Brian" 

Thierry should add that to his sig!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
I don't need to, Mel, it would be redundant.  Plus, we all know that MPF is dead, but NS4 is still around and doing well.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
Brian, if I were starting out in this hobby like you, I would follow the model of Dan Hart's collection.  Every poster is well-chosen and he doesn't have a lot of mediocre posters or hyper-modern (post-1990) posters.

I would also expand your horizons to Italian, French, and Japanese posters (and maybe even a few UK quads (ha-ha)).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:41:01 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »