Author Topic: Snow White R1993 (Mirror) - Condition Question...  (Read 3951 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Snow White R1993 (Mirror) - Condition Question...
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »
I received this poster a week ago and initially was quite pleased. But upon further inspection I realized that the top and bottom of the poster are discolored a transparent whitish color. On the backside of the poster, which is pure mylar, there is a airbush-like area of the poster where the mylar has been compromised, which is causing the discoloration on the front of the poster. I've included some photos.

I contacted the seller about the damage and he was extremely understanding. He offered to send me his second poster in exchange for the first one and to send the original one back at my convenience. So the second poster came in, and while the damage is less obtrusive, it has the same problem. There is a whitish film on the surface of the poster that is really unsightly.

I know this is a fairly popular poster so many of you must have it, and I was wondering if this kind of damage is normal. This is the first mylar poster I've owned and I'm a stickler for mint condition. If this is common and unavoidable, I can live with it, but if this guy just has a bad batch I want to look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:59:14 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Snow White R1993 (Mirror) - Condition Questoin...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
No idea about your problem, I think Mel is the best to see about this...

I was just going to say if you are a stickler for posters being in "mint" condition, getting into older/vintage posters may not be for you!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
Re: Snow White R1993 (Mirror) - Condition Questoin...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
I was just going to say if you are a stickler for posters being in "mint" condition, getting into older/vintage posters may not be for you!

This is solid and sound advice.

Mike
MICHAEL

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Snow White R1993 (Mirror) - Condition Question...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
No idea about your problem, I think Mel is the best to see about this...

This is solid and sound advice.

Mike

Well, I probably should add that my desire for "mintness" is greatly affected by availability. I would settle for a damaged forty year old poster much more easily than I would for a damaged twenty year old poster. In this case, I know there are "mint" copies readily available that I could acquire very easily, so opting for a damaged one is not a desirable choice.

Geddit?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:01:42 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
I understand now.
MICHAEL

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
I understand now.

Good, because I'm still potentially very interested in that friend of yours's paper. Don't think just because it has seen better days that I'll view it as anything less than splendid.

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
There is another one now. I will email you the link.
MICHAEL

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
I received this poster a week ago and initially was quite pleased. But upon further inspection I realized that the top and bottom of the poster are discolored a transparent whitish color. On the backside of the poster, which is pure mylar, there is a airbush-like area of the poster where the mylar has been compromised, which is causing the discoloration on the front of the poster. I've included some photos.

I contacted the seller about the damage and he was extremely understanding. He offered to send me his second poster in exchange for the first one and to send the original one back at my convenience. So the second poster came in, and while the damage is less obtrusive, it has the same problem. There is a whitish film on the surface of the poster that is really unsightly.

I know this is a fairly popular poster so many of you must have it, and I was wondering if this kind of damage is normal. This is the first mylar poster I've owned and I'm a stickler for mint condition. If this is common and unavoidable, I can live with it, but if this guy just has a bad batch I want to look elsewhere.

Mylar separation was a more common problem when mylars first started popping up in the 70's, but is less so today due to an improved/different process.  I first heard about it in relation to the Star Wars Adv Mylars (once again the newer stuff is not this touchy):

The letters and border are Mylar, in other words they appear as a mirror image (hence very difficult to photograph). These posters were shipped flat to theaters in wooden boxes. The flat shipping was done because if these posters are rolled tighter than about 4" diameter they will tend to separate or "delaminate". In other words, the Mylar will separate from the paper backing. Sadly this has been the fate of most of these posters. 

The Mirror, Mirror is an odd case because of the 'normal' paper used to create the frame had to be attached to the mylar.  Unlike the Star Wars, these were rolled into 3 inch tubes when they were sent to theaters, with a layer of tissue paper between each copy to prevent scratching (I assumed at the time).

As for this particular poster, it might be difficult to determine just how common/uncommon it is...  though, I would suspect that it is a rather common occurrence...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
I have mylar separation on my Indiana Jones poster but I more or less fixed it by pushing the air bubbles to the side.

I don't think my Snow White mylar has that film but years of being rolled have warped it, so it's less-than-perfect too.