Author Topic: Amadeus 1sht....  (Read 9791 times)

raulleaf

Amadeus 1sht....
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Took a chance on one of his auctions yesterday and won it for .99; it was worth the $11 risk.  When I found the auction I only had 3min to bid so I couldn't even ask questions.  Just a heads up if you want to flirt with danger.... Bid at your own risk I guess...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amadeus-27x40-Movie-Poster-/220795758070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336873e5f6

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Amadeus 1sht....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
You probably got suckered.  The vast majority of his sales are reprints and he's got another "mint" Amadeus for sale.

P.S. Originals of that poster are not 27x40 - they are 25.5" x 39.5.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:09:08 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
Is this AMADEUS poster a later reprint? He has it listed in the 1990-1999 decade sub-section and he also describes them as being brand new.  pcorn

Jeff

-Jeff

raulleaf

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
You probably got suckered.  The vast majority of his sales are reprints and he's got another "mint" Amadeus for sale.

P.S. Originals of that poster are not 27x40 - they are 25.5" x 39.5.

Yeah I figure as much, but I'll nail him with a negative if it doesn't measure up (pun intended).  I actually got one from Dave on a recent auction and before I bid, I called him because the dimension were off and he just said yeah so; and I was like why?  He explained that all the originals were this size.  I went in on this fully knowing it is prolly a fake but what if its not?  Should change my id the Gambler huh?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »
Yeah I figure as much, but I'll nail him with a negative if it doesn't measure up (pun intended).  I actually got one from Dave on a recent auction and before I bid, I called him because the dimension were off and he just said yeah so; and I was like why?  He explained that all the originals were this size.  I went in on this fully knowing it is prolly a fake but what if its not?  Should change my id the Gambler huh?

I don't see why you wouldn't deal with the uncertainty before you pay.  Why not send the seller something like this: "I bought this poster but notice it is 27x40 but now understand that originals are actually 25.5 x 39. Also I notice all your posters are reprints.  Are you sure this is an original and that you did not accidentally list it in the original section?"

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
he does say aprox in size, I doubt he measures every poster.
Also he doesnt SAY Original poster, but genuine or something.
I doubt its legit. And I doubt he cares.
But going by the auction description there is no way to know.
So yes ask the questions.
But setting him up for a fall seems strange.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

raulleaf

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »
Are you implying that I am setting him up?  If you see a poster for .99 with only 3 minutes left you don't have much time for premeditation (for mel). I really didn't think about asking after it closed; good advice I will have to apply next time before paying.  I just shot him an e-mail just now and will see if he replies.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Bruce, I see you have sold a number of OS, in which the description gave the dimensions of this poster as 27x41:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/7079711.html

as well as 25.75 x 39 7/8:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/7454907.html

Was the poster printed and issued at slightly different times in the 2 sizes?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
Sorry, what I meant was, buying what you suspect is a fake, to leave a neg. I might have misread. Sorry.
An Error Has Occurred!

raulleaf

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
Sorry, what I meant was, buying what you suspect is a fake, to leave a neg. I might have misread. Sorry.

Nope, I tend to be more of an optimist.  I was buying hoping it was real...knowing it was probably a slim chance. My first thought was maybe he put it on a 1 or 3 day auction and I missed it.  I deleted my saved searches because I was buying too much.  I figured to get my .99 cent refund I would have to ship the damn thing back for like $7.  The leaving a negative was an afterthought retaliation type reaction; damn it Charlie you got suckered again... When will you learn?  Lets blame him instead of your ignorance.....   

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
I would pay a buck for a reprint anyway, pin it to your wall, who cares? I have been after repro belgians for ages, a good CHEAP supply, not to resell, just to wallpaper my walls, laminate and use as place mats, whatever. Nothing wrong with them, so long as they are cheap.
Anyways, fingers crossed, never know.

Once 11 years ago, I bought what everyone assumed was a repro or at best a reissue Fantasia daybill, there was NO PICS in the auction, and a really BAD description, I took a punt and for AUD$30 what arrived was a 1st release Fantasia daybill. I sold it the day it arrived to another dealer (I dont usually likle to deal in stuff that doesnt interest me - why I am not a good dealer - I have bad taste). but I digress. I onsold it for USD$1000 to a dealer who was VERY happy the same day it arrived, and that was when $1,000 USD meant close to AUD$2000 , it was a gamble, that paid off.

Good luck. And regardless, who cares? enjoy whatever it may be for what it is. (put it under glass on your dining table?)
An Error Has Occurred!

raulleaf

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »
I would pay a buck for a reprint anyway, pin it to your wall, who cares? I have been after repro belgians for ages, a good CHEAP supply, not to resell, just to wallpaper my walls, laminate and use as place mats, whatever. Nothing wrong with them, so long as they are cheap.
Anyways, fingers crossed, never know.

Once 11 years ago, I bought what everyone assumed was a repro or at best a reissue Fantasia daybill, there was NO PICS in the auction, and a really BAD description, I took a punt and for AUD$30 what arrived was a 1st release Fantasia daybill. I sold it the day it arrived to another dealer (I dont usually likle to deal in stuff that doesnt interest me - why I am not a good dealer - I have bad taste). but I digress. I onsold it for USD$1000 to a dealer who was VERY happy the same day it arrived, and that was when $1,000 USD meant close to AUD$2000 , it was a gamble, that paid off.

Good luck. And regardless, who cares? enjoy whatever it may be for what it is. (put it under glass on your dining table?)

Fingers crossed... 8)

raulleaf

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:34 AM »
No response.... Guess I've got a poster I can pin to the wall...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
Bruce, I see you have sold a number of OS, in which the description gave the dimensions of this poster as 27x41:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/7079711.html

as well as 25.75 x 39 7/8:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/7454907.html

Was the poster printed and issued at slightly different times in the 2 sizes?

Jeff

It's a mistake, Jeff.  The 3 original styles... original, review and awards... were all printed in the 25x39in format.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
It's a mistake, Jeff.  The 3 original styles... original, review and awards... were all printed in the 25x39in format.

T

Thanks, T. Appreciate the info.

Jeff

-Jeff

raulleaf

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
The message I sent him:

Dear acer9228,

Hi,

I recently bought the same rare poster from you just yesterday. I didn't have much time to think about it as I found the auction minutes before it ended. You list the approximate size as 27X40 but an authentic poster is 25.5 x 39. I guess you have shipped mine, but can you tell me if the one you are selling now is this 25.5x39? If it is, I might bid on this one as well or tell my buddies and it could really drive the price up... Thanks, Charlie

His response:

"to my knowledge this poster was never reprinted so it has to be an original"

Notice no confirmation of the size.

My latest request:

Hi do you mind measuring the one you are auctioning now? 

Thanks,

Charlie

I'll let you know when I do; unless it measures up and then I may have to keep my mouth shut... ;)

raulleaf

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »
Well it was genuine; a genuine director's cut DS; but it arrived damaged...  Looks like the idiot shipped it in a broken tube.  It also arrived without a cap. Have you ever heard of the USPS taping/repairing a damaged package?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
That sux. Not much worse for a poster guy than seeing a mangled tube at the door.

I know UPS does the repair thing but I never heard of the post office doing it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »
Well it was genuine; a genuine director's cut DS; but it arrived damaged...  Looks like the idiot shipped it in a broken tube.  It also arrived without a cap. Have you ever heard of the USPS taping/repairing a damaged package?

Charlie,

That Sux...Im willing to bet that the damage and missing end cap were the result of the good ol' USPS' handling.  :'(
I wouldnt doubt that they "tried" to repair the damage and make it look less worse than it was, due to their negligence. Happens quite a bit, most likely. 

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Yeah, and the 2002 re-release poster is a nice one too :(  I'm not sure if it's rare or not (I'm done with Amadeus), but you should definitely try to get it again.  Along with the 84 release.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »
Charlie, I totally owe you one.  I got this 2001rr DSR Amadeus for $11 shipped from acer9228

It is 27x40 (not 25x39) but I have no doubt it's an original - all fonts are perfectly sharp and clear, high-quality paper, etc.

The seller apparently has a roll of these and has more for sale, so definitely go for it if you want this image.

Obviously, I'd prefer the 1984 original but this is almost as good and a hell of a lot cheaper.

raulleaf

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
He's still dicking me around; says he lost my address to ship a replacement.  I finally opened a case.  Wonderful to hear you had a good experience....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
He's still dicking me around; says he lost my address to ship a replacement.  I finally opened a case.  Wonderful to hear you had a good experience....

Yeah, it did show up in a pretty thin tube.  About 20% of those arrive damaged, so I got lucky.  OK, I understand the guy is not making much money off these and is making a couple of bucks off shipping - he charged $10 - so I can't be too critical, but he really should charge more for the poster to pay for a decent tube.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »

Sounds like a seller to avoid.
Thin tubes, damaged goods, high postage, email avoidance, disputes, three negs since November...
We have a thread for sellers like this.
Keep us posted on how it shakes out, Charlie.
Best of luck.

raulleaf

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 11:23:47 PM »
We'll after I opened a case he finally too me seriously.  An undamaged replacement arrived today; whew...  I think the guy might be ok. May have just been a fluke.  Mel didn't have an issue.