Author Topic: selling up - job lot or piecemeal  (Read 2413 times)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
selling up - job lot or piecemeal
« on: April 26, 2016, 02:33:18 AM »
Hi All
I am considering sell the vast majority of my collection, only retaining perhaps 10 posters. Family and building projects come first
I was wondering what people think is a better way of selling, job lot or piecemeal.
I think Piecemeal might get more money, however a job lot would be a whole lot easier.
I have an inventory which needs some validation, i would be interested in your thoughts

thanks
Paul

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: selling up - job lot or piecemeal
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:10:22 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before... One buyer to buy all for a great price won't happen. Sell piecemeal yourself or consign all to a dealer

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 12:35:04 AM »
Paul, do you have a list of all your (potential sell) posters that you could post to the forum?

I think selling piece meal would give you more bang for the buck (but would take longer, too). So if not in a rush... maybe go this route?   thumbup

Good luck, however you decide to proceed.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:13:30 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:14:34 AM »
Paul, do you have a list of all your (potential sell) posters that you could post to the forum?

I think selling piece meal would give you more bang for the buck (but would take longer, too). So if not in a rush... maybe go this route?   thumbup

Often (not always) respected dealers/auctioneers fetch a premium over the going rates on eBay.  Certainly this effect can vary by title and who happens to be bidding on a particular day.

People are willing to pay extra for the assurance they are getting what they expect, and that the items will be packed with at least a modicum of care, or even get the full gorilla-proof treatment.

Point being, the cut the dealer/auctioneer takes in commission may often be canceled out by the higher prices they can fetch.

If I was selling more than a few posters, I would almost certainly send them off to EMP or HA. I might be able to net a similar amount selling myself, but it would be a _lot_ more work.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:43:10 AM »
So true, Deke, and it ultimately then depends of what route the seller/consignor will want to take (as well as the time frame to sell, if hoping and wanting that degree of item and shipping satisfaction and confidence in what is being offered & sold via well known/respected dealers and auction houses).

So if the "selling time frame" is not of the essence, that route seems a viable way to go.

-Jeff

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:07:45 AM »
Hi guys,
thanks for taking the time to reply, i am uk based so sending to Heritage or EMP is sort of out. I have been selling some stuff through Ewbanks, but i am hearing their customer services is poor and so is their packing so might look at other options. I do have a list which i can send out to peeps induvidually but would rather not publish the whole lot here.
I might try SAS in Berkshire, if anyone  has any experience with them let me know, or any auction houses offering a good service. I cant think of any to hand, these are not the sort of posters Christies would be interested in 70's 80's 90's and deemed not worth their while!

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
If your items average $20 each or less, then yes, sending to us at eMoviePoster does not likely make sense. But if the average is higher (or if you solely send the "better" items) then it likely DOES make sense. Every week we get giant heavy packages from all over the world, including the U.K., France, Germany, Japan Russia, and Australia, and obviously that would not be happening over and over if it were not "worth doing".

Best of luck to you whatever you do!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
Thanks Bruce
i can send you over a list, if there is anything that you might auction let me know.
cheers
Paul