Author Topic: Charlie's Movie Poster Collection  (Read 94224 times)

raulleaf

Re: Charlie's Movie Poster Collection (Newbie's first attempt)
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
I agree, it's hard to find a more underrated design for a classic film than the French Amadeus posters.  The Grande is simply stunning when displayed.  I am continually surprised how little they go for at auction.

Yeah this is an awesome visual and I can only imagine it in large format (on the list)....

raulleaf

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
Ok I did it!  Started a website.  Stole some ideas from Ves and our FoP guy; about the best I can do with my limited web development abilities...  I pulled out some Aussie Daybills to start.  I may only take extra shots of the important films/posters...  It is pretty time consuming.  I also figured out how to shoot the modern stuff (The Invasion was the test) so more to come.... Check it out and let me know what you think.  Seems that once you get well into it it is hard to go back....

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/eastwood.html

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
Ok I did it!  Started a website.  Stole some ideas from Ves and our FoP guy; about the best I can do with my limited web development abilities...  I pulled out some Aussie Daybills to start.  I may only take extra shots of the important films/posters...  It is pretty time consuming.  I also figured out how to shoot the modern stuff (The Invasion was the test) so more to come.... Check it out and let me know what you think.  Seems that once you get well into it it is hard to go back....

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/eastwood.html

Fantastic start Charlie!

raulleaf

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
Ok, got almost all the Stargate posters done today.  I have a large french somewhere and medium french is on the way from France running a few days late.

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/stargate.html

Quick question; should I still post the pics on the forum as well?

raulleaf

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 02:33:30 AM »
Prolly getting tired of me hogging the top spot in this topic but thought I would add this here as well.

I created galleries for each poster; close ups, credits, etc. and was able to figure out how to provide a link on the back of the photo "More..." it will take you to the gallery for that specific poster.  To get back I placed a link back to the original June Acquisitions page.  I hope you find it as entertaining as I did.  If you don't WTF?  ;D

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/photogallery/index.htm

Now just got to get the old stuff cataloged.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »
Prolly getting tired of me hogging the top spot in this topic but thought I would add this here as well.

I created galleries for each poster; close ups, credits, etc. and was able to figure out how to provide a link on the back of the photo "More..." it will take you to the gallery for that specific poster.  To get back I placed a link back to the original June Acquisitions page.  I hope you find it as entertaining as I did.  If you don't WTF?  ;D

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/photogallery/index.htm

Now just got to get the old stuff cataloged.

Excellent!  What program did you use to produce those galleries? 

My only hesitation with Flash is that these galleries do not work on iPhones or iPads.  I wonder if there is an HTML5 equivalent of these?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:18:56 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
HTML5 incorporates Flash etc, so Apple products will be able to utilise it with a few alterations.
Pretty sure one of the tech guys here can explain better.

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »
Ok, got almost all the Stargate posters done today.  I have a large french somewhere and medium french is on the way from France running a few days late.

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/stargate.html

Quick question; should I still post the pics on the forum as well?

Excellent, Charlie.  I can't wait to see your whole collection.

One piece of advice, though, I would not post your want list.  It will give people ideas and will create more competition over the posters you're looking for.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »
Excellent!  What program did you use to produce those galleries? 

My only hesitation with Flash is that these galleries do not work on iPhones or iPads.  I wonder if there is an HTML5 equivalent of these?

Apple apparently only support 50% of HTML5 and HTML5 is only in its infancy. I wouldn't put any big hopes on HTML5 providing reliable and significant flash replacement functionality for a good few years yet.

HTML5 incorporates Flash etc, so Apple products will be able to utilise it with a few alterations.
Pretty sure one of the tech guys here can explain better.

Best,
Ad

HTML5 doesn't include Flash, they are two separate technologies. HTML5 does have some interactive functionality, like Flash, but Flash is far more widely supported by browsers, and much more feature rich. 

raulleaf

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »
Excellent!  What program did you use to produce those galleries? 

It is called Tiltviewer pro; I played with the free version and then bit $45 for the download... 

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 08:23:03 AM »
Looking good so far Charlie, looking forward to seeing the site develop and seeing more of your collection...it looks an impressive one!

raulleaf

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »
Ok, I've made the galleries for the rest of the box of old one sheets and through some creative excel magic automated the code to easily produce sorted database entries for year ranges.  Also created a small Eastwood Gallery.  Now that I have the basics of the website down just need to snap pics.  Do you think it would be sacrilege to just steal pics off the net for the less important posters?

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/aboutme.html

raulleaf

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Check out the Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai Movie poster (also show the album poster)..  We bought this movie a week ago it is basically like once upon a time in America and it revolves around the gangster scene in Bombay...  I also got some really neat neodymium magnets to hold the posters up you can hardly see them in this pic.

Maybe a new collection: Once upon a time in....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 02:19:30 AM »
Really nice progress with the site, Charlie.
For what it's worth, I'd stick with your own pics.
 thumbup

raulleaf

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:40 AM »
Ok, I've made the galleries for the rest of the box of old one sheets and through some creative excel magic automated the code to easily produce sorted database entries for year ranges.  Also created a small Eastwood Gallery.  Now that I have the basics of the website down just need to snap pics.  Do you think it would be sacrilege to just steal pics off the net for the less important posters?

Make sure to try full screen mode; right click and click go full screen.  I really like the titleviewer ;let me know how easy it is to navigate I have been playing with the zoom settings so if it is hard to get to the next pick I may need to reduce the zoom...

raulleaf

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
All the Eastwoods I can get to are up on my site. 73 and counting didn't know it had gotten that bad... 

http://www.chubbycharlies.com/poster_gallery/mpf/001/Eastwood.htm

Also redid the main page for more of a visual impact.

Now thinking I have more than 1000 posters....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »
Your site is getting really cool.  But I have to say I find the flash animation galleries somewhat hard to navigate.  What does everybody else think?

raulleaf

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »
Yeah I feel a bit the same;  I think if I bring it down to 2x2 like the eastwood gallery it would be ok.  Also if I categorize them better you won't have to go through so many at once...

Try the improved Eastwood gallery at 2x2..

raulleaf

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »
My wife was saying I should remove the dupes and that would help too..

raulleaf

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
Your site is getting really cool.  But I have to say I find the flash animation galleries somewhat hard to navigate.  What does everybody else think?

You know what it could be I am working on a widescreen.  Everything flows fine.  But when I bring it down to a normal monitor it does become a bit tricky.  I can reduce the initial zoom?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2011, 11:32:23 PM »
You know what it could be I am working on a widescreen.  Everything flows fine.  But when I bring it down to a normal monitor it does become a bit tricky.  I can reduce the initial zoom?

It takes forever to go through a bunch of 2x2 screens.  Can you adjust the tilt and make it tilt less?

raulleaf

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:37 AM »
It takes forever to go through a bunch of 2x2 screens.  Can you adjust the tilt and make it tilt less?

Ok adjusted the tilt to 30 degrees adjusted the zoom so you can navigate vertically and horizontally and did a 3x3 panel...  see if that works better.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
Ok adjusted the tilt to 30 degrees adjusted the zoom so you can navigate vertically and horizontally and did a 3x3 panel...  see if that works better.

Yes, very cool!  I likes it.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
Very nice.  My site looks archaic next to this :(

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
Charlie--

What a great looking site. The animation and sound effects (when you click on the arrows or posters) make your site look very polished and professional. Makes it eye catching, as well.

Congrats!

-Jeff