Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832389 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9825 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:34 AM »
....they are mostly Morrie Everett Auction lots!!
There were about 7 really prime Charlie Chan lots that sold for roughly $1200 a piece (some for less)....

I got 2 of those lots and was trying to get 3. Someone wanted Charlie Chan at the Race Track more than I could bear. I was quite surprised with one of the lots, the one that had Charlie Chan in Monte Carlo, which is like race track, gambling. It had 6 cards from that title and when I brought it home to see if the 2 cards I already had were able to upgrade, I found that they were the other 2 cards, making the set, which I hadn't checked prior to the auction
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:28:37 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9826 on: May 04, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
I got 2 of those lots and was trying to get 3. Someone wanted Charlie Chan at the Race Track more than I could bear. I was quite surprised with one of the lots, the one that had Charlie Chan in Monte Carlo, which is like race track, gambling. It had 6 cards from that title and when I brought it home to see if the 2 cards I already had were able to upgrade, I found that they were the other 2 cards, making the set, which I hadn't checked prior to the auction

Congratulations.  Isn't it such a rush when that happens? :)
-Jay-

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9827 on: May 04, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
Congratulations.  Isn't it such a rush when that happens? :)

Great news, Richie!  That's a complete set I'd love to see.  Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9828 on: May 04, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
If he's like me, he's not telling her.  My wife knows I buy posters (obviously) but she never sees them and if she does, she never asks.

T

Sometimes yes, but not with this one. We are a feminist household. I’ve been talking this one up to my wife since the preview was posted. She was totally on board.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9829 on: May 04, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »

Nice going, Rich.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9830 on: May 04, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
........ I’ve been talking this one up to my wife since the preview was posted. She was totally on board.

It's a fantastic poster Matt - I considered bidding but it was way out of my league.

Mark

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9831 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
Great news, Richie!  That's a complete set I'd love to see.  Okie

obviously my interest was the tc and the baccarat table card. The rest are just collateral

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:17:29 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9832 on: May 04, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »
You figure in any auction (regardless of the hobby or item).. the battle will be waged by the final, 2 standing 'bid warriors.'

With the best ($$$$) man standing victorious.  whip piratemel

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:41:49 PM by erik1925 »
MICHAEL

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9833 on: May 04, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
Way to go, Michael!

Will you send it off to be given a bit of "poster love?"

Nice!!! clap clap
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:43:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9834 on: May 04, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »

Awesome!!  I'm glad you got a few of them!  At this point it's really challenging to get an entire set together of any of the Oland Chan films..

So far 3 of the cards have so far sold from lot #791 of Part II (which closed at $1200 after BP) ate Emovieposter for $4729!!

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/warner-oland-as-charlie-chan-10-lobby-cards-fro-813451aa24

I was underbidder on that one  faint2.gif crying

Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9835 on: May 04, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Awesome!!  I'm glad you got a few of them!  At this point it's really challenging to get an entire set together of any of the Oland Chan films..

they sure are as is a tremendous amount of material that we used to see in all hobbies, due to black hole collections.

some material that had been fairly common is now impossible to find, until collections are broken up & sold.

that Chan stuff from 1934 and earlier has always been impossible to locate though, except for some odd items, like Charlie Chan's Courage window cards. I'd been looking for the HS to Monte Carlo for years - at a price that I felt fair (probably not going to happen), so getting the cards for a very fair price really pleased me.

sadly, I was unable to win even a single lot of the Horse Racing lots. They went totally crazy.

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9836 on: May 04, 2018, 11:15:29 PM »
obviously my interest was the tc and the baccarat table card. The rest are just collateral

I just had an artery completely clear after seeing this whole set, Richie!!!!   You should open a movie paper viewing health clinic!  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9837 on: May 05, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »
obviously my interest was the tc and the baccarat table card.

Roulette table??

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9838 on: May 05, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »
I just had an artery completely clear after seeing this whole set, Richie!!!!   You should open a movie paper viewing health clinic!  Okie

Dr Richie is in the house

Roulette table??

the seventh card Simon. That's a baccarat board, or Chemin de Fer

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9839 on: May 05, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
Ooohhhhhhhhhh!

Right.  Got it.

Sorry. :-\

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9840 on: May 05, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
Sorry. :-\

why? there's no need to be ;-)

-------

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9841 on: May 08, 2018, 11:13:27 PM »
Oh my stars! I was quite surprised/shocked to see the closing price of a certain poster on eMovie tonight. It is for a cheesy/sleazy/awful/laughable 70's horror flick from Mexico called "Night of a Thousand Cats". Sure, I have the movie and I totally dig the schlocky poster artwork (and have a copy or two myself). But really? $363 for that? HA!  Too funny.

Here's the closed auction link:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=5039580

Here is what the poster looks like (found online---not the auction photo or a picture of my copy):

$363?  I buy crap like that all of the time---because I dig it---but NOT for $363. Jeepers!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:17:58 PM by Monster_A_GoGo »
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9842 on: May 09, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »
That means your collection is probably worth a lot more than you think it is.

:)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #9843 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
Hi.  Question please about prices.  I have historically collected lobby cards, and most recently have gotten into posters.  I posted in another thread recently how I thought EMP had gotten much more expensive, and perhaps just auctions in general over the last year.  To help me get a grasp about this, I wanted to ask you about the auction result for the "Woman on the Run" OS auctioned last night on EMP for $155.  Here is the poster:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=5039936

I had watched this poster but in the end was way off base in terms of what I envisioned the end price would be, which is overall symptomatic of a lot of the posters I see.  "Woman on the Run" is not a mainstream film, and while it has gotten more popularity after being restored by the Film Noir Foundation and released by Flicker Alley, it still is not in the mainstream rank.  This poster has darkened a good bit, has significant fold tears and some paper loss.  Can I ask the opinion of you guys who are pros at this.  At auction start, would you have envisioned a poster of this title and condition going for $155.  It is possible that I just don't understand the poster market well enough yet.  I am very happy for the person who got it, and not meaning to insult in any way the person who paid $155 for it, and I just very surprised and looking to get some opinions.

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9844 on: May 09, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
There are 2 or 3 bidders at Emovie right now who don't seem to care about pricing, condition or even buying the same poster over and over again,.  They just bid with no apparent logic.  Going against them is a challenge because they can go way above what a poster is worth, way above what a poster historically sold for, with no sign of stopping.  I always set very strict parameters on myself when I bid and I'm glad I do because I would have totally overspent on several occasions.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #9845 on: May 09, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »
Hi.  Question please about prices.  I have historically collected lobby cards, and most recently have gotten into posters.  I posted in another thread recently how I thought EMP had gotten much more expensive, and perhaps just auctions in general over the last year.  To help me get a grasp about this, I wanted to ask you about the auction result for the "Woman on the Run" OS auctioned last night on EMP for $155.  Here is the poster:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=5039936

I had watched this poster but in the end was way off base in terms of what I envisioned the end price would be, which is overall symptomatic of a lot of the posters I see.  "Woman on the Run" is not a mainstream film, and while it has gotten more popularity after being restored by the Film Noir Foundation and released by Flicker Alley, it still is not in the mainstream rank.  This poster has darkened a good bit, has significant fold tears and some paper loss.  Can I ask the opinion of you guys who are pros at this.  At auction start, would you have envisioned a poster of this title and condition going for $155.  It is possible that I just don't understand the poster market well enough yet.  I am very happy for the person who got it, and not meaning to insult in any way the person who paid $155 for it, and I just very surprised and looking to get some opinions.

Thanks,
Matthew

There are 2 or 3 bidders at Emovie right now who don't seem to care about pricing, condition or even buying the same poster over and over again,.  They just bid with no apparent logic.  Going against them is a challenge because they can go way above what a poster is worth, way above what a poster historically sold for, with no sign of stopping.  I always set very strict parameters on myself when I bid and I'm glad I do because I would have totally overspent on several occasions.

T

Here's something to think about guys:

Movie posters are becoming, or have become, a legitimate purchase for many particularly for businesses.
What I find interesting is the rise in businesses buying posters in general, not because they can put the posters down as expenses or whatever, but because many have to spend £x in order to save £x in tax. Therefore, in actuality, the posters aren't costing anything as long as they don't spend more than is required by them per tax purposes, in which case whatever the poster resells at is 100% profit. The cost of the poster then becomes irrelevant, which is annoying for anyone not in their position!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:35:15 AM by AdamCarter1985 »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9846 on: May 09, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »
It could also be a Dennis O'Keefe collector or suspense / film noir / B movie collector who needs to fill a hole in their collection and wanted it more than anyone else. The graphics could also make 2 collectors go head to head. But you're right; in that condition the price is a little steep but I bet the consigner isn't complaining.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9847 on: May 09, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
You never can tell when 2 bidders get caught up in the chase.  There are a couple of outliers in every auction lately.

I have found that prices on emovieposter tend to be somewhat cyclic.  They went crazy in the late 90s and then cooled off.  They seem to be rising again the last 2-3 years, but...

There is also the factor of the era of the poster vs the age of the collector.  80's was really hot in recent years, but seems to be cooling a bit, while 90s stuff is rising.

You can't give away western posters, but when I started, they were at a premium.  And the pre-1970 stuff is mostly junk that goes for pennies.  But certain titles command huge prices.  There seems to be a big gap between the two classes.
-Jay-

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9848 on: May 09, 2018, 02:06:21 PM »
Hi.  Question please about prices.  I have historically collected lobby cards, and most recently have gotten into posters.  I posted in another thread recently how I thought EMP had gotten much more expensive, and perhaps just auctions in general over the last year.  To help me get a grasp about this, I wanted to ask you about the auction result for the "Woman on the Run" OS auctioned last night on EMP for $155. ..
I had watched this poster but in the end was way off base in terms of what I envisioned the end price would be, which is overall symptomatic of a lot of the posters I see. 

I agree that price seems off-base compared to historical average, as does the Night of a 1,000 Cats which Go-Go pointed out (EMP offered the Cats title five times last year and it never once climbed over $100).

But for each of those two which are on the high side, I can show you two more that were on the low side from last week
The Window Card from The Raven that EMP sold last week which ended at $4,010 was originally sold by Heritage in 2009 where it sold for $19,120 (https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/the-raven-universal-1935-window-card-14-x-22-/a/7003-86527.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515).
On the less extreme side, the High School Hellcats that EMP sold last night for $256 was the least expensive out of the last 10 copies they sold (average price on the title is almost $100 more than last night's price).

By page 6 of last night's EMP auctions, everything was $20 or less, so once again you are very close to the historical average of 60% of their items sell for $20 or less, and you still had almost 200 pieces sell for $5 or less.

It's always easy to focus on the one or two items that sell for an extreme price one way or the other, but it really doesn't seem like the sky is falling or that prices are spiraling skyward.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9849 on: May 09, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
It could also be a Dennis O'Keefe collector or suspense / film noir / B movie collector who needs to fill a hole in their collection and wanted it more than anyone else. The graphics could also make 2 collectors go head to head. But you're right; in that condition the price is a little steep but I bet the consigner isn't complaining.

This is also true.  When it comes to certain area of my collection, if I need a specific piece and if it doesn't come up too often, I will pay whatever I have to pay.  There is no limit and I won't be beat.

T
My Personal Collection