Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832113 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9800 on: April 30, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
does he do autographs to defraud people?

I hope not.  He's a VP at Sony Pictures.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9801 on: April 30, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
At risk of sounding pedantic these trimmed posters were pasted up on the walls of platforms and walkways - never lifts or escalator walls.

Mark

Since this specific poster, the Hildebrandt that is, was quickly replaced by the Chantrell, would it have actually made it into the tube, Mark?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9802 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »
Since this specific poster, the Hildebrandt that is, was quickly replaced by the Chantrell, would it have actually made it into the tube, Mark?

I was talking generally about the specific siting of trimmed posters in the Underground. I think it more likely than not that the Hildebrant quads were used in tube stations. Virtually all openings and initial screenings for movies are in London West End cinemas and this was the first quad for Star Wars. The fact that so few survive, and most of those are trimmed, would suggest they were pasted on to the walls for one-time use only.

Mark

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9803 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »

At risk of sounding pedantic these trimmed posters were pasted up on the walls of platforms and walkways - never lifts or escalator walls.

Mark

on Facebook, one of the dealers from the UK was discussing 'lift bills' a couple three weeks ago. and explaining that they used trimmed quads
I need to figure out who was chatting about that

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9804 on: April 30, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
I wonder why they would have been trimmed since they were just adhered to the tube walls. Or were they placed in some kind of smaller frame in the tube?

If not, why bother trimming them at all?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9805 on: May 01, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »
I spoke to Mark Barrow who was the person who referred to 'lift bills' in a conversation along with trimmed quads.

he said that I mixed up our conversation and that a lift bill was abut 16x22 inches and were pasted up in lifts and by escalators, while the trimmed quads were all in the tube station.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #9806 on: May 01, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
I spoke to Mark Barrow who was the person who referred to 'lift bills' in a conversation along with trimmed quads.

he said that I mixed up our conversation and that a lift bill was abut 16x22 inches and were pasted up in lifts and by escalators, while the trimmed quads were all in the tube station.

If you've ever been on the London Underground, this is the sort of thing you would see (per lift bill sizing):

Most of this has changed now with digital advertising, though.
Trimmed quads = tube stations (mostly!).
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9807 on: May 01, 2018, 07:34:20 PM »
Yup.  Just so.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #9808 on: May 01, 2018, 11:20:14 PM »
This is crazy to me, mostly because a certificate of authenticity means NOTHING.

T

Those may be authentic , certainly the Dreyfuss looks legit (he doesnt sign thru mail though) as does the Williams

Shaw is extremely rare on Jaws and 007 material (Ive got a Jaws novel sgd by all 3 , prolly the only one in the world)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:24:50 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #9809 on: May 01, 2018, 11:28:13 PM »
I hope not.  He's a VP at Sony Pictures.

T

He he , lets see if he can fake a Harrison Ford (Bendu will see right thru it , hes been dealing with SW autos for 30 yrs) or an Elvis (Presley is hard to authenticate)

This looks real :

https://natedsanders.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=23969&seo=jaws-book-signed-by-its-author-peter-benchley-
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:32:03 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9810 on: May 02, 2018, 04:04:34 PM »
I was pretty amazed by the results in the lobby cards portion of the Emovieposter auction...some of the pieces that I consigned did really well....

The really crazy results for the early Warner Oland Chan lobby cards had me kicking myself....they are mostly Morrie Everett Auction lots!!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/Chan/11.html

There were about 7 really prime Charlie Chan lots that sold for roughly $1200 a piece (some for less)....over the past 2 years or so Bruce has been selling individual cards from those lots for ludicrous prices...I won 2 lots and was underbidder on 3 of them...I have always regretted not going all out on them...on average I think the break down for each each card was around $150 each...

Congrats Bruce!!  Very happy for you!!
Tait

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9811 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
I was pretty amazed by the results in the lobby cards portion of the Emovieposter auction...some of the pieces that I consigned did really well....

The really crazy results for the early Warner Oland Chan lobby cards had me kicking myself....they are mostly Morrie Everett Auction lots!!

There were about 7 really prime Charlie Chan lots that sold for roughly $1200 a piece (some for less)....over the past 2 years or so Bruce has been selling individual cards from those lots for ludicrous prices...I won 2 lots and was underbidder on 3 of them...I have always regretted not going all out on them...on average I think the break down for each each card was around $150 each...

Yeah.  I looked at the results and 25 of the 141 lobby lots went for $1k or more.  I had a dozen on my radar and when the smoke cleared, I had to settle for three.  It tore my heart out to let a couple of those go, especially the King Vidor's Hallelujah card, but at those prices, triage was necessary.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9812 on: May 02, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »
..........., but at those prices, triage was necessary.

I did laugh...

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9813 on: May 02, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
The I'm no Angel card was a real head scratcher at $3,800....and the Charlie Chan's Chance card (which is a lesser card in the set) at $1800 had me shaking my head...
Tait

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9814 on: May 03, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »
The I'm no Angel card was a real head scratcher at $3,800....and the Charlie Chan's Chance card (which is a lesser card in the set) at $1800 had me shaking my head...

Yeah, but as we all know so well, it takes two to tango or to bid something way up.  That means at least two people wanted these very badly.
Sellers count on having the right pair at the auction.  Buyers pray the other guy forgets to show :)
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9815 on: May 03, 2018, 12:28:43 AM »

And heavy hitter/bidder, "Noah27," moved in for the kill, as he/she often does.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #9816 on: May 03, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »
Sold three weeks ago but still semi-interesting. Lessons:

1) You can generally win auctions of extremely-rare MPs for significantly less on eBay compared to HA/EMP;

2) Occasionally eBay sellers “don’t know what they’re selling”;

3) Often eBay sellers leave “money on the table” for various reasons.

This is a very rare international art-deco silkscreen 1S that has recently auctioned for $5K+ on HA.

I emailed the seller, who informed me that he had randomly found it at the bottom of a box of folded MPs, he made no effort to research it or its price history, and just auctioned it on eBay with very limited info. Lame-o.

But it immediately hit the Collectors Watch most-watched MP list, where I noticed it.

With the missing paper and extra folds, $2.8 ain’t bad. But why not (1) research it and write a detailed description mentioning prior sales and rarity; (2) LB/repair it for $200 and list it as a $5K BIN for six months; or (3) consign it if doesn’t sell at a profitable BIN price? Mystery....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9817 on: May 03, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Mel :(. This and Bruce’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s 6sht are my last 2 failure to communicate.  I should have bid higher.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9818 on: May 03, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
It's so funny to see all these posters at Emovie that would have sold for 1/4-1/3 of their final price if it wasn't for that two bidders who fought it out.

2001: 3 bidders from $2k to 9k.
Victory or Death: 2 bidders from $2k to 8k.
2001: 2 bidders from $2k to 5K.

That's really all it takes.  Probably the same on all these high priced Casablanca posters at HA.  Just 2 people.  Our hobby = 2 people.

T
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:40:41 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9819 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
You figure in any auction (regardless of the hobby or item).. the battle will be waged by the final, 2 standing 'bid warriors.'

With the best ($$$$) man standing victorious.  whip piratemel
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:56:52 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9820 on: May 03, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »
Matt I can`t believe you just spent 8 grand on a poster!  Your wife is going to shit. eyeroll

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9821 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
If he's like me, he's not telling her.  My wife knows I buy posters (obviously) but she never sees them and if she does, she never asks.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9822 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:57 AM »
Then, thank goodness, there are still some beautiful posters that don't necessarily break the bank.  I was glad to buy these three in Bruce's Spring 2018 auction:

Pa Solsidan by Anselmo Ballester $375
Intermezzo by Eric Rohman $274
Frontier Pony Express, 3 sheet, 1939, Roy Rogers six guns drawn! $130

I'm sure glad beauty is in the eye etc., etc., and many eyes beheld elsewhere! 
Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9823 on: May 04, 2018, 01:23:34 AM »
Congrats on the wins, okie.

Looking forward to seeing them when they arrive to the you at the homestead.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9824 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:24 AM »

Most of this has changed now with digital advertising, though.
Trimmed quads = tube stations (mostly!).

thanks Adam.
during my re-discussion with Mark, and my sharing this poster with him and on his group, we determined it was most likely a life bill and seeing the play dates in the bottom bottom space on the posters in the photo, I totally agree with him. I had thought it was a Crown size, but it's actually smaller than a Crown

-------