Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2834158 times)

guest4955

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9750 on: April 09, 2018, 05:28:47 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/04854XqcfCY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/04854XqcfCY</a>

Enjoy these APF-tiny/squeezed/unreadable devil 2 images of top sig sellers:

Actually, some sold well above/below estimates, so are de facto losers.

Of note:

That's called "fine art":

I always thought this was Brit joke poster, but it's one of a very few survivors (of 2.5 million printed/distributed), rest were pulped:

This will frost yer cookies...

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #9751 on: April 09, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
I went for two for my most personal collection: SPY IN BLACK by Martinati and SMASH-UP insert and a few rarer ones, the SPY WHO LOVED ME/LIVE AND LET DIE combo-quad, the Swedish LOST SQUADRON which is absolutely stunning, the GENTLE GUNMEN quad as I did not have a Boswell poster yet and of course the PSYCHO locandina.

Me and Photobucket have a communications problem, so als no pics, but you guys all have the catalogue.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9752 on: April 09, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
Thanks Mel, my cookie is frosted

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9753 on: April 09, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
Me and Photobucket have a communications problem, so als no pics, but you guys all have the catalogue.

Try PostImage.

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #9754 on: April 09, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
Tx Simes

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:16:12 AM by Mondo Hazardo »

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9755 on: April 09, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
Almost $18 grand for a Harry Potter 1-sheet???? That's stupid, crazy money. It looks like any CASABLANCA paper is going for big bucks. The '49 reissue insert goes for $28 grand plus?? Wow! I remember a time during the late 60's thru the late 70's when the Bogie cult was at it's height you couldn't find any decent paper on him without spending big bucks, but nothing like this. Surprising the Argentine LAM went unsold. And Mr. Bond keeps on rolling along splendidly. Heritage hits it out of the park again.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9756 on: April 09, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Congrats on your scores, Mel. Getting Jessica Rabbit in Red again must be nice and love the Lana Turner.

Ooooo T I didn't even see your post the last time I was here. LOVE the THUNDERBALL (my fave of your lot) and Eastwood and the others are super, too. SOME LIKE IT HOT? Super jealous!

Cabmangray---That's what I thought about the Harry Potter poster at first, too...but it's a lenticular, which are rarer and in 3D---NOT paper. Still a bit pricey though...

Mondo Hazardo:  Nice haul you have there as well.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9757 on: April 09, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »
Needless to say, I love the Thunderball 6 Sheet.  Congrats.

Yeah, you probably own 5 of those already.  Isn't your Bond collection amongt the best in the world?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9758 on: April 09, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
T, that is a nice mini-collection for many just from the six you bought this time!  Very nice, Okie

Well, that would be a super tiny mini-collection.  I'm just so upset I missed the one that I really wanted.  I opened my phone just when it was selling... 3...2...1...  I didn't react fast enough :(

It's never about the ones you have, but the ones you don't, and the 6 that I won do not make up for it.

T
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:10:22 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9759 on: April 09, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
Congrats on your scores, Mel. Getting Jessica Rabbit in Red again must be nice and love the Lana Turner.

I almost bought the Roger Rabbit again.  If I recall, it sold for very little.  Glad Mel got it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #9760 on: April 09, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »
Try PostImage.

By the way, can you tell me something about the Bond combo-quad? I normally "don't do Bond" . Only other one I have for myself is the Man With Golden Gun quad as Moore in those days looks so much like my dad.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:51:59 PM by Mondo Hazardo »

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9761 on: April 09, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »
The SPY/LALD quad was one of many British reissues. If you want a large image of Moore, that one is a good choice.
Basically the Bonds were frequently reissued together in just about every conceivable combination. 2 Connery's, 2 Moore's, Moore/Connery, Connery/Lazenby, Connery/Eastwood, Moore/Pink Panther, etc. I think the reissues ended in the late 1980's, when Timothy Dalton took over. Simes can give you a better rundown on them than I can. Over to you, Simon......

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9762 on: April 09, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
Not that anyone cares, but in regards to the Potter & Potter auction for the Italian DINOSAURUS, where I had already bid $100 and someone else got it later for the same bid price, I got a response.

I had sent this note:
Hello. I am a little confused. I was unable to participate in the live version of this auction and placed several bids a few days ago. One of them was lot 66. I was the first bidder to bid $100. Apparently someone else bid $100 during the auction. Apparently they also "won" the item. How is that possible when I had the previous bid for the same amount? Thank you for your assistance.

This was the reply:
Shawn,

The auctioneer can only acknowledge one bid at the time - if there is a tie, the auctioneer's decision is the final word. Whoever he acknowledges as the winner buys the item.

Best Regards,

Gabe Fajuri

Sooooooo unfair. But what can I do? I really wanted that, too. ARGH!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9763 on: April 09, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
Sooooooo unfair. But what can I do? I really wanted that, too. ARGH!

couldn't you have say...bid $20 more than the minimum bid if you really wanted the poster?
Sometimes bidding more than the opening bid goes a long way in securing a win.

(and yes, losing a tie does suck, sorry)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9764 on: April 09, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
I got two today on HA--one I really wanted and one I already have (but can NOT find anywhere). I'll post them soon in my thread. Also, did anyone follow the Potter & Potter? ARGH! I was close on their INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE (argh!), but THOUGHT I won their Italian DINOSAURUS. I was the first bid at $100. When i got home from work I see there was a second bid...also for $100 and that person apparently WON it. How is that possible? Here is the link: http://auctions.potterauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=7903. I sent them a note of inquiry about this, but have heard nothing back thus far.

tie bid. the other buyer had a proxy in.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9765 on: April 09, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
CROWZILLA and RICH, Thanks. Losing a tie does suck. (I was first---it should have been me. But whatever...). Yes, i should have/could have bid more, but I had bid so much more on their other items (all of which i lost) and the HA auctions, I was stretched kind of thin. Oh well. my bad. My loss. But I did score two on HA...even though I paid too much for them. (Probably).

CHEERS!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9766 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
Tx Simes

Hi Mondo!  Really like your choice on The Spy in Black!  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9767 on: April 10, 2018, 06:26:06 AM »
Yeah, you probably own 5 of those already.  Isn't your Bond collection amongst the best in the world?

T

Grief, not at all.  Poster-wise, I stick to just the quads and 1 Sheets in an aim to maintain some parenthetic control over the spending and the space.

As to your second point, if Quad and 1 Sheet focus is a definition of best (or let's say, most complete) then mayyyyybe  :-\   If one asks for a variety of art, sizes, countries and the like, then not at all.

But thanks for the comment.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9768 on: April 10, 2018, 06:35:04 AM »
The SPY/LALD quad was one of many British reissues. If you want a large image of Moore, that one is a good choice.
Basically the Bonds were frequently reissued together in just about every conceivable combination. 2 Connery's, 2 Moore's, Moore/Connery, Connery/Lazenby, Connery/Eastwood, Moore/Pink Panther, etc. I think the reissues ended in the late 1980's, when Timothy Dalton took over. Simes can give you a better rundown on them than I can. Over to you, Simon......

Should there be anyone interested;

Dr No / FRWL Quad - yellow background
Dr No / FRWL Quad - yellow background with boxed lines
Dr No / FRWL Quad - white background
Dr No / Thunderball Quad
Dr No / YOLT Quad
Dr No / Gf Quad
Goldfinger / Thunderball Quad
Goldfinger / Thunderball Quad (text only)
YOLT / Thunderball Quad
YOLT / FRWL Quad
YOLT / OHMSS Quad
DAF / FRWL Quad - without central typesetting
DAF / FRWL Quad - with central typesetting
DAF / OHMSS Quad
LALD / OHMSS Quad
Gg / LALD Quad - diagonal split design
Gg / LALD Quad - RM in central circle design
Spy / LALD Quad
Spy / LALD b/w Quad
Mr / Spy Quad
Mr / Gg Quad
FYEO / Mr Quad
Oct / FYEO Quad
Oct / FYEO / Thunderball Quad
James Bond Festival teaser Quad
James Bond Festival Quad
James Bond - Spend Sundays With Quad

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9769 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »

That reminds me a lot of Hergé.  Really cool.

T

Thanks!  It does have a action-comic feel for sure... my wife loved it immediately and mentioned it looked like a (6.5' tall!) panel straight out of a adventure comic book. 

But I hadn't considered the Hergé connection.  On this wikipedia page it said Hergé's early work and influences were from the 1920s and 1930s -- which would mean this 1919 Italian predates even them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_claire

I'm curious if anyone else has run into designs like this from the teens or earlier...  Apparently the film was very much ahead of it's time.  I wouldn't be surprised if the art was as well.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9770 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »
For those also interested, the Bonds were also paired with other films. There were quads made for

YOLT / FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE
GOLDFINGER / A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
THUNDERBALL / HANG 'EM HIGH
DAF / GOLD (Roger Moore & Susanna York goldmine flick)
SPY WHO LOVED ME / REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9771 on: April 10, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
Thanks!  It does have a action-comic feel for sure... my wife loved it immediately and mentioned it looked like a (6.5' tall!) panel straight out of a adventure comic book. 

But I hadn't considered the Hergé connection.  On this wikipedia page it said Hergé's early work and influences were from the 1920s and 1930s -- which would mean this 1919 Italian predates even them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_claire

I'm curious if anyone else has run into designs like this from the teens or earlier...  Apparently the film was very much ahead of it's time.  I wouldn't be surprised if the art was as well.

Hi Harry, Some of the early 1900s stage poster art reminds me of this style as well.  Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9772 on: April 10, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »
Can you think of any examples off hand?  Most of the stage play posters I'm familiar with have regular shaded/drawn shadows -- not the "clear line" comic-type shadows on this Filibus poster (and later Tin Tin comics).

EDIT: Thank you for your response by the way!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9773 on: April 10, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
Can you think of any examples off hand?  Most of the stage play posters I'm familiar with have regular shaded/drawn shadows -- not the "clear line" comic-type shadows on this Filibus poster (and later Tin Tin comics).

Not exact style, Harry, but do you think this Dick Whittington from the EMP site qualifies and it's white space line/lighting technique?  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9774 on: April 10, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »

Also, see what you think bout this The Only Way poster, Harry?  Not the shading, but the comic feel.  Okie
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:46:52 PM by okiehawker »