Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2834150 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9625 on: March 07, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »
since when is a seller given the opportunity to rescind the sale?

is this seriously a practice that any auction would engage in?

If so, wouldn't such a practice be universally condemned by the collecting community?

Not the same as what was being described.  Bruce has posted on this before.  Bruce will remove a sale from the archives if the sale is cancelled for one of two reasons.  First, someone points out that the poster is not as represented in the sale.  It was a re-release, bootleg, etc.  Under those circumstances, Bruce will offer a refund and if accepted, remove the sale from the archive.  That seems fair.

I believe the other condition is when the buyer files a claim that the poster is not what was represented, usually on condition.  I haven't heard on this case.  I had one poster slightly damaged in shipping and wrote to Bruce.  It suddenly turned into a complicated mess of filing damage claims to the shipper and eventually I just decided it was best to live with the damage (cheap poster)

I'm not sure how Bruce deals with auction results when the buyer doesn't pay.  I suspect these are also not included, but I have no experience there.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9626 on: March 07, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »
Jay, I was quoting T's post.

If any auctioneer anywhere is allowing consignors to rescind a sale any time after the moment it is listed for sale, that is wrong and no auction house should allow it.

buyer issues are an entirely different matter

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9627 on: March 07, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
Jay, I was quoting T's post.

If any auctioneer anywhere is allowing consignors to rescind a sale any time after the moment it is listed for sale, that is wrong and no auction house should allow it.

buyer issues are an entirely different matter

If the buyer misread the description and thought he was buying a one sheet, later called Bruce and informed him of his mistake, and Bruce let him off the hook, I don't see what the problem is.  We all make mistakes.  I thought it was a one sheet and initially stated that the price was low.  I didn't even know there was an undersized version of this poster.  Had I bought it, especially at that price, I would have probably asked Bruce to cancel the sale, and I assume he would have sold it to the next person in line.  It's not worth getting into a fight with a customer and losing said customer.  I'm just surprised it completely disappeared.  It's the first time I see an item disappear.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9628 on: March 07, 2018, 06:30:26 PM »
oh jeez.. I must have still been on my first coffee.. I thought you said "seller"

I did not realize it was not the US version.  Now it sold for too much.  I wonder if the buyer realized it afterwards and pulled out of the sale.  Still, it should be showing up on Bruce's archive.

I even highlighted it in my post. not awake enough yet to pay attention.. lol

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9629 on: March 07, 2018, 07:21:21 PM »
If the buyer misread the description and thought he was buying a one sheet, later called Bruce and informed him of his mistake, and Bruce let him off the hook, I don't see what the problem is.  We all make mistakes.  I thought it was a one sheet and initially stated that the price was low.  I didn't even know there was an undersized version of this poster.  Had I bought it, especially at that price, I would have probably asked Bruce to cancel the sale, and I assume he would have sold it to the next person in line.  It's not worth getting into a fight with a customer and losing said customer.  I'm just surprised it completely disappeared.  It's the first time I see an item disappear.

T

Nah, I agree with Rich, now that I understand.  If the auction is properly described and you put a bid in, you need to own it.  I have bought items from everybody over the years because I didn't bother to read the full description before placing a bid.  Just suck it up and hope someone else outbids you.  If not, just smile and pay up.

My best example was when I bought a trashy car stereo amplifier.  I was looking for specific items while waiting for my friends to meet me.  I saw them walk in the door and waved to them.  Bad move.
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9630 on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »
Nah, I agree with Rich, now that I understand.  If the auction is properly described and you put a bid in, you need to own it.  I have bought items from everybody over the years because I didn't bother to read the full description before placing a bid.  Just suck it up and hope someone else outbids you.  If not, just smile and pay up.

My best example was when I bought a trashy car stereo amplifier.  I was looking for specific items while waiting for my friends to meet me.  I saw them walk in the door and waved to them.  Bad move.

well I'm glad u agree with me, even though my post was incorrect for the reason I stated in my last post.

For some reason I haven't been controlling my sugar well lately and my cognitive abilities early in my day are suffering

good thing my quarterly doc visit is in a couple weeks

however I do agree that when you bid, you should own it, because my only interest after I list it is to move it out and if you aren't going to pay, don't bid.

different situation than the PF poster though. I can understand every bidder wanting out of that, especially when even though he 'guarantees' it, he doesn't post any information in the listing noting WHY he guarantees it to be authentic, why it's that size, where it could be from and why it's never been seen before.

something that is lacking in numerous descriptions on important items
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:55:09 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9631 on: March 07, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
I think this one is a fluke.  I wish I could see the original post on Emovie, but I don't remember seeing the size of the poster in the title.  If I had, I would have known it wasn't the right one.  I almost wanted to bid at some point, but ended up not bidding because I already own the poster and it flew past what I wanted to bid.  Not knowing that another undersized poster existed, I had no reason to look further.  My bad, I guess.  From what I gather, no one knows for sure if it is even authentic.  For all we know, the folks at Emovie may have realized it was a mistake, informed the seller and canceled the sale.  If the buyer made a mistake, $1,300 is a lot of money for a lot of people and I can understand why he/she would have asked Bruce to cancel the sale.  If Bruce is okay with it, then maybe he'll relist it at a later time.  People do make mistake, and I don't think you should own it.  Not at $1,300.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #9632 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »
Yes, $1,300 is too much for the poster, and if it was a mistake, it's quite a costly one. Obviously the consignor would be unhappy but I doubt he/she would be if that person is rational, knowing that the poster wasn't supposed to go that high anyway and frankly just happened to strike lottery on this one.

Personally I don't think a person needs to pay up if that person realised it was a genuine mistake (not to be abused here at whim and fancy), since like T said, we all make mistakes. You really can't force a person to pay. $1,300 may be peanuts to some but it is still a sizeable amount.
J

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9633 on: March 07, 2018, 10:29:19 PM »
Anyone bidding $1,300 on something should know exactly what they are doing and what they are agreeing to purchase before clicking "bid"
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9634 on: March 07, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
You're right, Chris, but I have a habit of checking auctions the day of, or the day before, and sometimes I overlook things that I end up bidding on at the very last moment.  We all have our ways of doing things and to err is human.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9635 on: March 07, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
  I'm just surprised it completely disappeared.  It's the first time I see an item disappear.
T

No it's not - you saw them delete the reprint Godzilla poster they sold as an original a few weeks ago.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9636 on: March 07, 2018, 10:39:09 PM »
It also makes you wonder what all the other bidders thought they were bidding on (and what it was described as) to get it up to that $1300.00 mark in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:40:24 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9637 on: March 07, 2018, 10:40:55 PM »
I think this one is a fluke.  I wish I could see the original post on Emovie, but I don't remember seeing the size of the poster in the title.  If I had, I would have known it wasn't the right one.  I almost wanted to bid at some point, but ended up not bidding because I already own the poster and it flew past what I wanted to bid.  Not knowing that another undersized poster existed, I had no reason to look further.  My bad, I guess.  From what I gather, no one knows for sure if it is even authentic.  For all we know, the folks at Emovie may have realized it was a mistake, informed the seller and canceled the sale.  If the buyer made a mistake, $1,300 is a lot of money for a lot of people and I can understand why he/she would have asked Bruce to cancel the sale.  If Bruce is okay with it, then maybe he'll relist it at a later time.  People do make mistake, and I don't think you should own it.  Not at $1,300.

absolutely.

I'd like to know how it came to be described as authentic and what evidence there is of that (and why it wasn't in the listing)

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9638 on: March 07, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »
Found it online. And for perusal:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:35:00 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9639 on: March 07, 2018, 11:49:48 PM »
Where did you find it?

So now I see its title and I understand why I thought is was the one sheet.  Advance, 1994, ultra rare...

Thanks Jeff.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #9640 on: March 08, 2018, 12:51:55 AM »
Anyone bidding $1,300 on something should know exactly what they are doing and what they are agreeing to purchase before clicking "bid"

Definitely. I know I would, and so will everyone who doesn't have $1,300 to throw around, but I really am inclined to believe that there is a chance it was an error on the bidder's part which was entirely genuine. Not to say this is an excuse to rescind, but shit does happen once in awhile.
J

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9641 on: March 08, 2018, 12:58:42 AM »
Google find.

The steady bid climb continued, all the way to that winning, high bid, as the bid history here shows. Winner Ma609481 knew what he was after, since the under bidder topped out at $1250.00:

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:17:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9642 on: March 08, 2018, 01:03:09 AM »
the bidders definitely knew what they were doing, based on what they believed. However, it has clearly not been paid, item withdrawn. But because it's a secret, no one is ever going to tell anyone anything

and T.. I had mentioned in my initial post, that you could find it on Google by doing a search

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9643 on: March 08, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
HOLY SHIT ON THIS KEATON LOT!!  JULIEN'S CRUSHED IT ON THOSE.....A VERY SAD STORY WHERE THESE CAME FROM THOUGH.... crying

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/251/lot/100486?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F251

AFTER THE HAMMER THAT IS A WHOPPING $25,600    THAT IS $1500 A CARD!!

Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9644 on: March 08, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
And given the $6-8K estimate for that lot, the consignor of those Keaton cards has to be VERY happy!!   woohoo

Keaton is alive and well!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:55:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9645 on: March 08, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
It was a mutilation clear and simple of one of the great all time collections that was not suppose to be sold from the archive that negotiated the deal....we have discussed the collection in old posts...I still don't know why Osian's would do this...here is where they originally came from:

http://www.leonardschradercollection.com/

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/02/lobbycards200802

The Collection consists of 8,462 vintage lobby-cards and 5,000 related items - many the sole surviving traces of long-lost silent films - acquired by late screenwriter/filmmaker Leonard Schrader over the course of 27 years. While Schrader preserved his collection with painstaking care in hundreds of 13x15 photographer’s albums - or “binders” - mysteriously he left no written inventory or index of this vast archive’s contents.

“The collection has been sold, as a whole, and will be soon shipped abroad. The transaction is in final stages of conclusion and the buyer intends to make his own announcement soon, so that is all I can say right now.

“Suffice to say no one in this country had the vision or resources to compete. But the Schrader collection appears to have found the home it deserves – one that’s very much in keeping with the current zeitgeist.”

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:10:19 PM by erik1925 »
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9646 on: March 08, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
If these cards were pulled from that wonderful collection, when it was agreed previously that the entire Schrader Collection would remain intact, then pulling the rug like this was not good.

Any idea how this came about? Or did Osian's always have the right to auction off (any) part of the collection, if they so chose?

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9647 on: March 08, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
Was the original sale price ever disclosed?

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9648 on: March 08, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
They were from that collection....the condition is identical and many of them are the only known example....I have access to the original digital archive that was made back in 2010ish....For research purposes i examined every piece closely back then...it really is a once in a lifetime opportunity

His widow shopped them around for some time trying to find a suitable spot for the entire collection...Osian's film archive in India purchased the entire collection and housed it there in entirety for some time...the 180+ Keaton cards were the greatest collection of his silent film lobby cards in existence...according to Michael Hawks who examined them and has a remarkable collection himself

All in all this group of 96 keaton lobby cards sold at Julien's today for over $90,000 after the hammer
Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9649 on: March 08, 2018, 05:13:16 PM »
Was the original sale price ever disclosed?

No
Tait