Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2833916 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9500 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
The original Swedish release posters are nice also.
There is just no way that poster is worth more than double what this one sold for.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9501 on: December 18, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
yep. I just can't believe that 3 color monstrosity is a 1933 release

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9502 on: December 18, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
With all the potentials of this being a possible, later RR, it is amazing that someone chucked out that kind of coin for it.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9503 on: December 18, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
Seems it was also ID'd here as a '33 poster:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4098401.html

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9504 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »
Seems it was also ID'd here as a '33 poster:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4098401.html

they also say this is frazetta art
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4865968

and they don't say this is a reprint (there is no 1970s reissue)
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2841750.html

I don't believe that Kong is a first release poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9505 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
not only is it ugly, I'm not so sure it's the original release poster, seeing as we know that the 1938R is a gorgeous color piece

I'd like to say it is a 40s or 50s reissue

I was comparing the film logos  shown on both the color and tri color posters and each is different. The opening credits of the movie show the Radio Pictures logo (as is also shown on the color poster).

The tri color poster has the RKO Radio Films logo, which was a later incarnation. So that would also seem to suggest that the ebay-sold poster is a later RR.

Here is the opening credit sequence to Kong ( it starts @ the 2:00 mark), showing the Radio Pictures logo:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lLOUQuoS0AI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lLOUQuoS0AI</a>
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 07:02:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9506 on: December 19, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
Original release Kong posters (from everywhere) use the original RKO closing logo with the extra squiggle in the electric bolt.
You can see it on in the closing credits here:

There is no way that red poster is an original release.

I'm sure Bruce knows this fact, no idea why he would label his database photo otherwise, but it certainly isn't the only incorrect info in there.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9507 on: December 28, 2017, 10:44:11 PM »
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/12.html

Who is Noah27 he has been on a tear at emovie the last several auctions... some deep. deep pockets.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9508 on: December 28, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »
I was noticing that too.  I always wonder if someone like that is a collector or a dealer.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4531

« Reply #9509 on: December 29, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »
I was noticing that too.  I always wonder if someone like that is a collector or a dealer.

T

He could be also an asset manager, or an insurer/underwriters, or a bit of both  thumbsup.gif

"VALUE PROTECTION
Documenting value is one of the initial steps in underwriting fine art protection. The constantly fluctuating art market is a substantial factor in determining the value of an individual piece or a whole collection.  Over the years art prices have soared – increasing more than 20-fold since 1985, according to some experts – increasing the value of most artwork across the board, and forcing the need to properly insure. As the value of art goes up, so do insurance premiums, which are calculated on the value of the artwork. Collectors and museums are finding themselves reevaluating their works on a regular basis. [...]  Either way, underwriters will request evidence of an artwork’s value, including a recent bill of sale or appraisal."

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9510 on: December 29, 2017, 01:35:39 AM »
Every now and again there is a bidder that goes way over the top buying lots of pieces on Bruce's auctions and then backs off for a few months...

The thing that struck me as odd is that 90% of those cards have been auctioned in the past 2 years and there was no urgency to bid so much on (in some cases) relatively easily obtainable material....but to each their own..

There was only 1 absolute unicorn in that lobby card auction....it's never been auctioned before and you most likely will never see it again...

Any guesses?
Tait

guest4531

« Reply #9511 on: December 29, 2017, 05:38:38 AM »
This is why the idea of him (or few others) being a stocker/asset manager or even better an underwriter is odd but possible, but for sure it is pretty funny.
The fact there is no urgency to bid on it is odd indeed; but somehow they are still rare items with high interest. 

Any guess ?
TAILSPIN TOMMY TC 1934
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4876120

guest4955

« Reply #9512 on: December 29, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
Somebody bought this supposed 9/10 folded Forbidden Planet for retail price of $10k.

When? 3 pm Christmas Eve: Trump tax cut euphoria, Christmas blues, who knows?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9513 on: December 29, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
There was only 1 absolute unicorn in that lobby card auction....it's never been auctioned before and you most likely will never see it again...
Any guesses?

Three Ages
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9515 on: December 29, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »
Nice shape too! 

I picked up this Russian poster for 3 Ages a while back...  Caveman Keaton looks pretty silly, but it is very rare.

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9516 on: December 29, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
GREAT POSTER MATT!!  Hopefully you didn't pay anywhere close to the $39,000 that Heritage fetched for the 1 sheet in Nov. 2013!!

Its always been a major challenge to find anything from this film...I think partially because it was an experimental feature for Keaton and it wasnt a major release..he made it into 3 separate narratives so that they could be broken up and sold as individual short films if it didn't perform well as a feature..It still doesn't completely explain why the posters are so rare..

To my knowledge there hasn't even been a complete lobby card set to surface...Leonard Schrader had 5 different scene cards which now reside in Osian's film archive in India (including this same scene card and the one Morrie sold)..Heritage sold a different scene...so that makes 6....still don't know what the other 2 cards are!!

...I was the big winner of the Three Ages card AND the Sherlock JR. card!!  I'm beyond stoked...Merry Christmas to ME!!
Tait

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9517 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:23 PM »
Thanks and congrats on winning the cards!  I've been forcing encouraging my kids to watch old Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd films.  After Modern Times, I think Sherlock Jr. may be their favorite :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9518 on: December 30, 2017, 03:32:27 AM »
You should have them watching Laurel and Hardy...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9519 on: December 30, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
You should have them watching Laurel and Hardy...

Thanks Paul... any recommendations to start?  They are only 4 and 6 so it needs to be pretty tame.  My 6 year old still won't watch Disney/Pixar movies as they are too intense.  And they always kill off the parents in the first scene!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9520 on: December 30, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
My 6 year old still won't watch Disney/Pixar movies as they are too intense.  And they always kill off the parents in the first scene!

Watched Toy Story with the twins last night - no killing of parents
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9521 on: December 30, 2017, 02:09:38 PM »
No, but that one has a severely demented kid next door who tortures the characters and blows stuff up!  ;D

My 4 year old is fine with it. And Monsters Inc, Frozen, Nemo, Iron Giant, etc... she also told me recently she wants to see Star Wars, King Kong and Godzilla.  I think my 6 year old just gets really wrapped up in things and is very affected by all the highs and lows and dramatic music. When she watches cartoons she prefers Miyazaki (Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki). Even then it’s clear she would rather be watching live action films. Her favorite flicks are Top Hat, Shall we Dance, Roman Holiday, My Favorite Wife, It Happened One Night, Modern Times, Singin in the Rain, etc...

Keep in mind I was watching Terminator and Eastwood westerns at her age!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9522 on: December 30, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »
A 1929-1930 RR POTO half sheet Ive not seen before. Beautiful imagery with light tinting to the characters. It had some restoration, which looks to have been done quite well, too. Not having been paper backed or placed on linen, I wonder if it was gel backed?

Here's what was done, per the seller's description:

"This poster was professionally restored but was not paperbacked or placed on linen. The restoration was well done and addressed several edge tears; vertical foldline wear; pinholes.  The upper left corner of the poster from the top edge of the “P” in Phantom to the corner point was missing and was expertly recreated. The recreated triangle corner measures 4 ˝” x 5” x 7”

It sold for a high, winning bid of $2950.00.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:25:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9523 on: December 30, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
No, but that one has a severely demented kid next door who tortures the characters and blows stuff up!  ;D

My 4 year old is fine with it. And Monsters Inc, Frozen, Nemo, Iron Giant, etc... she also told me recently she wants to see Star Wars, King Kong and Godzilla.  I think my 6 year old just gets really wrapped up in things and is very affected by all the highs and lows and dramatic music. When she watches cartoons she prefers Miyazaki (Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki). Even then it’s clear she would rather be watching live action films. Her favorite flicks are Top Hat, Shall we Dance, Roman Holiday, My Favorite Wife, It Happened One Night, Modern Times, Singin in the Rain, etc...

Keep in mind I was watching Terminator and Eastwood westerns at her age!
I once saw an interview with Walt where he said that he put a scary scene in all his movies.  He didn't want the kids watching it to think that the world was all fun and games.

A good party conversation starter is to ask people which Disney movie makes them uneasy.  It always seems to be the one they saw when they were 4-5.  Pinocchio for me.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9524 on: December 30, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
Well, I'm a little different.  I really have no affinity for old B&W Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton and others, so my kids will not be watching them (my wife doesn't even know what they are).  I will show them, in time, classic Hollywood movies of my choosing.  Even B&W stuff like the Weissmuller's Tarzans.  Like with my posters, I can't see myself going pre-1940.

Right now, they're all about Coco.  Saw it on the big screen, then probably 3 times on TV, and now on my laptop :)

We love Pixar and OF COURSE we love Star Wars!!!

T
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:18:17 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)