Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2835175 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9450 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
Am surprised Attack of the 50ft Woman only made $6.5k.  Thought in times past this was a $20k poster...  Not that I know anything about this genre.

Did you look at the condition on this one? All the borders had been trimmed and replaced as well as many other problems.
The one in last year's HA November auction brought just over $7K, so the result is consistent with that, and the last one Bruce sold was just over $5K, but yes in unrestored condition this poster demands a nice premium (as it should). I'm not aware of any auction results for the one-sheet that hit $20K, but certainly a nice unbacked copy will hit the mid-high teens in price and might sell privately for more.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9451 on: November 20, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
Here's a result, from back in Sept. of 2013. This folded and un-backed copy sold for $19,000.00

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/3397418.html

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9452 on: November 20, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
New message from: bigdplus (3,208Red Star)
As You can see, the movie poster is very, very Beautiful. I bought this in 1970 at a convention that I
put on in Oklahoma City. It was called, MULTI-CON 70. We had Buster Crabbe as our main
guest. Back then, you could buy an ACTION ONE FOR BETWEEN $200 AND $500. So my money
did not go too far because there was so much wonderful stuff to be bought. This Con was the First in
The Southwest to have over 500 people attend, the First to have more than 100 Dealers Tables and
the First one to have a big name Movie Star as a guest.

Don Maris is one of the guys who used to run a great show in Dallas. the Big D!
I did it for a number of years in the 80s-90s and let me tell you, driving to Dallas from anywhere is a slog..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9453 on: November 20, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
The first release (1942) US OS for Casablanca just sold for only $14,000.00 and Matt's Italian '62RR went for $90K.

Amazing what this hobby shows and the results it produces! It makes for a lot of fun, that's for sure.

It is certainly amazing what Heritage has done for this title in general. It was only 5-6 years ago that a $16,700 result for this title in this condition would have been thought of as a strong price, now it's seen as a disappointment by some.

Heritage has now sold 8 pieces from this title for six-figures plus (for over $1.5 million total) led by the beautiful Italian poster for $478,000(!!) and an equal number of posters for $50-99,000.
Simply Amazing.

Sure, maybe some other auction house could possibly one day sell a poster for six-figures - but of the 36 posters sold at public auction that have achieved $100,000 or higher Heritage auctioned an amazing 29 of them(!) and no other auction house has achieved a six-figure result since 2001.

They might not have a "For Millionaires Only" sign on the auction door, but I certainly want them to keep inviting as many of those millionaires as possible to bid when I sell a poster (is that Matt shaking his head in agreement I see?).
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9454 on: November 20, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
on the Casablanca 1 sheet, it was:

1) linenbacked
2) Only C-6/7

to anyone who believes that linebacking your posters is a 'benefit' such a result as this should explain clearly that well-heeled collectors disagree. The linenbacked 1sh never achieves a top price anymore, especially compared to the raw copies.

I bought 3 pieces in HA's sale and one was linenbacked, however the likelihood I will find another copy of the UK poster for Speed Demon (1914) is so small that I don't have much option.

Linenbacking when necessary is one thing. Linenbacking as a general methodology is a fool's game.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9455 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Linenbacking when necessary is one thing. Linenbacking as a general methodology is a fool's game.

I wholeheartedly AGREE. Some of the things I bought that were linenbacked, I now wish i had waited for to appear in original, non-linenbacked form.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9456 on: November 21, 2017, 12:11:21 AM »
I wholeheartedly AGREE. Some of the things I bought that were linenbacked, I now wish i had waited for to appear in original, non-linenbacked form.

my ratio of raw to linenbacked one sheets in my collection has to be 200-1 or better and I only sent 1 out myself to get backed.
soon that poster will be on my sales list

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9457 on: November 21, 2017, 12:29:55 AM »
my ratio of raw to linenbacked one sheets in my collection has to be 200-1 or better and I only sent 1 out myself to get backed.
soon that poster will be on my sales list

And with buying posters that are already L-backed, you never know what you are getting, restoration-wise (vs. having the work done yourself).

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9458 on: November 21, 2017, 12:34:46 AM »
And even when one does have the work done him/herself, the work can sometimes be much less than expected. Examples of this kind of sub-par work have been shown here on the forum, from time to time, too.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9459 on: November 21, 2017, 03:23:53 AM »
Did you look at the condition on this one? All the borders had been trimmed and replaced as well as many other problems.
The one in last year's HA November auction brought just over $7K, so the result is consistent with that, and the last one Bruce sold was just over $5K, but yes in unrestored condition this poster demands a nice premium (as it should). I'm not aware of any auction results for the one-sheet that hit $20K, but certainly a nice unbacked copy will hit the mid-high teens in price and might sell privately for more.

Ah, no I didn't.

But then, all at HA is Fine / Mear Mint without going into the images...

Thanks.

guest4955

« Reply #9460 on: November 21, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
Am surprised Attack of the 50ft Woman only made $6.5k.  Thought in times past this was a $20k poster...  Not that I know anything about this genre.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/attack-of-the-50-foot-woman-allied-artists-1958-one-sheet-27-x-41-reynold-brown-artwork/a/7167-86457.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Eye opening, isn't it?

Dos days later....

Fast forward a month:

guest4955

« Reply #9461 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:17 PM »
Not an MP but WAY more interesting....

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9462 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
I noticed on the description of the Dracula that it was recently discovered as the second copy known. Anyone know where it was discovered?

It was owned by noted film historian Lt. Col. George J. Mitchell, Jr., an Associate Member of the American Society of Cinematographers. He owned it since the 1950s before his family placed it in the auction.
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #9463 on: November 22, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »
Most-watched MP on eBay for last week (52 watchers):

Still a bargain:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9464 on: November 22, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »
Oh shit, completely forgot about that Ferris :(. I wanted to buy another one.  Great price too.  Been shopping all day for thanksgiving.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9465 on: November 22, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
Oh shit, completely forgot about that Ferris :(. I wanted to buy another one.  Great price too.  Been shopping all day for thanksgiving.

T

I just couldn't justify that price, just for English text.  Bought my French 1P a few years ago for under $100
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #9466 on: November 22, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »
I just couldn't justify that price, just for English text.  Bought my French 1P a few years ago for under $100

Ditto! Except mine is Italian:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9467 on: November 22, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »

With such a low selling price, a dealer could easily make $500 to $1k on it, though.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9468 on: November 22, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
With such a low selling price, a dealer could easily make $500 to $1k on it, though.

T

my rolled copy looks better all the time

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9469 on: November 23, 2017, 01:56:21 AM »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9470 on: November 25, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
nice, but not that nice!

Yeah, I dont get it either. But a couple people thought it worth battling up to the $4K mark. I don't look at WC Fields posters/lc/wd etc, so maybe this LC is more rare card from a movie where little advert material has ever surfaced?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9471 on: November 25, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »
Yeah, I dont get it either. But a couple people thought it worth battling up to the $4K mark. I don't look at WC Fields posters/lc/wd etc, so maybe this LC is more rare card from a movie where little advert material has ever surfaced?  dontknow.gif

this card was a stand-out in outsized pricing, but I suggest it is bought by someone in one or more of these categories:

1) needed this card to complete the set
2) a favorite scene and I have never found the card before
3) I have tons of money, who gives a shit
4) I have tons of money, who gives a shit
5) I have tons of money, who gives a shit and who cares what you think

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9472 on: November 25, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
All valid points.

;D

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9473 on: December 04, 2017, 05:44:57 AM »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9474 on: December 04, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
What a horrible article.
Basically, collectibles are dumb people could do so much more with money than buy things they want
www.Kaijuposters.com