Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2791136 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »
In other words, tell me your personal view of the factual-conflict or error in calling a poster of minimal availability "rare". What guidelines or hobby standard define your views of rare; and how "a long time passing" relates to anything in my previous post. Preciate it.

I didnt see it as a difficult concept, but I think your dislike for Dave has clouded your vision on this one.  He says that in every one of his auctions.  The literal meaning of what he says is another way of saying the poster is rarely available and not "rare". 

My personal view on the term "rare" is that it can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but should mean nothing to a buyer.  If you are buying a poster simply because someone has said it is rare or because you think it is rare, then chances are you are going to be disappointed.  The only dictatorial aspects rareness brings to a buyer is how long that buyer will likely have to look for a poster and how much he will pay when he finds it.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2010, 08:48:09 PM »
The literal meaning of what he says is another way of saying the poster is rarely available and not "rare".
That is exactly what I read into your comment.

Carson

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »
I see. On De Niro's forum many are fresh off google of course. I once had a collector tell me re: James Giant Peach B2 I should sell it "cheaper" because of all the "chinese writing on it". When posting FS there I always tried to be clear about the rarity of Intl material in relation to US material of same title, in particular when a B1 like Twilight featured the same US art. "Rare", i.e., not just another of the hundreds of US copies.

I don't mind Dave so much, he's the Justin Timberlake of dealers. He's bringing sexy back to collecting. Thanks for your view above.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »
yeah Mel.. I used to have is on the wall at the office. time for someone else to have fun.. you gotta admit, the damage is fairly consisitent with the style of the poster image and adds an extra dimension to it

Here's my exceptionally lame Photoshop response:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
georget271 sold several Star Wars posters today on Ebay and drew a lot of bids.  (I checked them out and asked questions and they were all originals to the best of my knowledge.) I bid $250 for a Star Wars C but it went for $300.  The Star Wars A (mislabeled by the seller) and Empire Strikes Back "Gone With Wind" and Vader helmet went for around $100.  The ROTJ light saber went for $27.  Not big news but generally shows the typical prices for those posters nowadays on Ebay if you're in the market for them.  (And if anybody wants to sell a Star Wars C for $250ish let me know - I'm in the market.)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:15:57 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
that Style-C was superbly cheap and had I known about it I would have happily bid much higher

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
that Style-C was superbly cheap and had I known about it I would have happily bid much higher

Rich, your Supervixens went for $102 tonight at your auction.  They always seem to be pricey.  And I really have no clue why  ;)

On the other hand, your torn Stars Wars D fetched $6.  ???

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »
Rich, your Supervixens went for $102 tonight at your auction.  They always seem to be pricey.  And I really have no clue why  ;)

On the other hand, your torn Stars Wars D fetched $6.  ???

yeah the Star wars style D missing 1/6 only got $6.. but Shari Eubanks double-D is worth at least $102

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
The stone-litho reproductions of some famous horror movie posters went for big bucks tonight on Emovie.  "This company (S2 Art Group) bought 100 year-old lithograph presses, and completely refurbished them, and recreated stone litho printing plates for classic movie posters, and then printed them on the 100 year-old presses, in exactly the same way the posters were originally printed."

A quick Google search led to Barewalls.com, which sells these posters for $350, if anybody is interested.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
I like this thread a lot and I've pinned it.  There's enough auctions out there that it should keep going quite nicely.

Someone was after a Charlie Chan festival poster tonight that went for almost $200.  Way out of my league for an ad poster like that, though I could see a Chan fan going for it in that it's from the 50's.

I thought it was a bit insane to pay the money those folks did for reproductions.  I actually imagined bidding on them and I hear Thierry wispering in my mind's ear "WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?!"

To me, the big news is the insert for Metropolis that Heritage is putting up in its March signature auction. Frankly, I'd trade my entire collection -- really ... right now - for that single insert.  Betcha that one hits $350,000.

Are there bidders that you wish you knew who was behind the username so that you could track them down and hurt them?

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
Hurt them?  Nah.  Would love to be a proxy bidder for some of the deep pockets, though.  Nothing better than playing with other people's money - all the thrill of the auction experience without the sticker shock at the end

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »
The stone-litho reproductions of some famous horror movie posters went for big bucks tonight on Emovie.  "This company (S2 Art Group) bought 100 year-old lithograph presses, and completely refurbished them, and recreated stone litho printing plates for classic movie posters, and then printed them on the 100 year-old presses, in exactly the same way the posters were originally printed."

A quick Google search led to Barewalls.com, which sells these posters for $350, if anybody is interested.

Yeah and then you can consign your Dracula S2 to Profiles as an original and it will be deja vu all over again!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2010, 09:53:12 PM »
To me, the big news is the insert for Metropolis that Heritage is putting up in its March signature auction. Frankly, I'd trade my entire collection -- really ... right now - for that single insert.  Betcha that one hits $350,000.

I think this is a fantastic poster as well.  I cannot understand why it is not really getting any build up prior to the auction?

Due to this fact, I don't see it coming anywhere near $350,000, Holiday.  I could see $100,000 maybe...Heritage seems much more enamoured with the Swedish King Kong (is it a re-release - I thought that art was used for the 1949 release?) they have - which is also very, very nice.
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
Perhaps there is already a buyer in mind for the Metropolis?
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
It's ok to admit it is YOU Ves  ;D
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
Oh fark.  If ONLY that were remotely possible.  Like Holiday, I'd probably give up everything I own for that one...
Ves

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 10:26:16 PM »
I can only look and see:  a) the prices paid in the past for any Metropolis paper, and b) the rarity of any such paper coming to market, to take a shot at the price.  Maybe in these tough times, it won't come close.  But OMG, if there was ever a poster worth spending some money on, it's that one.  It really strikes me between the eyes, in a good way.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
I can only look and see:  a) the prices paid in the past for any Metropolis paper, and b) the rarity of any such paper coming to market, to take a shot at the price.  Maybe in these tough times, it won't come close.  But OMG, if there was ever a poster worth spending some money on, it's that one.  It really strikes me between the eyes, in a good way.

Like I said, I agree with you Holiday that it SHOULD be a poster that is valued in the top percentile of posters...

Maybe Heritage will ramp up the marketing in the next month or so?  Although, as Ves said, it's quite possible that since it would fall into a niche market of collectors, those who can and will bid on it already know about it and that is all that's needed.
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »
I think this is a fantastic poster as well.  I cannot understand why it is not really getting any build up prior to the auction?

Due to this fact, I don't see it coming anywhere near $350,000, Holiday.  I could see $100,000 maybe...Heritage seems much more enamoured with the Swedish King Kong (is it a re-release - I thought that art was used for the 1949 release?) they have - which is also very, very nice.

According to the auction listing it's an original

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »
Will the Metropolis insert be the highest selling item in the auction, or will the Swedish KK Oversized top it?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »
Will the Metropolis insert be the highest selling item in the auction, or will the Swedish KK Oversized top it?

The Metropolis insert will probably end up in the $75k-125k range. It is different than the other paper. The King Kong is 1938 and Morrie Everett sold one in one of his auctions at Cinevent for $6-8k maybe 4 years ago

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »
I shuold say.. I thought 6-8k was cheap when he sold it.. and that it should be closer to 15k

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2010, 11:02:15 PM »
I have done some more digging.  And it looks like the original release 3 sheet DID use that art - so the Swedish is probably just fine.

I think the 1949 release (or thereabouts) daybill uses that art as well which explains my confusion:

Man, if could find one of those!
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »
The Metropolis insert will probably end up in the $75k-125k range. It is different than the other paper. The King Kong is 1938 and Morrie Everett sold one in one of his auctions at Cinevent for $6-8k maybe 4 years ago

Has anyone told Heritage that it's from '38, because their auction description indicates '33