Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832878 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4825 on: April 27, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
Más claro imposible Rosa.  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Mirosae

« Reply #4826 on: April 27, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
 ;D

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4827 on: April 27, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »
yes that is an Argentine poster. The seller originally didn't have it listed correctly, leaving a possibility for it selling low. As it is, the poster sold fairly high for what it is and that can only mean one thing:

it will be restored with English text and title and resold in that fashion to someone for big bucks

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4828 on: April 27, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
The little I display is a reflection of my 'collecting accomplishments'.  If I have to look at it everyday, I want to feel good about, and if I can't feel good about it, I shouldn't have purchased it.    

the worst case I have seen of a misalignment is the Stagecoach 3sh (a copy of which Morrie Everett sold a few years back in Columbus). the incorrect print job is considerable and right through the title.

it is my opinion that seeing as it is difficult to stretch the paper to match (such a project would have a negeative effect down the line as the paper is ultimately a fragile fiber and the fibers would eventually break causing a crack or what we call "scaling" like with an oil painting that looks like a jigsaw puzzle with lots of cracking) the correct solution is probably to section the lower section (in the case of the Stagecoach) so that the letters properly align and to artfully fill in the missing areas between. On the poster shown above by Stephen, it is very easily accomplished seeing as there is no art surrounding the star's credits
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:49:40 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4829 on: April 27, 2013, 05:05:40 PM »
to address something Mel said, indicating how older collectors don't care about misalignments and keep our stuff in boxes

well #1 it is impossible for most any collector - even small ones - to exhibit all their stuff. It's impossible for someone like myself to exhibit what would take a large museum to hold.

second, Mel, some people only collect to have cool things or like cool things etc.
Others, like myself, are historians. We collect the paper for different reasons. My collection of gambling themed posters - you realize that paper from before 1930 is very rare in almost all cases, so you take what you can get until the day comes (if ever) that you see it again.
I'm doing more photography of my collection shortly, I'll post some stuff that is nearly disintegrated. When I do my book, you can believe some pictured material will be in this condition

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4830 on: April 27, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
Although the text could be converted to English relatively easily, it would take quite a bit of work to transform the Spanish one sheet (which the seller claims is 28x41) into a perfect US English one sheet (27x41).  On close inspection the art is not the same.  Compare the blush on her left cheek in the Spanish version to the US version. The hair patterns are different.  The word "Claudette" on the Spanish version is all the way into the flowers. Many other small differences.

Here's a quick and crude Photoshop conversion:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:29:30 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #4831 on: April 27, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
yes that is an Argentine poster. The seller originally didn't have it listed correctly, leaving a possibility for it selling low. As it is, the poster sold fairly high for what it is and that can only mean one thing:

it will be restored with English text and title and resold in that fashion to someone for big bucks

Well, I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but I won it.  Promise not to convert it to a US OS.  Honest!  I lucked out, the top bidder bailed so I got it for less than half the selling price.  Large paper on this film is practically non-existant, so I feel lucky I snagged this one, one of the greatest films of all time :)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4832 on: April 27, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
Luckily it will be enjoyed by a caring collector.
Well done  thumbup
Matias

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4833 on: April 27, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
CONGRATS, Brian!  woohoo woohoo

It is in fine hands and I know you will give it the ultimate TLC it deserves.

Once restored and brought back to its glory, this Argentine OS will look absolutely smashing on your wall!

Well done!!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:27:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4834 on: April 27, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
Nice work, look forward to seeing the restore too
David

Mirosae

« Reply #4835 on: April 27, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »
Well, I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but I won it.  Promise not to convert it to a US OS.  Honest!  I lucked out, the top bidder bailed so I got it for less than half the selling price.  Large paper on this film is practically non-existant, so I feel lucky I snagged this one, one of the greatest films of all time :)

Congratulations to you, and I think that poster got lucky to find such a good home too.  I am sure you will take good care of it. And I am so happy you will bring it back to life. I would love to see it restored....!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4836 on: April 27, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »
good for you Starling...

Mel.. don't you know about the Argentine Bride of Frank poster?

not the only example

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4837 on: April 27, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
good for you Starling...

Mel.. don't you know about the Argentine Bride of Frank poster?

not the only example

I don't Rich. Was one turned into a US one sheet? Is there a link with the story somewhere?  pcorn
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4838 on: April 27, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
Congrats Brian - for once maybe a legit 2nd chance offer?

Please leave it as an Argentine poster - Matias will be very upset otherwise!

I can somewhat understand Spanish language US posters being converted to English US posters but not a poster from another country (i.e. Argentina!) - as Mel points out the artwork is not the same.
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4839 on: April 27, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
I don't Rich. Was one turned into a US one sheet? Is there a link with the story somewhere?  pcorn
a long time ago one was. it isn't the only poster

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4840 on: April 28, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
This beautiful, Paramount WC for the Gloria Swanson lost film, Bluebeard's 8th Wife (aka Bluebeard's Eighth Wife) (1923) sold for a Best Of offer of $775.00

Great color and overall condition.  bed1  And being from a lost film, paper is really the only remaining material for it (aside from stills that may exist).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINT-1923-GLORIA-SWANSON-WINDOW-CARD-STUNNING-RARE-BLUEBEARDS-8TH-WIFE-/121092386946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31ab3082&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4841 on: April 28, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
SOMEONE here needs to own up to this: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2946946

I believe we could see our first member banned...actually two, throw out the underbidder too!
David

Bruce

« Reply #4842 on: April 28, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
I looked at the bidder info, and I am almost 100% certain neither is a member here!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4843 on: April 28, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
I looked at the bidder info, and I am almost 100% certain neither is a member here!

Dammit, a good Bieber lynching is just what this place needs... ;D
David

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #4844 on: April 28, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
I think I speak for all of us when I say that I hope these can be very difficult to find in any condition and that a long time will go by without one of these coming up again for sale.

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4845 on: April 28, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
SOMEONE here needs to own up to this: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2946946

I believe we could see our first member banned...actually two, throw out the underbidder too!

ha! now that's funny! - so let's do some detective work and narrow it down by process of elimination - where do we start? MOPO or movieposterforum?      whip
Stephen Ryan

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #4846 on: April 28, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
I bet there are a lot of speculators here who have one or servealteen but won't admit it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4847 on: April 28, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
Geez it was Thierry - so easy!
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4848 on: April 28, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »
Geez it was Thierry - so easy!

He loves Canadians!  :D

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4849 on: April 28, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »
If this is legit, it looks like somebody got a bargain to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350773056262