Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832108 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4800 on: April 24, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
A linen backed 3sh for BAT went for $3100.00

The seller provided before and after shots, which was a great way to show this. The top section was bought separately and shows some signs of some yellowing, which was explained. They also mention who did the restoration and backing. In this case, the work was done by Studio C.

Before:

After:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Breakfast-at-Tiffanys-3-sheet-movie-poster-Audrey-Hepburn-George-Peppard-/360618015591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6823b67&nma=true&si=VOPMNTs0cmFSTAS7QpmoSEnSBuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #4801 on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »
Before auctioning muti-thousand dollar posters, it might be wise to find a way to photograph them head on (and marring the image with a large distracting website name that covers the best part of the poster might be a turn-off), but what do I know?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4802 on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Amazing they were able to find the missing top portion!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #4803 on: April 24, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »
Amazing they were able to find the missing top portion!

me agrees ...

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4804 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
Huge fan here of 3's/6's but part of the pain of collecting backed material are the two, three or four sections that make up one poster often do not align properly when restored to linen or paper. 

One of those annoying poster problems of the printers not having the ability or proper equipment to be precise.  You see it more from the 30's/40's material then from the 60's/70's.

Hard to tell from the pic but I wouldn't be surprised if there was slight misalignment as even paper that was shipped together often does not align exactly.   I'd think posters made at different times would be more prone to this issue.

I always wondered if an incredibly talented restorer could 'stretch' or 'reduce' the paper when mounting for proper alignment of sections.

Anyone out there wise to restoration have knowledge if this can be done?

Stephen Ryan

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4805 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »

Sure, a talented backer could likely compensate for this. They can stretch a sheet within limits. The time the wheat paste soaks into the paper affects its size (I think the longer it soaks, the bigger it gets). Though there may be problems not being able to stretch if the paper fiber direction in one sheet is different to the adjacent sheet as expansion is more in one direction (not sure which). There are little tricks with restoration to fix small misalignments anyway, with pencil and a little scratching.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4806 on: April 24, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »
Sure, a talented backer could likely compensate for this. They can stretch a sheet within limits. The time the wheat paste soaks into the paper affects its size (I think the longer it soaks, the bigger it gets). Though there may be problems not being able to stretch if the paper fiber direction in one sheet is different to the adjacent sheet as expansion is more in one direction (not sure which). There are little tricks with restoration to fix small misalignments anyway, with pencil and a little scratching.

It's Steve and His Amazing Technicolor Dream Fonts

;D

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4807 on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
It's Steve and His Amazing Technicolor Dream Fonts

;D

:D
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #4808 on: April 25, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »

AY AY AY AY AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4809 on: April 26, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
Huge fan here of 3's/6's but part of the pain of collecting backed material are the two, three or four sections that make up one poster often do not align properly when restored to linen or paper. 

One of those annoying poster problems of the printers not having the ability or proper equipment to be precise.  You see it more from the 30's/40's material then from the 60's/70's.

Hard to tell from the pic but I wouldn't be surprised if there was slight misalignment as even paper that was shipped together often does not align exactly.   I'd think posters made at different times would be more prone to this issue.

I always wondered if an incredibly talented restorer could 'stretch' or 'reduce' the paper when mounting for proper alignment of sections.

I gu4ess I have some problems with this sort of discussion.  Once again, IMHO this is commercial paper and as such is subject ot these sort of imperfections.  They are part of what makes the poster   what it is.  I glory in displaying this sort of minor imperfection, the same way that my posters continue to show folds, pinholes , snipes and censor marks.  To me they help identify the poster and show that it was used for its intended purpose.  A poster that has been overrestored is ruined for me.  Why not just buy a high quality reprint?
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4810 on: April 26, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »
I gu4ess I have some problems with this sort of discussion.  Once again, IMHO this is commercial paper and as such is subject ot these sort of imperfections.  They are part of what makes the poster   what it is.  I glory in displaying this sort of minor imperfection, the same way that my posters continue to show folds, pinholes , snipes and censor marks.  To me they help identify the poster and show that it was used for its intended purpose.  A poster that has been overrestored is ruined for me.  Why not just buy a high quality reprint?

clap
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4811 on: April 26, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »

that's great but most of us would get somewhat bored with this site if we all had the same opinion/beliefs so if you have problems with my, or any discussion, you can avoid the risk by not reading/responding to posts.   And, if you're so accepting to flaws and imperfections - you buy the high quality reprints, tear 'em up, fold them, throw in some pinholes, censor stamp or two, glue on some snipes, then you can display them, be able to identify with them, and have glory.   

Stephen Ryan

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4812 on: April 26, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
Stephen.. I don't think Jay is trying to be mean or otherwise, he's "just sayin"

by the way.. had fun at dinner when you were out here

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4813 on: April 26, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
I agree with Stephen, three sheets display poorly and I don't mind if they are heavily-restored to improve displayability.  The entire white area of my three sheet "Affair In Trinidad" has been painted and it looks great:

I suspect those who love the "glory" of beat-up, misaligned, crappy-looking posters keep them in storage all the time and glance at them once a year at most.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:01:32 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4814 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
Stephen.. I don't think Jay is trying to be mean or otherwise, he's "just sayin"

by the way.. had fun at dinner when you were out here

ah, you're probably right.   Apologies Jay.  Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue (kidding  qip, quote from Airplane! Steve McCroskey, 1980).
Stephen Ryan

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4815 on: April 26, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
I agree with Stephen, three sheets display poorly and I don't mind if they are heavily-restored to improve displayability.  The entire white area of my three sheet "Affair In Trinidad" has been painted and it looks great:

I suspect those who love the "glory" of beat-up, misaligned, crappy-looking posters keep them in storage all the time and glance at them once a year at most.

Thanks - I don't believe any of us would invest time in this biz if we weren't tolerant to imperfections, for me personally, misalignments are not my thing, and I may be wrong but I think a sizable number of us would be hesitant to invest in displaying a poster such as this:

The little I display is a reflection of my 'collecting accomplishments'.  If I have to look at it everyday, I want to feel good about, and if I can't feel good about it, I shouldn't have purchased it.   

Stephen Ryan

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4816 on: April 26, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »
Yeah it really depends just where the misalignment is occurring.  In the stars' names/credit is just unsightly...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4817 on: April 26, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

Yesir!   thumbup

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4818 on: April 27, 2013, 07:18:28 AM »
One sheet (in Portuguese and in pretty rough shape) for It Happened One Night sells for $3K:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4819 on: April 27, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
Thanks - I don't believe any of us would invest time in this biz if we weren't tolerant to imperfections, for me personally, misalignments are not my thing, and I may be wrong but I think a sizable number of us would be hesitant to invest in displaying a poster such as this:

Now THAT is some major misalignment. Looking at that would make me dizzy...lol

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4820 on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

No offense taken Steven.  To each his own.

This is simply not the case for me, Mel.  Many, if not most of my posters on display have signs of use.  In some cases, there is considerable wear.  A lot of defects are edge damage, and this is either covered or greatly minimized by frames.  A lot of the rest is covered by the 5 foot test.  The poster displays well at 5 feet, but the defects can clearly be seen when you get close.

I probably wouldn't display something in really poor shape unless it was iconic.  However, I would personally prefer to display such a poster with defects than have it over restored and be displaying something that has lost its sense of history.

Again, this is just me and I can't afford to collect at Mel's or Brian's levels.  If restoring posters gives you joy, then go for it, but my strategy works for me at my more humble level.  I take pleasure in the fact that my collection is preserving history, not altering or erasing it.
-Jay-

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #4821 on: April 27, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
One sheet (in Portuguese and in pretty rough shape) for It Happened One Night sells for $3K:

In rough shape it is, buth the language is spanish Mel...
Probably an argentinean one sheet.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4822 on: April 27, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
This will look amazing, once restored, too.

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #4823 on: April 27, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
This will look amazing, once restored, too.

thumbup

Here's hoping! ;)

Mirosae

« Reply #4824 on: April 27, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
In rough shape it is, buth the language is spanish Mel...
Probably an argentinean one sheet.

Mel, this is not Portuguese. Matias is right.

Aconteceu Naquela Noite will be the Portuguese title.  

Lo que sucedio aquella noche. This is Spanish, Latin America. No idea which country, but if Matias thinks it's Argentinian then i am sure it is

Sucedio una noche.  It is the Spanish, Castilian title....

So there you go....

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:18:48 PM by Mirosae »