Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2824534 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10875 on: April 25, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »
Good to know, Redman and SJ.   cool1 If y'all want to add any info. to the yahoo Japan thread I started, that may be helpful for folks.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10876 on: April 26, 2023, 09:03:25 AM »
People should probably just stop looking at yahoo jp  ;)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10877 on: April 26, 2023, 03:53:06 PM »
People should probably just stop looking at yahoo jp  ;)

NEVER  devil 2
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10878 on: April 27, 2023, 11:48:19 AM »
Some prints sold at Heritage last night, good result for this print for A Clockwork Orange

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&N=54+790+231+4294939542

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10879 on: April 27, 2023, 01:05:19 PM »
I think these prices are beyond ridiculous.  I don’t understand what people are thinking when they spend $3-4k on prints.  Prints!!!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10880 on: May 04, 2023, 04:10:25 PM »
was funny seeing this in normal auction last month
think it made £500 plus fees

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10881 on: July 06, 2023, 04:25:12 PM »
This Kill Bill B1 ended a few days ago at Yahoo Japan for about $600, which seems like a good deal.  It has some edge wear and maybe slight staining but looks good.  It's one of the best modern posters IMO, especially with the unique(?) style paper.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u1096971170
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 04:33:32 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10882 on: July 06, 2023, 05:09:39 PM »
That's a crazy good deal, imo,  Like super cheap.  If only i knew how to bid on Japanese stuff.  I'd be all over it.

It's funny, I'm vacationing throughout Europe for a month with my family and I just realized how impossible it is to bid on anything from there.  I mean, HA and Emovie are at 2am!!!  I like posters, but I like my sleep way more.  I had a lot of posters I wanted to bid on from Bruce on Tuesday and realized it is impossible.  It really sucks from here.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10883 on: July 06, 2023, 07:18:00 PM »
That's a crazy good deal, imo,  Like super cheap.  If only i knew how to bid on Japanese stuff.  I'd be all over it.

I thought you only buy modern stuff like that if it is mint?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10884 on: July 06, 2023, 08:11:57 PM »
Of course, I would never buy a poster in this condition, but regardless I still think it's cheap and I still would like to buy stuff from Japan.  But I'm way to lazy to go thru the hurdles.  I like it simple and easy.  Maybe one day.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10885 on: July 06, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »

It's funny, I'm vacationing throughout Europe for a month with my family and I just realized how impossible it is to bid on anything from there.  I mean, HA and Emovie are at 2am!!!  I like posters, but I like my sleep way more.  I had a lot of posters I wanted to bid on from Bruce on Tuesday and realized it is impossible.  It really sucks from here.

T

Yeah it's the least expensive I've seen and I'm not sure the condition is bad at all - I couldn't even see the "staining" on it, just a little edge wear.

Unless it's something that "a long time can go by without one of these coming up for sale" I'd also just enjoy the euro trip.  cool1

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10886 on: July 07, 2023, 04:50:00 AM »

T

Yep! I normally just put my high bid in and go to bed, but have stayed up late on occasion.

It's mainly a pain because of the bidding strategy when you have a modest budget and want to bid on multiple posters (i.e. If I win/lose poster A at price x, it means I have more/less money to bid on poster B at price z).

But yeah, I understand that the US market is the biggest and so it makes sense that they have priority.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10887 on: July 07, 2023, 07:11:30 AM »
Yes, certainly, you have to plan ahead.  I hate hate hate not being able to use a sniping program.  That’s all I do on EBay.  Sometimes I watch people bid and overbid each others days before the end of an auction knowing very well that I’ll be the one getting it in the end.  So all they do is raise the price me.  But it doesn’t work at Emovie if you want to go to bed by midnight.  I’m not one to wake up in the middle of the night for a poster, so I didn’t bid on anything these last few days.  Oh well, there are always posters and more posters.  I’m sure there will be another back to the future hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10888 on: July 07, 2023, 12:44:43 PM »
Yep! I normally just put my high bid in and go to bed, but have stayed up late on occasion.

This is me. I've won several things with Bruce this year, but haven't looked at closing at any of the auctions, just put in my bid and I'm done.
Like T says - there are always more posters, and unless it's a Black Cat half sheet, there will be another one eventually.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10889 on: July 07, 2023, 01:44:38 PM »
Regardless of how many are sold, Back to the Future is ever increasing  faint2.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10890 on: July 07, 2023, 07:26:23 PM »
This is so ridiculous to me.  $900 for a poster that pops up EVERY SINGLE week.  Between the advance (4x), the studio (2x) and the NSS (3x), I own 9 of those.  Many other collectors do.  It is so common.  It makes no sense.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10891 on: July 07, 2023, 08:06:03 PM »
Great film, great poster (the tagline and title logo are brilliant and I think it’s Struzan’s best art).

I imagine most collectors that want to build an 80s collection would have it high up the list and there seem to be more and more 80s collectors

So I understand the high prices, but also agree about it seemingly being quite common

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10892 on: July 08, 2023, 04:18:23 PM »
This book made to convince financial backers to invest in Alejandro Jodorowsky's movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune last sold at Christie's in November 2021 for $2,900,000.  The same copy was just auctioned off at Heritage for only $90,625 (BP included).
https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/science-fiction-and-fantasy/-frank-herbert-alejandro-jodorowsky-dune-suresnes-aviaplans-ateliers-industriels-de-reprographie-no-date/a/6275-42064.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10893 on: July 08, 2023, 09:37:23 PM »
This book made to convince financial backers to invest in Alejandro Jodorowsky's movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune last sold at Christie's in November 2021 for $2,900,000.  The same copy was just auctioned off at Heritage for only $90,625 (BP included).
https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/science-fiction-and-fantasy/-frank-herbert-alejandro-jodorowsky-dune-suresnes-aviaplans-ateliers-industriels-de-reprographie-no-date/a/6275-42064.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

It's probably because of their truly obscene $29 minimum buyer's premium.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10894 on: July 10, 2023, 05:35:34 AM »

"Spice Club hopes to make money from an NFT collaboration with comic artist Frank Miller, and they're betting big on reselling the book that started it all. The group plans to sell its Dune bible during the fourth quarter of 2023 when Dune: Part Two is expected to hit theaters, but recouping their $3 million investment in the currently dismal cryptocurrency climate seems unlikely."

See https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a38815538/dune-crypto-nft-sale-mistake-explained/
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10895 on: July 10, 2023, 06:57:45 AM »

This makes me laugh.  It means that someone somewhere just realized he/she is a MASSIVE MORON!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10896 on: July 11, 2023, 02:05:23 PM »
"Spice Club hopes to make money from an NFT collaboration with comic artist Frank Miller, and they're betting big on reselling the book that started it all. The group plans to sell its Dune bible during the fourth quarter of 2023 when Dune: Part Two is expected to hit theaters, but recouping their $3 million investment in the currently dismal cryptocurrency climate seems unlikely."

See https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a38815538/dune-crypto-nft-sale-mistake-explained/

Yeah the NFT market seems to be having some rough times.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10897 on: July 11, 2023, 02:16:09 PM »
This is so ridiculous to me.  $900 for a poster that pops up EVERY SINGLE week.  Between the advance (4x), the studio (2x) and the NSS (3x), I own 9 of those.  Many other collectors do.  It is so common.  It makes no sense.

T

Great film, great poster (the tagline and title logo are brilliant and I think it’s Struzan’s best art).

I imagine most collectors that want to build an 80s collection would have it high up the list and there seem to be more and more 80s collectors

So I understand the high prices, but also agree about it seemingly being quite common

Good points.  The artwork is classic, and it's been used on so many formats.  Searching online is overwhelming to see how many different formats are available.  I never realized how popular the movie and artwork are. 

After looking around online, I'm not as surprised at the eMovie prices after seeing how many of the various less popular formats and lower condition examples sell, and the prices they sell for elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 02:23:13 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10898 on: July 11, 2023, 06:45:49 PM »
The artwork is classic, and it's been used on so many formats.  Searching online is overwhelming to see how many different formats are available.  I never realized how popular the movie and artwork are. 

Your comment prompted me to check my website and see how many posters I had with the Struzan design (I'm on vacation, nothing better to do hahaha).  I'm missing a bunch, but that's a start.

In order... US Advance, US NSS, US Studio, US Subway, US Video, US Video Cloth, US AMC Re-Release, US Soundrack, US DVD, Australian, French 1 panel, French Pantalon, French Billboard, German 3 Sheet, Indian, Italian, 3x Japanese B1s, 2x Japanese B2s, Thai, Turkish, UK Advance quad, UK quad, UK review quad, UK Re-Release OS, UK Re-Release Quad, Yugoslavian.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10899 on: July 11, 2023, 10:27:29 PM »
Holy mackerel  :o that's a good start.   I really like the Japanese styles with the oversized artwork and not much text, and the video style with the different tagline, and the Yugoslavian one.  They're all good, though.  Seems like title this would be a good challenge for a completist.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 10:38:57 PM by Neo »