Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832916 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10850 on: March 24, 2023, 12:45:17 PM »
It's shocking how the supply (especially on ebay) has dried up. Remember in the MPF days when we could sit down with our coffee and randomly decide to snag one of the 7 rolled Gremlins posters sitting there for $20 give or take? Its nuts...cannot imagine starting this hobby now, beyond expensive and super hard to source anything unless you have endless cash supply.

Agreed! 100%… I’m more in shock now why VHS’s and are selling so high now too.
  jawdrop

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10851 on: March 24, 2023, 08:41:33 PM »
I used to buy 600/700 posters a year.  Now I'm down to 300 probably, mostly because of price.  New posters that used to cost $15-20 are now offered for twice the amount, if not more.  A new poster for $40-50, it really affects what I buy and how many I buy.  Ever since Covid.  Not really sure why.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10852 on: March 25, 2023, 10:52:31 AM »
I used to buy 600/700 posters a year.  Now I'm down to 300 probably, mostly because of price.  New posters that used to cost $15-20 are now offered for twice the amount, if not more.  A new poster for $40-50, it really affects what I buy and how many I buy.  Ever since Covid.  Not really sure why.

T

During Covid, ALL the hobbies really started to thrive as new folks jumped on board in varying interests/groups/niches...it was a way to pass the time, to learn how to do something new, to collect something, etc...

Sports cards prob had the biggest surge...stores went from throwing stuff out to not being able to have anything in stock. All collectible markets are pretty crazy right now, and in some cases, much like posters....are not letting up.

The poster market is beyond dry at this point.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10853 on: March 25, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »
During Covid, ALL the hobbies really started to thrive as new folks jumped on board in varying interests/groups/niches...it was a way to pass the time, to learn how to do something new, to collect something, etc...

Sports cards prob had the biggest surge...stores went from throwing stuff out to not being able to have anything in stock. All collectible markets are pretty crazy right now, and in some cases, much like posters....are not letting up.

The poster market is beyond dry at this point.

Yet the same Back to the Future, the same Revenge of the Jedi, the same Goonies, the same The Thing keep popping up on a weekly basis and selling for more, and more, and more, with no end in sight.  I mean, there must be 10,000 Back to the Future posters out there, I own a bunch myself, why do they keep selling for $600 or more?  It's totally absurd.  Even folded copies, or copies with tears, sell!!!  Like you said, I'm so glad I built my collection when I did, because nothing makes sense.

T
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:48:06 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10854 on: March 25, 2023, 03:51:38 PM »
And I’m waiting for a Back to The Future and The Thing poster. Heck I don’t care about the tears. But at these prices I get outbid constantly.

I remember along time ago with sports cards. You can go the store and get a pack of cards for 2 bucks. Now packs, a single pack. Can sell $20-$400 for 1 pack…

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10855 on: March 26, 2023, 01:54:55 AM »
[...] but prices have gone insane lately.  Tons of random 80s posters routinely sell for a $100+, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why. [...]

I would bring up inflation, but I haven't seen this up-pricing trend in 1960s material as much as 1980s.  So it's probably something to do with the decade.  Those who grew up in the 1980s would be, what, in their 30s and 40s now?  And presumably with more disposable income at this stage in their career.  Well, nostalgia sells, and now they have some money to spend. 

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10856 on: March 26, 2023, 06:29:40 AM »
I've observed a bump in prices for the stuff I collect too.

One factor I've noticed - with social media, the amount of re-sellers seems to have increased. Lots of new 'dealers' who buy posters from auction sites and relist for inflated prices. Presumably targeting folk who want a poster for the wall as oppose to collectors, but they seem to hoover up lots of posters for their stock (with social media, I suppose you have to keep posting in order to maintain engagement).

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10857 on: March 26, 2023, 10:47:01 AM »
I've observed a bump in prices for the stuff I collect too.

One factor I've noticed - with social media, the amount of re-sellers seems to have increased. Lots of new 'dealers' who buy posters from auction sites and relist for inflated prices. Presumably targeting folk who want a poster for the wall as oppose to collectors, but they seem to hoover up lots of posters for their stock (with social media, I suppose you have to keep posting in order to maintain engagement).

I noticed that too. I noticed that when I get outbid. Knowing the dealers username. Then they have it listed on their website couple months later for 30%-100%+ mark up…

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10858 on: March 26, 2023, 03:13:22 PM »
I noticed that too. I noticed that when I get outbid. Knowing the dealers username. Then they have it listed on their website couple months later for 30%-100%+ mark up…

Obviously this only works on those few sites that still don't hide bidder ID's.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10859 on: March 26, 2023, 05:08:39 PM »
I would bring up inflation, but I haven't seen this up-pricing trend in 1960s material as much as 1980s.  So it's probably something to do with the decade.  Those who grew up in the 1980s would be, what, in their 30s and 40s now?  And presumably with more disposable income at this stage in their career.  Well, nostalgia sells, and now they have some money to spend.

That's very true.  People die, what used to be cool and collectable yesterday is not anymore, taste evolve, the old stuff is of no interest to new generations who know absolutely nothing of it and why should they.  The 80s is now the cool decade, the decade where everything seemed cool and fun.  Long before the dark times we've all experienced.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #10860 on: March 27, 2023, 02:19:20 AM »
Same here, price have doubled if not tripled since I join the movie poster world, even posters from my cheap niche.
Sure, post-Covid but as Tob says, more and more players online, buying and reselling... they actually do thing with almost everything, from sneakers to toy cars.
I call them "MBA Daddy's boys", they buy mostly 80s posters (because Dad loves them) and also 90s and even more recent ones.  Then they put it in online shop, ebay, Etsy, Instagram, etc.
And yes, even shops do the same which I fail to understand as their retail prices are way above market prices, but nothing they can do, they have to outbid and play the game too. 
Not an easy for shops, it is difficult for them to keep their retail prices fair due to high bids.   At the end, things will get back to normal.

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10861 on: March 30, 2023, 08:51:44 AM »
The 80s is now the cool decade, the decade where everything seemed cool and fun.  Long before the dark times we've all experienced.

T

The 80s have been hot for a little while now but are white hot at this point...this is because the folks who grew up in that era (like me) now has dispensable income to buy their nostalgia fix, but since there are tons like them/us...the market is drying up.  Also, we need to remember, not everyone would say they are a 'poster collector'...some people just want to spend money on that BTFF poster for their den or that Goonies poster for their kids bedroom and that's about it...regardless...its all crazy now.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10862 on: April 08, 2023, 02:31:38 PM »
Don't see these Kill Bill 2 B1's often, especially a complete set.  They're not in perfect condition and a lot of folks probably don't check Yahoo Japan but the winning bid was about $600.

kb2

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c1086469944

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10863 on: April 08, 2023, 03:37:56 PM »
I won that auction, but the seller cancelled my bids and another bidder’s bids (the winning bid was higher than 66k). Perhaps did not want to deal with a proxy? It was annoying, as I’ve been hunting for 2 from the set for a pretty long time.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 03:41:02 PM by Tob »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10864 on: April 08, 2023, 05:21:02 PM »
I would have not bid on these auctions because condition is #1 in my book and these are sub-par (imho), but I don't understand why in 2023 they still haven't made an English version of Ebay Japan.  I don't have the time or patience to visit something I do not understand.  Thankfully, I have a few kind souls looking out for me, but c'mon!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10865 on: April 09, 2023, 11:25:15 AM »
I feel for you Tob, I hate it when sellers do that, and I don't understand why. I guess the hunt continues.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10866 on: April 09, 2023, 03:28:37 PM »
Wow, Tob.  I've never had that issue with proxy bidding there but I've seen on some sellers' listings they won't deal with people who have less than a certain number of feedback, etc.  Hopefully you can find the ones you're looking for again.

T, yeah it's difficult in some ways bidding there.  If you use Google Chrome it automatically translates everything.  I think they have some valid reasons for not making it more accessible to buyers outside of Japan.  With the (almost) global marketplace nowadays, it's still possible to buy stuff there and not too difficult IMO.  I started a thread a while ago about a few of my experiences with Yahoo Japan.  Maybe sometime I'll add a few issues I've had buying from there since then, but overall it's been OK.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9639.0.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10867 on: April 10, 2023, 01:54:18 AM »
I would have not bid on these auctions because condition is #1 in my book and these are sub-par (imho), but I don't understand why in 2023 they still haven't made an English version of Ebay Japan. 

That had an English version of ebay Japan, and it closed up shop after not being able to compete with Yahoo Japan.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10868 on: April 20, 2023, 02:44:32 PM »
Uh.. the Kill Bills are coming to my house ;D

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10869 on: April 20, 2023, 06:07:44 PM »
Uh.. the Kill Bills are coming to my house ;D

It softens my annoyance that they went to you, Dale. Congrats!

Dibs if you ever sell the 2 I need though please! ;)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10870 on: April 21, 2023, 02:30:03 PM »
Congratulations on the win, Dale.  cool1

I recently sent some consignments to eMovie and as usual I'm happy with the results and customer service and all. I'm even more happy that this one went to a good home (see winning bidder's name).

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10871 on: April 21, 2023, 04:10:57 PM »
Haha, the perfect winner for that poster. Lovely art too!

Online Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10872 on: April 24, 2023, 05:53:58 AM »
I won that auction, but the seller cancelled my bids and another bidder’s bids (the winning bid was higher than 66k). Perhaps did not want to deal with a proxy? It was annoying, as I’ve been hunting for 2 from the set for a pretty long time.

Sorry to hear that Tob, I was bidding on that one too but dropped out around 53k.   

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10873 on: April 24, 2023, 03:09:58 PM »
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c1086469944

i clicked to look at the Kill Bill's and got this

Please be informed that from Wednesday, April 6, 2022, Yahoo! JAPAN’s services are no longer available to our users in the EEA (European Economic Area) and the United Kingdom, as it has been determined by Yahoo! JAPAN that providing a continuous service environment in these regions would be difficult.

:D

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10874 on: April 24, 2023, 03:57:36 PM »
Unfortunatley you now have to use a VPN to access Yahoo JP from Europe.