Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2824240 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10825 on: January 01, 2023, 07:31:25 PM »
This video release poster for SLEEPAWAY CAMP (1984), jumped in the last minutes/seconds, from $41.00 to a winning bid of $153.50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLED-1984-SLEEPAWAY-CAMP-VIDEO-ADVERTISING-MOVIE-POSTER-SLASHER-GORE-HORROR-/383035161253?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

A guy on a Facebook group posted this a few days ago.  In June, 2020 he bought it for $252, and recently he's received offers for $1,700 and $2,200.

Apparently this genre is popular, and similar to many video store posters, this one is pretty darn rare.

on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 07:33:46 PM by Neo »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10826 on: January 02, 2023, 12:46:27 AM »
I wish I had paid more attention to video release posters.  I have just a few, but some of them are really great and are hitting a group of people that spent more time in video stores back in the day than in movie theaters.  It’s nice to see them getting some focus now :)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10827 on: January 03, 2023, 09:11:57 PM »
A guy on a Facebook group posted this a few days ago.  In June, 2020 he bought it for $252, and recently he's received offers for $1,700 and $2,200.

Apparently this genre is popular, and similar to many video store posters, this one is pretty darn rare.

on Flickr
I definitely think he's exaggerating. There's no way this poster is getting offers that high. Yes, slasher posters are desirable these days and this one is uncommon but it's definitely NOT at that price range. The highest eMovieposter has sold it at is $600. I've seen them listed on eBay not long ago for around that similar range as well ($300-$600) and even then I always thought that was too high. I wouldn't personally pay more than $250 for it, which is why I don't own it yet. If anyone is really offering over a thousand dollars for it they are not knowledgeable about the value and ripping themselves off LOL. I own the video poster for it and while it is rare I have never seen it sell for more than about $150. The rare slasher posters I have seen jumped from about the $150 range to about the $300+ range but definitely not in the thousands.

I wish I had paid more attention to video release posters.  I have just a few, but some of them are really great and are hitting a group of people that spent more time in video stores back in the day than in movie theaters.  It’s nice to see them getting some focus now :)
I'd say about half if not more of my collection is made up of video store posters. There's definitely a charm to them that takes you back to simpler days when you had to go to a store to get the movies you wanted. I have a lot of happy memories of my local video store and if I had been a poster collector back then I would've loved to have talked to the owner about buying some off of them. Some of them are definitely pretty rare and never pop up - but their rarity doesn't always translate to higher value! Many of my rarest were very cheap despite NEVER being available! Some don't even have images of them available online as if they never existed. Of course there are a few that are more sought after and are priced accordingly - but Sleepaway Camp is on the lower end of that scale.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10828 on: January 04, 2023, 12:30:44 AM »
I think we may need to add a new thread for the video posters :)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10829 on: January 05, 2023, 01:06:07 AM »
Gosh, I remember 30 years ago walking away from stacks and whole back rooms full of video posters and video store standees.  Who, knew?!  Okie

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10830 on: January 05, 2023, 09:01:41 AM »
The highest eMovieposter has sold it at is $600... I own the video poster for it and while it is rare I have never seen it sell for more than about $150.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314185110516?

And now you have seen it sell for more...
and last copy Emovie sold was nearly a year ago for over $700, good chance they would sell it for even more now.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10831 on: January 05, 2023, 07:46:16 PM »
I definitely think he's exaggerating. There's no way this poster is getting offers that high. Yes, slasher posters are desirable these days and this one is uncommon but it's definitely NOT at that price range. The highest eMovieposter has sold it at is $600. I've seen them listed on eBay not long ago for around that similar range as well ($300-$600) and even then I always thought that was too high. I wouldn't personally pay more than $250 for it, which is why I don't own it yet. If anyone is really offering over a thousand dollars for it they are not knowledgeable about the value and ripping themselves off LOL. I own the video poster for it and while it is rare I have never seen it sell for more than about $150. The rare slasher posters I have seen jumped from about the $150 range to about the $300+ range but definitely not in the thousands.
 I'd say about half if not more of my collection is made up of video store posters. There's definitely a charm to them that takes you back to simpler days when you had to go to a store to get the movies you wanted. I have a lot of happy memories of my local video store and if I had been a poster collector back then I would've loved to have talked to the owner about buying some off of them. Some of them are definitely pretty rare and never pop up - but their rarity doesn't always translate to higher value! Many of my rarest were very cheap despite NEVER being available! Some don't even have images of them available online as if they never existed. Of course there are a few that are more sought after and are priced accordingly - but Sleepaway Camp is on the lower end of that scale.

Pretty sure it's true - he posted screenshots of the offers.  I saw a similar thing at the old MoviePosterForum a while ago; a guy posted in the wanted section that he really wanted to find a lenticular video release for Brainscan (1994), and he'd pay $3,000 (if I recall correctly).  The only place I'd seen one was on a list by LAMP for a lot of films that had lenticular posters.  It's one of my favorite movies and since seeing the lenticular on LAMP, I had also been interested in finding one but didn't want to make a wanted thread  :P  A couple years later a random person saw the MPF thread and said he had one he'd like to sell.  I checked the thread every once in a while and the OP seemed to have disappeared so I made an offer to the seller (<$3k   ;) ).  He replied and I negotiated a little and it seemed like he was ready to sell and a deal was made.

Btw I was just searching for another Brainscan lenticular and found this 2011 sale with some added info. from the photographer:

on Flickr

on Flickr

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/brainscan-holographic-original-movie-20343942

I think we may need to add a new thread for the video posters :)

There is one, if you or a mod wants to move these posts there: https://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,515.0.html It's cool to see the video store stuff doing well.

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10832 on: January 11, 2023, 06:55:21 PM »
Neo: Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Slasher/horror posters and video posters (in general) are such an oddity. One minute they can be selling for $300+ and the next you'd be lucky if you can fetch $100 for it. I've seen it (even currently) with posters I own or am interested in. (Although I find it hilarious seeing one film's posters listed at $600-$1200 as "rare" when recent sales have sold it for less than $100 LOL. It's one I own so it doesn't affect me.) I remember paying no more than $50 for my (rolled!) Nightmare On Elm Street 1984 video poster for example. Maybe if I listed it now (I wouldn't though since I buy what I love and to keep) it would be a hot seller in an auction. Maybe not. I'm curious where this Sleepaway Camp one sheet will go from here. I'm satisfied with my rolled video poster but who knows...maybe someday I will regret not having spent $200 on the one sheet when I had the chance.

Okie: Standees are another interesting thing to check out! I own a few myself and love them! Often times they can be rarer than the poster and more expensive - while some are rare but still affordable! Wow I could only imagine what it would have been like to have been in your shoes back then - I would've taken it all!

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10833 on: January 20, 2023, 11:40:40 PM »
I definitely think he's exaggerating. There's no way this poster is getting offers that high. Yes, slasher posters are desirable these days and this one is uncommon but it's definitely NOT at that price range.

Now, I see where the offer came from, it was received through the Heritage Make-an-offer function.
https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/sleepaway-camp-and-other-lot-united-film-distribution-1983-folded-fine-very-fine-one-sheets-2-27-x-41-horror-total-2-items-/a/162025-53323.s?ic19=MotoOffers-ItemDescription-041718
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10834 on: January 22, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
I have that sleep away camp poster very similar to that one with the red line on top too that I bought from HA. I’d sell it for $2000 lol. But since HA never responds to my emails maybe I’ll send it to Bruce since he and his crew does respond back.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder

Online morphine

• Beginner
« Reply #10836 on: February 10, 2023, 11:03:38 PM »
Wow.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10837 on: February 11, 2023, 12:31:06 AM »
I didn't even know they had a sale, that's how little I follow this bs.  And I wouldn't call those numbers impressive, I would call them idiotic.  Yeah, that's a good word for it, idiotic.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10838 on: February 19, 2023, 01:37:40 PM »
How about 2300 bucks for that IBM poster recently? That just shocked even me.

I didn't even know they had a sale, that's how little I follow this bs.  And I wouldn't call those numbers impressive, I would call them idiotic.  Yeah, that's a good word for it, idiotic.

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10839 on: February 19, 2023, 03:06:15 PM »
How about 2300 bucks for that IBM poster recently? That just shocked even me.

Was that in the Sotheby's sale as well? Weird that they got exactly the same price I did!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10840 on: February 19, 2023, 06:33:05 PM »
Was that in the Sotheby's sale as well? Weird that they got exactly the same price I did!

If you subtract the fake sales at Sotheby's, you got more for every single poster than they did.
Everyone knows where to go if they don't want to be treated like a chump being sold a $1 solid gold watch.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10841 on: February 20, 2023, 09:42:41 PM »
Lol.  Exactly.

To be sure, it's a great poster and I'd never seen it before your action, Bruce, but holy fuck that is a lot for it!  But, I guess that's the point. No one has seen it before so rare=expensive.  It just shocked me how people really are willing to open the vault for worthy posters.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #10843 on: February 27, 2023, 12:43:54 AM »
"And apparently can't tell the difference between a Japanese poster and one from Hong Kong. I would tell them, but since Grey left, I don't think anyone is there that actually cares anymore"
I have no words!  This is terrible, how to loose credibility.   Yep, who is in charge??
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10844 on: February 28, 2023, 12:33:46 AM »
I can't believe that it took this long for Heritage to realize that their previous format was shit and to go back to the original.  It's a little bitter sweet because I was able to buy stuff for nothing before and it's now nearly impossible.  I'm also super happy that I started collecting when I did because I could not afford anything if I was getting into the hobby today.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10845 on: February 28, 2023, 04:06:12 AM »
I can't believe that it took this long for Heritage to realize that their previous format was shit and to go back to the original.  It's a little bitter sweet because I was able to buy stuff for nothing before and it's now nearly impossible.  I'm also super happy that I started collecting when I did because I could not afford anything if I was getting into the hobby today.

T
Sorry Thierry, what do you mean by change of format from the previous to the original?  I haven't used Heritage very much.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10846 on: February 28, 2023, 08:14:01 AM »

T

This. 100%.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10847 on: March 21, 2023, 11:24:01 AM »
Last Sunday: Scream 1996 - trimmed one sheet sold for $408? On HA.
Trimmed…

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10848 on: March 21, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »
I didn't check this past Sunday's results, but prices have gone insane lately.  Tons of random 80s posters routinely sell for a $100+, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why.  I have no answer, but what I know is that it's making it very difficult for collectors to collect.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10849 on: March 24, 2023, 11:09:27 AM »
I didn't check this past Sunday's results, but prices have gone insane lately.  Tons of random 80s posters routinely sell for a $100+, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why.  I have no answer, but what I know is that it's making it very difficult for collectors to collect.

T

It's shocking how the supply (especially on ebay) has dried up. Remember in the MPF days when we could sit down with our coffee and randomly decide to snag one of the 7 rolled Gremlins posters sitting there for $20 give or take? Its nuts...cannot imagine starting this hobby now, beyond expensive and super hard to source anything unless you have endless cash supply.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,