Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2834962 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10525 on: November 14, 2020, 03:51:57 AM »
Not sure how the auction house can 'play' their customers.  No one is forcing the customer to bid and all one has to do is have a look around eBay to assess how affordable these pieces are before committing such huge sums.

As for the April dated NTTD quad, there are enough of them floating around to be able to BIN for roughly £100.  So, they are not rare, nor special and certainly not artistic enough to warrant such attention.

Am sure it is just the super rich enjoying the Emperor's New Clothes cache of having bought from Sotheby's.  And good on Sotheby's for having got themselves into that position.  Guess now I know to tell my benefactors where to sell my collection, come the time....

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10526 on: November 14, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
it's obscene

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10527 on: November 14, 2020, 08:36:08 PM »
Not sure how the auction house can 'play' their customers.  No one is forcing the customer to bid and all one has to do is have a look around eBay to assess how affordable these pieces are before committing such huge sums.

It's one thing to overpay for an original poster that you can get the same original for cheaper on ebay but this is different.  If high-rollers are bidding at Sothebys, where 95% of the posters are originals selling for thousands of dollars, it would seem low-handed to sneak a commercial poster in there and let someone pay nearly $2K for it.

Isn't the whole point of people spending that much being that they have faith that the auction house is selling quality original items?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10528 on: November 14, 2020, 09:35:53 PM »
Wealthy Christmas shoppers?
Mark

You know, I don't really understand that.  The rich people I know (like 9 figures rich) are very careful with money and research everything.  They will not spend an extra penny if they don't have to.  I don't think these bidders are necessary rich, I think they're dumb and lazy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10529 on: November 15, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »

I know I wanted you guys to outbid the dealers but this is ridiculous! On the 15th November Bill Collins auction, the highest selling lot was a R78 Spanish The Adventures of Robin Hood - it sold for $2450 AUS + 30% buyers premium. That's $3185. It was in poor condition, stained, the colours along the bottom were running and it was mounted on board! The last two that sold on EMP were in very good condition and went for $25 each, earlier this year. The Bill Collins auction prices have been crazy - especially on the stills - 11 photographs from Rear Window, in not very good condition went for $7,500+ 30% bp - I don't even think the photos are rare. 6 stills from The Ghost and Mrs Muir, with creases to edges, went for $2,925 - one is a close-up of Whitford Kane. Big deal! Someone loves Bill Collins. Yum!
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10530 on: November 16, 2020, 12:36:21 AM »
I know I wanted you guys to outbid the dealers but this is ridiculous! On the 15th November Bill Collins auction, the highest selling lot was a R78 Spanish The Adventures of Robin Hood - it sold for $2450 AUS + 30% buyers premium.

Yes, but AUS$2450 is about USD$43, so no big deal.
That's why they could get over $500 for a Portal reproduction Maltese Falcon - that was labeled reproduction in the listing.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10531 on: November 16, 2020, 02:00:55 AM »
Yes, but AUS$2450 is about USD$43, so no big deal.
That's why they could get over $500 for a Portal reproduction Maltese Falcon - that was labeled reproduction in the listing.

Is that the exchange rate? I betta pitch a tent on Santa Monica Blvd...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10532 on: November 21, 2020, 08:37:00 PM »
A blood bath!!!  I had a few items on my list and they all sold for more than I could afford.  My most wanted was the Star Wars triple bill.  I was going to go pretty high on this one, probably to the top of its estimate.  Alas, it wasnt meant to be.  The sharks were hungry.  I ended up bidding on a few consolation prices that were not even on my list.  Nothing worth posting on this fine forum.

:(

T
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:39:07 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10533 on: November 21, 2020, 11:03:35 PM »
I'm pretty stoked because I got the one lot I most wanted: an Italian 4-Fogli for Horror of Dracula, IMHO a much better composition than the smaller 2-Fogli for the same title that sold for an incredible 84K at Heritage's SA this summer.  I can't wait to see this beauty in person.   

I will post a pic once I receive the poster.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10534 on: November 21, 2020, 11:30:07 PM »
I see one, but it is on Linen and Fine (???)  Did you sell out?  I had a very hard time at this auction because almost everything is linenbacked and I'm not interested.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10535 on: November 21, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »
As it might take a while until I receive the poster in the mail, here's a pic of that Italian Horror of Dracula I bought today at HA.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10536 on: November 21, 2020, 11:35:40 PM »
Yes Thierry, even though I would always prefer a folded copy, I have been relaxing my stance about linenbacked poster but only for large format (such as this one), as it makes them easier to frame.  As to condition, I can be flexible about it if the poster in question is rare, which is certainly the case for this Dracula. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10537 on: November 22, 2020, 12:09:10 AM »
You’re a better person than I am.  I went thru their listing a couple days ago and basically crossed out all the linenbacked stuff.  That left 5 items hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10538 on: November 22, 2020, 07:27:36 AM »
I usually do the same about excluding all the linenbacked stuff from my wish list, lol.  As I said, I'm only making exception to my "no linen" rule for large paper that happens to be rare (like your Laura 6-sheet for example).  This large format Italian Dracula fits that criteria, so I decided to acquire it.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10539 on: November 22, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »
Did Heritage add a new policy to their major auctions? I had several things on my watch list. I had bid on my most-sought after poster during the pre-auction, THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. The night before the auction,  I was top bidder with final amount (with fees) just over $2,000. The auction came up, I was ready, and...no one bid higher. Great! I was happy and so I didn't bid on anything else. Later that night, I checked what things went for and my HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL was no longer mine! What happened? Argh!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:02:01 PM by Monster_A_GoGo »
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10540 on: November 22, 2020, 12:31:27 PM »
I usually wait for everyone to be done bidding, I wait a few seconds, then I start bidding.  Bidders sometimes walk away thinking that they have an item and not realizing that the countdown is not over.  It’s a thing.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10541 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:00 PM »
Did Heritage add a new policy to their major auctions? I had several things on my watch list. I had bid on my most-sought after poster during the pre-auction, THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. The night before the auction,  I was top bidder with final amount (with fees) just over $2,000. The auction came up, I was ready, and...no one bid higher. Great! I was happy and so I didn't bid on anything else. Later that night, I checked what things went for and my HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL was no longer mine! What happened? Argh!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Looks like it might have gotten an $1800 bid during the live session, resulting in a final price of $2160.
Were you the $1800 bidder, or were you the $1700 bidder (making it $2040 with premium)?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10542 on: November 22, 2020, 12:49:34 PM »
How do you see the bidding history? I didn't get it so I must have been #2. But I swear I watched the live bidding and no one else bid...unless I wasn't the top bidder when that happened.  Do they have that stupid second chance bidding thing after the auction like they do for the weekly auctions? I so hate that...
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10543 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
Maybe it was a phone bidder who swooped in at the last minute?  I usually bid over the phone myself, I find that it's the best way to minimize any technical glitch.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10544 on: November 22, 2020, 05:19:31 PM »
this made me LOL

first i thought wow thats got to be a huge return for consignor as it is only worth $50 tops?
then i see that consignor has linen-backed it - who the feck linen-backs trade ads
still a huge return and a nice sting of sorts

what was estimate for dracula reissue? i saw final bid and thought wow

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10545 on: November 22, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
Maybe it was a phone bidder who swooped in at the last minute?  I usually bid over the phone myself, I find that it's the best way to minimize any technical glitch.

Perhaps... I really don't know what happened.  Drat!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10546 on: November 22, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
(like your Laura 6-sheet for example).

Hahaha touche!!!  Yeah, you're right.  I waited so long to find that 6sht folded, and eventually had to resign myself to buy linen.  So I get it.

Btw, that Horror of Dracula is awesome!!!  I went thru the sale very quickly early on this week and didn't even notice it.  Glad it's going to a nice coilection.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10547 on: November 22, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »

My gahdneh - the Jaws limited edition print at Heritage went cheaply - only $384!! I preferred the regular edition in blue tones, tho. At least it wasn't signed. It would have looked better without the white teeth next to the title, tho. It's unfortunately placed and resembles the outline of the shark's eye. So I passed. I'm picky these days. All planets have to be aligned for me to vomit up coins for something. Thanks gahd Mondo release several posters for many titles - some artists make me tingle and sahm make me tank. Which wahns? Not so fast, sillies! Getting excited for the big day? Go for it!!!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10548 on: November 22, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
Thanks Thierry, I've been looking for it for a while as I'm a big fan of early Hammer paper.  It's the largest poster size for that title, and I think it will go well with my French 47 x 63 that has a similar composition but totally different feel by Guy Gerard Noel.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10549 on: November 22, 2020, 11:00:14 PM »
Has HA ever had 3 separate posters sell for over $300,000 in the same auction?   :o
Chris