Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2831705 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10100 on: October 18, 2018, 11:46:48 AM »
Some good results in the Haggard sale:

i agree. some really fantastic deals for buyers there.
wouldn't be surprised to see several of these popping up at the bigger auctions houses.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10101 on: October 18, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
And interesting to see how a number of things got 0 bids, or just a couple people that bid on things that did sell.

I would of thought this TC would have gone higher than $2125.00:

https://www.txauction.com/lots/8043

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10102 on: October 18, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
This hobby is in a nose dive, when you focus on the top end sales every week you won't see it. Ten years ago EVERY movie sold posters, now the top 2 box office films will sell. 80's are on fire, the best of the best always sell, B grade title drastic reduction in sales, lower than a B grade; might as well throw it in the dumpster.

100% the digital age has to do with this. Folks can argue this all they want, but I have been connected to the new release market for about 20 years now, and I can tell you from there where this market is at and going. Not good, is an understatement.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10103 on: October 18, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
This hobby is in a nose dive, when you focus on the top end sales every week you won't see it. Ten years ago EVERY movie sold posters, now the top 2 box office films will sell. 80's are on fire, the best of the best always sell, B grade title drastic reduction in sales, lower than a B grade; might as well throw it in the dumpster.

100% the digital age has to do with this. Folks can argue this all they want, but I have been connected to the new release market for about 20 years now, and I can tell you from there where this market is at and going. Not good, is an understatement.

What do you call B grade and lower than B grade? 

I think it has to do with the fact that 80% of movies nowadays SUCK.  The 80s are on fire because there are so many great titles.  Even bad 80s titles look great in comparison to today's crap.  Since the 80s, creativity has gone down drastically, and most movies are instantly forgettable.  Plus the posters have gone down stylistically.

Can you give us some titles that would have sold 10 years ago and don't today?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #10104 on: October 18, 2018, 10:54:07 PM »
It's the mindset I think you are missing T. There is going to be a clear transition and it is already happening.

The majority of collectors collect to reconnect to a younger age. Most of us poster buyers buy this paper because when we went to the theater the first thing we saw was the poster advertising the coming soon or the now playing.  The younger generation has seen a flat screen tv playing a trailer or rotating a poster image and no poster at all. Movies are less of an event so there is less of a need to have a piece of the experience.

The main difference is in rom-com, comedy and drama. Everyone wants the tent poles, Potter, Bond, Marvel.

Examples from this year...

Hotel Transylvania 3 - 167mil, number 11 gross - for sure sell out 10 years ago, plenty left.
Oceans 8 - 140mill - #14 on the year - dumpster fodder
About anything after Ready Player One , #15 on the year, average interest at best. Star is Born has been decent but it is a very wide scope interest film.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10105 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »
Dale is 100% correct.

and having a supermarket selection available every week for $1 isn't helpful

I mentioned an additional factor in another thread - the costs of shipping.
every dollar shipping costs is a dollar less a poster sells for

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #10106 on: October 19, 2018, 12:02:15 AM »
and yes Rich I agree with the sentiment on shipping. Seems like USPS is conspiring to kill INTL purchases with the constant price increases. More than doubled in 10 years, and its not just here. I used to buy quads like crazy, now who wants to pay more in shipping than they do for the actual purchase item.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10107 on: October 19, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »
and yes Rich I agree with the sentiment on shipping. Seems like USPS is conspiring to kill INTL purchases with the constant price increases. More than doubled in 10 years, and its not just here. I used to buy quads like crazy, now who wants to pay more in shipping than they do for the actual purchase item.

not just international Dale

I did a show in Oklahoma a couple weeks ago and I'm shipping back lots of stuff. a 32 pound box I sent back today cost $60

a 1lb or 2 lb box is no big deal, but once you get over that, it increases approx $3 per pound
those orders of 30 $3 posters that ship at a flat rate of $14 to NYC costs $35+ to ship, so I'm actually giving away 7 $3 posters with such an order

it gets funnier when you consider Fed-X contract rates vs retail rates.
Sean needed some frames and we had some from a deal we bought that had framed posters, so I sent him 2 1sh frames by fed-x ground.

his rate on his contract acct was $67
my walk-in rate was $212

WTF is that garbage?

shipping & labor is why I'm cutting back my own auctions, aside from the time involved

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #10108 on: October 19, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »
I dont want to sound like all Dale downer here, so I will say the Glass poster Alex Ross did that just shipped is amazing  ;D  Guy is a rock star in comic covers, cant believe it has taken this long to get a movie poster out of the guy.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10109 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »
I dont want to sound like all Dale downer here, so I will say the Glass poster Alex Ross did that just shipped is amazing  ;D  Guy is a rock star in comic covers, cant believe it has taken this long to get a movie poster out of the guy.

he's a fantastic artist

-------

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #10110 on: October 19, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »
I suspect the only way to make money on the current crop of films is to hold onto the tent pole films posters for 20 years.  By then the nostalgia effect should be in place.

I remember back at the turn of the century you could dump anything on e**y and get at least a tenner for it.  I recently put some junk on for sale after not selling there for years and it's obvious that they are no longer interested in the casual seller. I wonder if that is helping to speed the demise along?
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10111 on: October 19, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
had to use google to find out why people were talking about tent poles :-[

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10112 on: October 19, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »
Did anyone get anything from the Gaston & Sheehan auction of the Haggard stuff?  I picked up the OS for The Mummy's Hand, which made me happy because I have been looking for a folded copy for a while.  I will post a pic once I receive it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10113 on: October 20, 2018, 12:15:01 AM »
Did anyone get anything from the Gaston & Sheehan auction of the Haggard stuff?  I picked up the OS for The Mummy's Hand, which made me happy because I have been looking for a folded copy for a while.  I will post a pic once I receive it.

Congrats, Ben.  thumbsup.gif The picture of it on the auction page shows it to be in fantastic shape. Great that they shot a pic of the back, too, to show the overall condition.

https://www.txauction.com/lots/8046
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:20:01 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10114 on: October 20, 2018, 12:18:54 AM »
A nice finish on this DRAC LC, too, finishing up at $17,716.00  clap clap

https://www.txauction.com/lots/8047

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10115 on: October 20, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »
It's the mindset I think you are missing T. There is going to be a clear transition and it is already happening.

The majority of collectors collect to reconnect to a younger age. Most of us poster buyers buy this paper because when we went to the theater the first thing we saw was the poster advertising the coming soon or the now playing.  The younger generation has seen a flat screen tv playing a trailer or rotating a poster image and no poster at all. Movies are less of an event so there is less of a need to have a piece of the experience.

The main difference is in rom-com, comedy and drama. Everyone wants the tent poles, Potter, Bond, Marvel.

Examples from this year...

Hotel Transylvania 3 - 167mil, number 11 gross - for sure sell out 10 years ago, plenty left.
Oceans 8 - 140mill - #14 on the year - dumpster fodder
About anything after Ready Player One , #15 on the year, average interest at best. Star is Born has been decent but it is a very wide scope interest film.

If mid grade posters have lost some of their shine, it is not because of a lost love for paper (or at least not directly), but because cinema does not interest people has much as it used to.  There are no movie stars anymore, no career directors to follow, no big names to watch.  Too much distraction from social media, not enough time.  Movies are about branding, and branding is a flash that is instantly dismissible.  Except for a few rare titles, movies all look the same.  Also playing a part is how quickly movies come out on ancillary markets.  No wait, no trepidation, instant gratification.

You're right, there will always be a few titles that beat the effects of time, but most movies are forgotten as soon as you step out the theater.  It didn't use to be like that.  Names on the marquee used to mean something.  Nowadays, people are more interested by Jennifer Lawrence's new fuck buddy than her work on the big screen.

So if movies don't mean anything anymore, neither do their posters.  It makes sense.

Is the hobby dead?  Not according to what some titles sell for, especially from the 80s, the last era before it started to go south.  Like I told you privately, Dale, I see lots of title sell for x2, x5 what I paid for them.  But they are the top of the crop.

I think it all comes down to the titles people remember and want to remember.  Not too many of those anymore.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10116 on: October 20, 2018, 12:39:17 AM »
I'm a big fan of rare/odd-ball items so I couldn't pass up this early Universal Exhibitor book page for Frankenstein -- starring Bela Lugosi -- ha ha ha!  It almost looks like it could have been the inspiration for Toho's Kaiju King Kong with him towering over the city like that!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10117 on: October 20, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »
And I guess this is an example of much restoration, that all looks really well done, according to the description:

"(1) MOVIE POSTER: Murders in the Rue Morgue lobby card - the torture scene. Bela Lugosi (Mirakle) tortures Arlene Francis, one of the prostitutes. 1932 Universal. Generally a lot of restoration has been done on this card: an old fold through the center repaired and patched, all borders and 1/4" into the image have been replaced, pinholes, some painted repairs. 11" x 14".

I know material from this flick is uber rare, too.

It closed at $4250.00

https://www.txauction.com/lots/8045

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10118 on: October 20, 2018, 12:47:24 AM »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10119 on: October 20, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »
A nice finish on this DRAC LC, too, finishing up at $17,716.00  clap clap

https://www.txauction.com/lots/8047

Grief, thank God I am not a collector of vintage horror...

Lovely card though.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10120 on: October 20, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »

Congrats Ben!
That copy is the same one eMovie sold for $15,601 back in 2004.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9603367.html

pretty much every quality piece they offered was a great bargain compared not only to historical highs, but even recent sale prices.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10121 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
And I guess this is an example of much restoration, that all looks really well done, according to the description:

"(1) MOVIE POSTER: Murders in the Rue Morgue

The restoration on this card is so bad, it's hard to look at it.
Compare to this copy from Heritage - https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/murders-in-the-rue-morgue-universal-1932-lobby-card-11-x-14-/a/7014-89251.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-ItemImageDesc-052317&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10122 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
The restoration on this card is so bad, it's hard to look at it.
Compare to this copy from Heritage - https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/murders-in-the-rue-morgue-universal-1932-lobby-card-11-x-14-/a/7014-89251.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-ItemImageDesc-052317&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Thanks, Sean. I hadnt looked at HA to see if they had sold one. When comparing to their copy... I see what you mean, and how much more obvious the Gaston Auction copy is with all the restoration.

For any pieces that were restored at the Gaston Auction, was the restoration done by Jaime? Or by someone else?

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10123 on: October 20, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Thanks Crow!  How do you know that my recent pick-up at Gaston & Sheehan is the same copy that sold in 2004 at eMovie?  If that's so, I'm even more thrilled about getting it for almost half the price!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10124 on: October 20, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »
Three reasons;
1) I sold it to Haggard
2) Saw it several times afterwards, and
3) I inspected every piece the FBI confiscated from this case.
www.Kaijuposters.com