Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832324 times)

wonka

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
I would be shocked if he got that price for the ET moon, Mel, but what if Henry Thomas sees it, has to have it...and makes the sale. 

See, the variables are endless when determining 'value'.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
Who would have thunk this very cool but obscure Muhammed Ali poster would go for $580 at Emovie this week?  About 10 bidders were fighting for it.  

kauaitx

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2010, 12:28:46 AM »

The allegations regarding shilling by Heritage Auction using the ID of "Gresham" is unfair and wrongly directed.

I'd thought about this for a bit when it was first brought to the forefront.  First, the accuser who took this to the media was trying to deflect attention away from what he had been doing himself.  But, putting that aside, I considered what the implications were in an auction house bidding on items that it wanted.

I don't believe for a moment that HA shills, shilled or ever shilled. 

But, I can believe that HA would want some items for itself.  I don't begin to presume to know why HA chose to use a moniker to bid, but I have my guess.  I acknowledge that it doesn't look great to a third party to see that HA used a fake name to bid.  But if they wanted to keep it private, why shouldn't they?  The use of a fake moniker does not necessarily indicate that nefarious deeds are going on.  The leap to this presumption, while not without reason, is also not without its own fallacy and weakness as well.

I don't like to have people know what I bid on, and I know for a fact that people have looked at my bid history on eBay.  When I was told by a few people that they watched what I buy, I stopped leaving feedback for sellers because when sellers replied in turn, this was a way in which my winnings were tracked.  I really do not like this.   It's my business and if I want to share it, I will -- which I sometimes do, but at least it's by my choice.

During the two live auctions for Battlestar Galactica props in January and May of last year, the owner of the company contracted by NBCUniversal/SyFy to manage all the auctions, including the auctions on eBay, wanted many of the items for himself.  He didn't do the actual bidding himself at the live auctions and had someone else do it for him.  Now, this stand-in is the human equivalent of the "N.P. Gresham" that Heritage uses.  Was the human stand-in a way for the owner of the contracted company to shill to fetch higher prices?  Not at all.  He was as much a fan of BSG as the rest of us.  How else is he supposed to compete for the items himself if he can't bid on them?   Is he forbidden to bid because he is the owner of the company conducting the auctions for NBCUniversal?  Why should he be deprived of going after the things he wants for himself?  In fact, it's only fair to the rest of us that he is forced to bid like everyone else instead of just getting to snatch up and abscond with the items before they see the light of day at auction.

Sure, his bid is raising the price, but then so is mine and everyone else's who's going after the same thing.  It's why it's an auction.  It's fair practice.

As far as I am concerned, this is what Heritage is doing and they have every right to do so.  While they don't make it front page news, they don't make it a secret either.  The have printed in their catalogs the fact that they will sometimes bid on items themselves.  It's no attempt at shilling and no attempt to deceive.  It is, in fact, only fair that they are forced to bid like the rest of us.

Jeannie

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
So this unused Elvis 3 sheet sold for $140 on Emovie tonight.

I consoled myself by buying a cheesy 24x36 print on Ebay for $.99:

Heritage sold this Goldfinger partial 3 sheet for $89. The upper panel is missing but I think it was a great deal because it looks like a complete poster:

And last but not least Heritage sold the extremely evil Rolling Stones poster for $1,075 - the coolest music poster I've ever seen:

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2010, 01:23:02 AM »
Yeah, that stones posters is pretty awesome.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »
You guys aren't the only ones who think it is awesome. In my 1996 One Hundred Years of the Cinema auction for Christie's, a linenbacked example sold to a crazy French bidder for    $12,650.00! The following year lots of people tried to sell theirs for $5,000 to $10,000, but I don't know that any ever sold at that level.

I know for 100% certain that the buyer paid for the poster, because I was the one who paid my incredibly happy consignor!

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »
Hi Bruce-
I actually just bought the catalog for that 1996 Christies auction on eBay a few days ago... Wow, there were some incredible posters sold back then.  I can't believe the Casablanca 3-sheet only went for $38K.  It would probably be triple, if not quadruple that today. 

Did the Frankenstein teaser sell?  Do you know what it went for?  The result for that one wasn't on Christie's site as far as I could tell...

Bruce

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
The teaser did not sell. The reserve was $300,000, and there was a real bidder willing to pay $260,000 plus premium, and I begged the consignor to lower the reserve. But my consignor wouldn't budge, and he got the poster back.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
Mel.. the incomplete 3sheet looks complete because in actuality, many 3 sheets were designed so that they could be shown without the top panel as substitutes for 40x60s. I have seen many examples of this and some pressbooks show such uses.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
Mel.. the incomplete 3sheet looks complete because in actuality, many 3 sheets were designed so that they could be shown without the top panel as substitutes for 40x60s. I have seen many examples of this and some pressbooks show such uses.

Like I said, that was a great deal. With this one, you can tell it was part a larger poster because there is some extra printing above the "Everything He Touches" tagline.  But you could frame that out and then you've got an extremely cool and unusual Goldfinger poster.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
Avatar lenticular goes for $675 at Emovie!  Showing some love to "Smurfs in Space"!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
I know everyone has their own tastes but man I could find an awesome and in my opinion much better looking film noir poster for that kind of coinage.

And in the long run, I could almost guarantee said awesome film noir poster will keep its value far longer should I ever need to part with it.

To each their own, but I will never understand spending that kind of money on something so mass produced. 
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
Chris,

While I want to agree with you, you need to think about who is going to be collecting and buying this stuff in the next 20 years...You'd be lucky to find a mid range collector 20 years from now who has even heard of your noir, while I suspect many will have fond memories of their Avatar experience.

With a few rare exceptions, more and more people will have no idea about all those great "old" movies out there :(
Ves

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »
Annnnddddd, most of the new lenticular runs are fairly low and a good majority get busted up. I would imagine as tight as Fox is anymore this one would is well under 500.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
Chris,

While I want to agree with you, you need to think about who is going to be collecting and buying this stuff in the next 20 years...You'd be lucky to find a mid range collector 20 years from now who has even heard of your noir, while I suspect many will have fond memories of their Avatar experience.

With a few rare exceptions, more and more people will have no idea about all those great "old" movies out there :(

I understand the argument Ves.

Like I said it all comes down to personal preference.  Still, I would think that $675 price tag really is more a product of the current 'Avatar craze'.  In a year will it still fetch anywhere near that amount?

Maybe you will be right and in 20 years no one will remember the great noirs (or other great, older films) and all the prices will drop considerably thereby allowing me to get some really nice titles much cheaper!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
always said it, but as I am a rambler, Ill say it again,

Buy what you like, and can afford, then you can't lose (and I say this to every person who comes into the shop to invest in coins).

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
Avatar lenticular goes for $675 at Emovie!  Showing some love to "Smurfs in Space"!

Still don't beat the $1000+ Spidey 3 lenticular!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
I understand the argument Ves.

Like I said it all comes down to personal preference.  Still, I would think that $675 price tag really is more a product of the current 'Avatar craze'.  In a year will it still fetch anywhere near that amount?

Maybe you will be right and in 20 years no one will remember the great noirs (or other great, older films) and all the prices will drop considerably thereby allowing me to get some really nice titles much cheaper!

I'll say this, though, how many times I see those posters that I never saw before, and with a gasp wish i could afford them!  They may be forgotten by those who never see them, but when you see them, they can't be forgotten.  I think we're all right after a fashion. Ves is spot on that newer collectors will go with the nostalgia feeling when buying, for the most part.  But, folks with some bling to throw around will start craving better material - art for the sake of art.  To get that, we have to start going back in time.  And Dale's right, some of the new material will hold its value simply because supply is low enough that demand is not satisfied.  Let's not forget thought that the Spidey 3 lenticular went from $1000 to lucky-to-get $300.  The now-number-two Titanic's posters are for the most part worthless. 

In the end, I stand by what I've always said:  posters are not an investment.  They are pretty things to buy and look at.  Buy what you like and it will always keep you happy.  Woe to the guy who bought that Avatar lencular as an"investment."  He'd have been better off investing with Bernie Madoff.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
In the end, I stand by what I've always said:  posters are not an investment.  They are pretty things to buy and look at.  Buy what you like and it will always keep you happy.  Woe to the guy who bought that Avatar lencular as an"investment."  He'd have been better off investing with Bernie Madoff.

Word.
It pains me when I hear a newbie ask seasoned collectors which poster they should buy based on investment potential.  IMO, that shouldn't be the primary reason for collecting...

Bruce

« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
I have sold more movie posters than anyone, and I can tell you that, with very few exceptions, the people who bought "for investment" did quite poorly, and that some of the collectors who bought entirely for love made a huge return on their "investment"!

It sounds paradoxical, but actually there is some real logic to it. When you love something that is NOT "hot" or "in fashion" it sometimes costs far less. And years later when others "discover" those items, they can really jump in price.

Of course, there are also people who collect on some relatively obscure stars who NEVER go up in value.

The biggest concern is to not "chase" items, paying way too much for ones that are not particularly rare or in lesser condition. If you must "overpay" for any items, try to make sure they are true rarities, and in the best condition you can find.

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
 Let's not forget thought that the Spidey 3 lenticular went from $1000 to lucky-to-get $300.  The now-number-two Titanic's posters are for the most part worthless. 

Exactly.  Again, it seems to me the $675 just reflects someone wanting to be 'the first kid on the block with latest new toy'. 
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
Hope this post is in the right place!! Did anyone buy from the last Cameo auction, as I have had a right carry on with them. I paid for my posters on the Wednesday after the auction, on the Sunday I had a phone call to say my card had not been accepted? it seems someone had put the numbers in wrong so all was fine. by the next week still no posters. So I rang them again on the Monday and there was no record of them being sent, so I was told to ring back on the tuseday, I was then told they had been miss placed but they had found them and they would be posted on the next day. Friday still no posters, so I rang them again, Oh yes we'll send them out tomorrow. So 17 days later and still no posters!!! most shoddy. Not impressed at the moment.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »
I had problems too. They didn't place a proxy bid I left for an early lot I would otherwise have won. They mis-described two of my winning lots as rolled posters when they were folded. They were meant to carefully pack my 8 winning lots for collection by a third party but did not do so and forgot to incude 3 of the lots. My advice is to collect or have your posters picked up - I don't think they would know how to send them safely.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:11 AM »
That sounds about right, the first time I won anything off them it was a linen backed Quad, and they stapled the receipt to the poster? luckily it was in the linen boarder. Fingers crossed these recent one's turn up O.K. It just seems they have a very lax attitude to their.......... "job".
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »
This Ratatouille poster (26"x38") created for the crew sold for $900 on Ebay yesterday: