Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2795380 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
So how about a thread to discuss unusual, unexpected, and/or outrageous auction results AFTER they are over?

IMHO no one should discuss a PENDING auction - the spoils should go to those who take the time to find the good auction deals!

So let's start with one that just ended a few minutes ago on movieposterbid.com

Ferris Bueller International one sheet for $1,112 - WTF!

Huh? Someone want to explain that?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
This ET went for $311 on movieposterbid.com. I guess the torn corner really knocked down the price:

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
Very much so. That torn corner kept me from bidding on it.

Chad

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »
Very much so. That torn corner kept me from bidding on it.

Chad

I snagged this torn Pulp Fiction for $91 tonight on movieposterbid - I don't mind discrete repairable tears but I really do mind missing paper:

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:52:17 AM »
So how about a thread to discuss unusual, unexpected, and/or outrageous auction results AFTER they are over?

IMHO no one should discuss a PENDING auction - the spoils should go to those who take the time to find the good auction deals!

So let's start with one that just ended a few minutes ago on movieposterbid.com

Ferris Bueller International one sheet for $1,112 - WTF!

Huh? Someone want to explain that?

Ever see one of these for sale before?  Anywhere?  I havent.  And, I know people pay very well for the french poster with the same art.  So, a poster with desirable art that folks think they might not see again comes up.  Higher than I would expect, but not way off the charts, IMO.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Ever see one of these for sale before?  Anywhere?  I havent.  And, I know people pay very well for the french poster with the same art.  So, a poster with desirable art that folks think they might not see again comes up.  Higher than I would expect, but not way off the charts, IMO.

Well, Cinemasterpieces sells the Thierry hates "French Grande" with the same image for $395 - and you can probably find it for less elsewhere - and all other things being equal I'd prefer the larger size in that poster.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:27:04 AM »
Yeah, I agree on the larger size, but all things arent quite equal in this case.  First off, the int' one sheet is a country of origin piece, which is in most cases going to command a premium.  This is even more pronounced when that particular piece has hands down the best art in the campaign (even if that art is repeated elsewhere).  Also, that larger size is far more difficult and expensive to frame.  Finally, there are those that do not want to display a folded poster.  To have the french one backed to appear flat would cost a pretty penny........

just some thoughts.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
 Also, that larger size is far more difficult and expensive to frame.  Finally, there are those that do not want to display a folded poster.  To have the french one backed to appear flat would cost a pretty penny........

I don't mind the folds in this particular Frenchie because they don't look too bad on the the most important image (the cast in the Ferrari).

As far as framing, I broke down and ordered a 120cmx160cm (about 47"x63") flip frame for $165 from Spotlight Displays.  Now I'll be able to display all my Frenchies without resorting to the plebian "tape it to the wall" method I've been employing. (Also ordered a 28"x42" flip frame for some of the odd size posters I've managed to accrue, including some printer's proofs.)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »
I don't mind the folds in this particular Frenchie because they don't look too bad on the the most important image (the cast in the Ferrari).

As far as framing, I broke down and ordered a 120cmx160cm (about 47"x63") flip frame for $165 from Spotlight Displays.  Now I'll be able to display all my Frenchies without resorting to the plebian "tape it to the wall" method I've been employing. (Also ordered a 28"x42" flip frame for some of the odd size posters I've managed to accrue, including some printer's proofs.)

Let me know how that French snap frame works out. I was just wondering if the piece of plexi was so big that it might bow out away from the poster since the sheets are thin.

Chad

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
Mel

I was equally shocked at the Ferris poster as I had no idea it was actually "that" rare
what makes it more surprising to me is that there were multiple bidders at hundreds of dollars.

Of course at the same time I'm thrilled to death.. because.......

it shows that MoviePosterBid has passed "critical mass". the point at which auctions run smoothly and beneficial to the site by getting bids like any other site (like Bruce or Heritage). In other words, "MoviePosterBid has just made the bigtime!"

the ET poster did surprise me at it's super-bargain price. But as Kovacs said, the missing corner was a definite factor. However to anyone who looked - you can see that the image area is complete and that not even a tiny bit of the art is miccing which makes linenbacking it a perfect solution to restoring the piece's beauty. It can also be framed with a mat cropping out the border, and seeing as the image field is gorgeous, no one would be the wiser.

the PF advance will also restore nicely. and can someone tell me why this reply box jiggles and doesn't show the bottom  when I type??? I'd say this also needs some restoration (ps.. add posting options like HTML. I have trouble with my FA posts links)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
oh. something I wanted to point out also.. It sold for $1112, but like all of my auctions it started at just 99 cents and sold with no reserve.. If it had sold for $10 (something that is always a possibility) I would have been happy (as opposed to totally thrilled like I am)..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »
the PF advance will also restore nicely....

Glad you've hit the "big time" Rich!

As far as "restoring" that torn PF advance I snagged, my $6.99 acid free tape from Michael's will do the trick!

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »
"MoviePosterBid has just made the bigtime!"

Congratulations, Rich! You certainly have put in the time and effort, ten fold.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
This Pulp Fiction went for $61 on Ebay - y'all missed out, assuming it's legit.  I would have bid but I already have one.

Update: I think these PF prices are definitely trending downwards - Heritage has an NM as a Buy It Now for $75.

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 06:42:34 PM »
Mel

On this poster, and many others like it, there are many people who would rather buy it from someone they 100% trust (like me or Dale Dilts, or several others) for twice as much than buy it for a lower price from someone they will have their doubts about.

When you get stuck with a repro, you have to contact the person, and they may deny it, and even if they agree to take it back, you still need to pack it and send it (not so easy for casual collectors) and they may not want to pay shipping (one way or both ways), so you may still lose some even if they do take it back.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »
Someone needs to do an authentication of the regular Pulp Fiction poster, not just the Lucky Strike version.

I bought mine directly from Rich, so I know it's the real deal.

That's not to say those aren't legit - armandx has 8000+ positive feedback and Heritage I would certainly presume is selling the real deal.

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
I'm not talking about reality here, but perception. Most people know of eBay as the "home of the fake movie posters" and so any one on there is always suspect in most people's mind. After all, you can buy all the minty white inserts and hairy belt Star Wars there every day, and no amount of complaining matters one bit to them.

Many dealers have sent all sorts of posters to me and I have sold them for more than they were offering them for in their eBay listings. Sometimes perception is very important.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
I'm not talking about reality here, but perception. Most people know of eBay as the "home of the fake movie posters" and so any one on there is always suspect in most people's mind. After all, you can buy all the minty white inserts and hairy belt Star Wars there every day, and no amount of complaining matters one bit to them.

Many dealers have sent all sorts of posters to me and I have sold them for more than they were offering them for in their eBay listings. Sometimes perception is very important.

Bruce

Well, Bruce, you and I are not going to agree on this.  I've bought 350 posters from 100+ Ebay sellers this year and the vast majority of them showed up as described and were positively originals.  (I've bought 200 from you, Heritage, and Movieposterbid, so I'm definitely agnostic on this subject.)

In fact, the only reprint I received came from a well-known dealer - who posts regularly on these boards - who apologized and gave me a full refund.  (And at this point I've very educated on distinguishing reprints from originals - see the Authentication section.)

You say "sold them for more than they were offering them for in their eBay listings."  But that's the good for the dealers, bad for the buyers like me.

Main problem with Ebay is the terrible packaging by amateurs.  Most of the time they don't understand that USPS will trash their packages and that writing "fragile" on them is a joke.

guest8

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
Sometimes Mel just doenst seem to get it ;)

It comes down to trust .. as a collector Id be willing to spend twice as much on a poster if I was buying from Bruce than if I was buying from an unknown ebay seller ..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
Sometimes Mel just doenst seem to get it ;)

It comes down to trust .. as a collector Id be willing to spend twice as much on a poster if I was buying from Bruce than if I was buying from an unknown ebay seller ..

this is correct and goes for anyone else I know stands by their product

-------

Bruce

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Mel

I think the problem is you are a very atypical buyer! You do your homework and you know how to tell fakes from reals, and you would likely buy from the minty white sellers if you were sure that particular poster was real.

But most collectors don't have the time or dedication to research everything out, so they go on reputation, and that is where "perception" comes in. If one seller sells fakes side by side with reals, and another sellers has a zillion lawsuits going against them, and a third seller has a great reputation as a "fake-free zone", then many buyers will, as fallenangel says (and thanks!) pay more to that seller than to the first two.

As to your comments on terrible eBay packing, I am a major collector of travel posters, and in the past 60 days I bought over 250 of them from eBay sellers that arrived in the most motley collection of tubes possible. That is going to be my topic for next week!

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
Well, I wouldn't say I have a "problem" and I do "get it."

Any reasonable intelligent collector can distinguish a reprint/fake.  You can follow the authentication tests to weed out the tough ones, like the PF Lucky Strike advance.

Furthermore, the vast majority of modern posters today are double-sided and there are very few double-sided reprints floating around, so the reprint issue is largely mooted for most modern posters.

Anyway, there are a lot of anti-Ebay and anti-Heritage people on this board and I'm going to change that, but I don't think that's particularly rational.  Ebay has a proper place in the universe.

Bruce

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
"Anyway, there are a lot of anti-Ebay and anti-Heritage people on this board and I'm going to change that"

Freudian slip, there?

;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »
"Anyway, there are a lot of anti-Ebay and anti-Heritage people on this board and I'm going to change that"

Freudian slip, there?

;D

Alas, I missed the "not" in my brilliant exposition on the relative merits of the various and sundry auction sites.

But anyway, we're all a bunch of stubborn mules on this board - we argue a lot and never change anybody else's opinion but it keeps us entertained....

guest8

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »
Well, I wouldn't say I have a "problem" and I do "get it."

Any reasonable intelligent collector can distinguish a reprint/fake.  You can follow the authentication tests to weed out the tough ones, like the PF Lucky Strike advance.

Furthermore, the vast majority of modern posters today are double-sided and there are very few double-sided reprints floating around, so the reprint issue is largely mooted for most modern posters.

I consider myself reasonably intelligent, but I do not have the time that you obviously have an abundance of .. If I find a poster on ebay with one a two decent pictures... It would be a guess if its a potential fake or not (unless its something obvious like 24x36 DS original) .. I dont want to have to go find pictures of real ones and compare them .. or go to an authentication page and look for the tell-tale signs then email a seller that could potentially lie asking for more info and/or more pictures .. That is a lot of effort spent when I can pay someone like Rich or Bruce to do the work for me .. :D Im sure they are happy to take my money and offer their guarantee that what they offer is real and if not they will make it right no questions asked.

As for no DS fakes .. it depends on where you looking .. I think Moviegoods would be a strong argument against that statement.. But again I dont have the time that you do to do all of the research .. So again Ill pay people that do this for a living to ensure Im getting what I want. and not have to scour google pages or be zooming in on hundreds of pics in photo shop .. just to find otu the ebay seller used a stock photo then I have to argue with them about it not being real when they say it is 100% real .. then I have to deal with paypal and getting that done in time and waiting the week then 10 days to hopefully get my money back and then only after I pay to ship the item back to the seller ..

Sounds like a lot of trouble to me .. And Im glad to help people like Bruce and Rich become millionaires ! ;)