Author Topic: My Totally Non-Competitive Animation Posters (Now w/ Pictures)  (Read 3196 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Alright. My therapist says my first step towards reintegrating myself into society is to reach out to others and find common interests. My sponsors (Paul, Jeff, and Chris) have agreed to sign off on my progress if I post my animation collection.

Please keep in mind that, like most collections, this is a work in progress. My entire collection began with wanting an original Toy Story poster and has since launched from there. The additions since then are intentionally largely modern, because I plan on collecting in "branches". The branch that has been completed is American animation post Roger Rabbit. I am working very passionately to expand my branch of Japanese Animation, which is very difficult, before "Working Through the Timeline".

American Animation from 1988 and onward is fairly easy and fairly inexpensive to come by, but any earlier than that the pickings get far more slim. Installments prior to Roger Rabbit will be much more expensive and more significant to the history of animation, which is why I've saved this part of the project for last.

I expect in the next few weeks (or more realistically, months) to finish my contemporary international animation branch. I expect that when I've completed this venture my collection will be a much more effective catalog of the medium.

I'd also like to say I only collect posters for movies I love. I like a lot of movies, especially animated ones, but to include every animated movie I've ever seen would be a waste of my time and money. I've said before that I collect very selectively, looking for quality over quantity, and if I didn't love the movie then it's not part of my collection. So although I have the intention to compile a "history of animation" through my collection, I only intend to include films I hold in very high regard OR hold a special significance in the history of the field.

I have my collection set up on Facebook, but you DO NOT need a Facebook account to access the album.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.186447158043068.41220.100000333544580&l=e65d56712c

What's Missing:
1. The Lion King (Hurry up, Ted!)
2. Satoshi Kon Movies
3. Miyazaki Movies
4. L'Illusionniste
5. Everything before 1988

Some highlights:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:45:11 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: My Totally Non-Competitive (Contemporary) Animation Posters
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
No explanation needed Anthony, you have some jollyfine posters there. I must get myself one of those Tintin posters, it's an excellent image. Liking the Philosophers stone also, I've never seen that before. You really should post direct to the board, there''s some very nice pieces...

Nice bit of swift editing... ;) 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:38:26 AM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: My Totally Non-Competitive (Contemporary) Animation Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »
Ya, dont be shy. Post em if you got em.  :)

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Re: My Totally Non-Competitive Animation Posters (Now w/ Pictures)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
Love the Iron Giant, and always loved that Tarzan poster...great posters!
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing Anthony and a nice assortment for sure!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
And I spy a daybill,
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 01:43:07 AM »
And I spy a daybill,

I love daybills (as we've been over before). I have Roger Rabbit on my wall right now. Unfortunately, for most modern animated films, the daybills are just cropped artwork of the 1-sheets. In which case, I prefer to collect the full-size piece to better flatter the artwork. But when I start getting into older stuff the daybills get more and more appealing.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:40 AM »
What about the daybill for the first Cars film.  I actually really like it!

Ves

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
What about the daybill for the first Cars film.  I actually really like it!

I forgot about that one - I like that artwork too. It focuses more on the romantic aspect of the movie than simply "LOOK AT ALL THE DIFFERENT CARS IN THIS MOVIE" that the US 1-Sheet does. I might pick it up somewhere along the line, but Cars and A Bug's Life are my two least favorite Pixar films by a large margin. I respect Cars technologically though, and for the enormous success the franchise has seen in the toy market. I like to pretend this movie alone financed Pixar's Vancouver wing.

But thank you for bringing that to my attention. Sometimes I forget they still put out daybills only stumble across ones that recent by accident.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
Excellent animated collection, Anthony.  Personally, I buy and post pictures of what I think is cool, regardless of the price or what others may think of them.  It's cool that those posters are ones of movies that you liked a lot, and it's a great collection.  Looking forward to seeing your future animated posters.  Some of my favorite movies I've seen because of the posters, and I haven't seen a lot of animated films so the posters in your collection will help me decide which ones to watch.

That daybill is cool.  If the film had as much character as this poster, it would have been better IMO.  Saw the film recently and I must agree with others that it could have been better, although it was not terrible.