Author Topic: Frame Questions  (Read 27649 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Frame Questions
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
Alright guys, I am still on the hunt to make my own frames. (Because I am in Canada, and don't want to get screwed by UPS brokerage charges)

1)My main question, Is Vivak, safe to use? UV rated, etc etc? and the thickness.

2)So far I am thinking either, Vivak .050? to thin? Or to go with the OP3 acrylite, good stuff.
But is  Vivak good? because cost is good for it. Half the price of Acrylite.

And for backing I am going with Artcare conservation backing. No doubt.
3)Also, for the backing, Can I use 2 boards in the frame? because I can't find larger sheets?

And for the frames, I contacted Bags unlimited for frame chops for larger sizes, but they never get back to me?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Frame Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:39:49 AM »
You might try Grafik Dimensions for reasonably priced frame rails:
http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/WebObjects/PictureFrames.woa/wa/Home

VIVAK is a PETG product.  This is what Spotlight Displays uses in their front loader frames http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/aboutf.html.  I researched this a few months ago and concluded that PETG provided a degree of UV protection, but the material would eventually start to break down and turn brown if exposed to direct sunlight.

I have bought several of the Spotlight units, but I don't display any posters in direct sunlight.
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
Yes, I have seen that site before. But they cost quite a bit.
Bags unlimited had the frame cuts extremely cheap.

Maybe I'll stick it out with spotlight displays, since I don't have to purchase from 3 different sources instead.

Questions for those owners that bought from spotlight. Do you feel comfortable storing higher end posters in the frames? If so, then I am sold. And will purchase from him

Thanks guys.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
I'm a touch skeptical about vivak.  They very specifically state that their product is UV-stabilized so that it won't break down as quickly in outdoor use.  However, they never claim that is will protect whatever you have stored behind it, nor do they state how much UV light is filtered (i.e. 78%, 95%, etc...), if any.  Vivak has many uses, and they specifically developed vivak UV for outdoor use, but I'm not sure we can infer protection of our posters from the limited info available...

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/product_info.cfm?nav_id=3,1,4,29
http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/pds/PDS102_VI_UV.pdf

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
By the way, I just used OP3 to frame my huge Fistful of Dollars 4-foglio (55x78).  I couldn't get it in non-glare at that size, but I think you can in smaller sizes.  It is great stuff and I think it filters 95+% of UV light.  Sue at HPF uses a different plexi that is only 78% filtering, but it comes in non-glare and is quite a bit cheaper.  I regularly use that stuff, although I forget the name...

As for backing, I had to use two pieces of 40x60 artcare for my 4-foglio.  Sue can get artcare in 48x96 due to her massive volumes, but apparently no one else on the planet can as I've looked to no avail.  When I was framing my French 1-panel for L'Avventura, Sue recommended I use two pieces of 40x60 (cut down to equal size), and then another piece of regular foam core behind that.  For my 4-foglio, I had to use two pieces of 48x96 foam core on the back layer -- so (2) pieces of 40x60 artcare (with a horizontal seam) right behind the poster, and then two pieces of 48x96 regular foam core (with a vertical seam) behind that.  I hope that makes sense....

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
I'm a touch skeptical about vivak.  They very specifically state that their product is UV-stabilized so that it won't break down as quickly in outdoor use.  However, they never claim that is will protect whatever you have stored behind it, nor do they state how much UV light is filtered (i.e. 78%, 95%, etc...), if any.  Vivak has many uses, and they specifically developed vivak UV for outdoor use, but I'm not sure we can infer protection of our posters from the limited info available...

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/product_info.cfm?nav_id=3,1,4,29
http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/pds/PDS102_VI_UV.pdf

I tend to agree, which is why I would not put a Spotlight frame in direct sunlight.  Actually, I don't put any poster in a location that gets more than early morning sun.  The reading I have done on the subject seems to indicate that even moderate heat does as much, if not more damage than UV.

Mike, the Spotlight displays are convenient, but you have to use more care with them.  First, you need to carefully align the poster with the Vivek.  The aluminum channel does not have a lot of wiggle room, and the frame rails snap in rather sharply.  It is easy to get the edges slightly misaligned and then put a crease in the glazing and poster if you just let it snap in place.
-Jay-

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Relatedly, has anybody put any research behind Sue's frames from Hollywoodposterframes?

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
Relatedly, has anybody put any research behind Sue's frames from Hollywoodposterframes?

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

Sure, lots of folks here buy from Sue--myself included.  What do you want to know?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
Sure, lots of folks here buy from Sue--myself included.  What do you want to know?

Well, I only frame pieces I truly and honestly adore, the rest I keep in protective sleeves. But if I truly and honestly adore a poster, it also means I want to protect it as much as possible. The frame will never be in direct sunlight, but my living space is lit with fluorescent overheads. I worry about bleaching the poster and if I'm to frame a poster I really love, I have to make sure it's safe.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
Well, I only frame pieces I truly and honestly adore, the rest I keep in protective sleeves. But if I truly and honestly adore a poster, it also means I want to protect it as much as possible. The frame will never be in direct sunlight, but my living space is lit with fluorescent overheads. I worry about bleaching the poster and if I'm to frame a poster I really love, I have to make sure it's safe.

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=frames#del

It is a quality product.  Her archival and delux frames feature UV plexi and acid free backing.

You need to do some studying up though.  There is no silver bullet here and UV filtering is not 100% protection.  Posters will still fade if exposed to enough UV.

Here is a reasonable starting article:  http://www.ephotozine.com/article/using-uv-protection-to-look-after-your-framed-photos-8724
-Jay-

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=frames#del

It is a quality product.  Her archival and delux frames feature UV plexi and acid free backing.

You need to do some studying up though.  There is no silver bullet here and UV filtering is not 100% protection.  Posters will still fade if exposed to enough UV.

Here is a reasonable starting article:  http://www.ephotozine.com/article/using-uv-protection-to-look-after-your-framed-photos-8724

I've actually read this before. Before I was intelligent (which arguably I am still not) I dropped $100 on a 100% UV protected GLASS frame. Then I read about the tests with the Asian artwork and the normal glass/UV glass/tinfoil and felt swindled. But even if I'm only protecting it from 40% of potential damage, I'd like to manage that potential 40% as capably as possible.

I vaguely remember Sue's plexi being 70something% protected against UVs. But does the plexi itself scratch easily? Does it age well?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
I vaguely remember Sue's plexi being 70something% protected against UVs. But does the plexi itself scratch easily? Does it age well?

Well, these are Sue's delux frames, purchased in 1999.  Picture was taken about a year ago, just before we moved.  I don't notice any significant yellowing or darkening.

I don't place the frames in places where they get easily smudged, so I generally only clean once a year or so.  Haven't scratched them at all in the 12 years I have had them.  YMMV.

-Jay-

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
Well, these are Sue's delux frames, purchased in 1999.  Picture was taken about a year ago, just before we moved.  I don't notice any significant yellowing or darkening.

I don't place the frames in places where they get easily smudged, so I generally only clean once a year or so.  Haven't scratched them at all in the 12 years I have had them.  YMMV.

Thank you very much. Those are some beautiful posters, too!

EDIT: I especially like the complimentary tissue box in case you are so overcome by the artwork you need to blot away your tears.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:44:37 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
Thank you very much. Those are some beautiful posters, too!

EDIT: I especially like the complimentary tissue box in case you are so overcome by the artwork you need to blot away your tears.

;D ;D
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
Yep.  Forgot to mention the complimentary spiderweb, to help balance the decor.  eyeroll
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:39 AM »
Thanks for all the opinions guys.

See I kind of got worried about the properties of Vivak as well. I also read that the UV light transmission was 86%.
It kind of reminds me of Lexan. I'm not sure if they are on the same level or not. But awhile ago someone said not to use Lexan.
 I would like to get OP3 rated acrylite.

Have to think about it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:44:18 AM by bigmike »

DreamWarrior

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
Hey jayn_j, I just got one of Sue's archival frames for my Hellraiser and I can't seem to get it perfectly flat in the frame. There is some slight rippling no matter what I do. It still looks great but if viewed from the side in the right lighting you can see the ripples. Is this normal and unavoidable?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:28:47 PM by DreamWarrior »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
Hey jayn_j, I just got one of Sue's archival frames for my Hellraiser and I can't seem to get it perfectly flat in the frame. There is some slight rippling no matter what I do. It still looks great but if viewed from the side in the right lighting you can see the ripples. Is this normal and unavoidable?

Both my linenbacked posters that are framed have the same problem - it is worse on the one sheet.   I can't seem to fix it but I think it might have to do with the backing board being less restrictive towards the middle of the poster. 

If anyone has a solution (lacking in sarcasm) please offer it!
Chris

Harry Angel

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
I've been looking at frames recently (a LOT) to try and find the best solution for my precious old "Star Wars" poster and had pretty much settled on the HPF option. A slight problem is that I'm in London, and shipping these frames 5000 miles ain't gonna be cheap!

I assume the answer to this is going to be "no" but if I don't ask...... so, is there an equivalent UK frame?

If not then I'm quite prepared to order from HPF because this isn't the sort of thing to cut corners on.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »
It probably is due to the lack of support in the middle of the poster. There's got to be a way to put some sort of horizontal braces accross the back.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
It probably is due to the lack of support in the middle of the poster. There's got to be a way to put some sort of horizontal braces accross the back.

To be honest, my folded posters show wrinkles on the folds no matter which frame i use.  The ones I showed above are linenbacked and don't show any wrinkles.

You might try adding more spring clips.  They are available from Michaels or Hobby Lobby in bulk packs.  More clips would provide more even pressure on the edges and may help.
-Jay-

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
Hmmm, no rippling in my framed pieces (except for the HUGE grandes)...both daybills and one sheets sit nicely.
Nothing special about my frames...i do have mattes on every one though...
Ves

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
You might try adding more spring clips.  They are available from Michaels or Hobby Lobby in bulk packs.  More clips would provide more even pressure on the edges and may help.

I've actually heard the opposite as well... only use one or two clips at the top and let the poster 'hang' between the plexi and the backing.  I tried that on a few of mine and it did seem to help.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:43:08 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »
Well, these are Sue's delux frames, purchased in 1999.  Picture was taken about a year ago, just before we moved.  I don't notice any significant yellowing or darkening.

I don't place the frames in places where they get easily smudged, so I generally only clean once a year or so.  Haven't scratched them at all in the 12 years I have had them.  YMMV.

Jay,

Those are 2 GREAT looking posters... Very Fine. The color in RESCUE SQUAD is vivid and striking!

Thank for sharing them.

Jeff

-Jeff

DreamWarrior

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
I've actually heard the opposite as well... only use one or two clips at the top and let the poster 'hang' between the plexi and the backing.  I tried that on a few of mine and it did seem to help.
After a lot of playing around the best fix I found was to only use two clips at the top and instead of using the wire, use two nails or screws and hang it by the metal frame. The clamps and wire are the major culprits in the case of the rippled poster. Ahh, now I can sleep tonight. bed1
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:20:32 PM by DreamWarrior »