Author Topic: hello ppl new one here  (Read 5376 times)

tence33

hello ppl new one here
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
i am new to the movie poster thing,  i recently bought a storage shed that was originally rented by one of the local theaters here, and i cant even begin to list every poster thats was in it or film rolls.  i do know the ones that i have inventoried are newer  i do have several of the 3 may spiderman teasers and lord of the rings.  i have also done reasearch on several to find out what they are worth. any advice will be apprieciated

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: hello ppl new one here
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I suggest researching ebay and emovieposter.com for accurate price ranges reagarding the posters you have obtained. 

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

tence33

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
yeah ive already done the pricing and have spoken to the fine folks at movieposter.com, now i just got to sell em in not in the buisiness for posters but its is interesting and gives me somthing to do

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
Hey there, and welcome to the forum! It seems like a lot of people are thrust into the hobby when they stumble upon a massive cache of old posters... I'm surprised by how common this is, because working at a theatre, I can say it's not long before posters are destroyed or taken home by the staff. If we had a storage unit for all of our old posters, it would only be the worst-of-the worst that survived weeks if not months of scavenging.

You'll meet a lot of people here who want to A) Buy your posters and B) can help you determine the value of your posters. I think the first bit of advice you'll receive that's pretty unanimous is not to sell your lot to a retail site like MoviePoster.com. You can make far more money selling them individually on eBay or to your fellow collectors. Plus, you never know if you have a gem in there. Dark Knight posters, for example, are usually $50+ a piece. So you might have a tube sitting in your pile worth $150!

The smartest thing to do is to take the time to document your entire trove. That way you can weed out the worthless stuff (which there will likely be a lot of) and capitalize on the valuable paper!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
i am new to the movie poster thing,  i recently bought a storage shed that was originally rented by one of the local theaters here, and i cant even begin to list every poster thats was in it or film rolls.  i do know the ones that i have inventoried are newer  i do have several of the 3 may spiderman teasers and lord of the rings.  i have also done reasearch on several to find out what they are worth. any advice will be apprieciated

Welcome, Tence.. i think you will find the forum interesting, fun and informative. as has been mentioned, looka round and check pricing, although like many things, the numbers can fluctuate. Newer posters for the most part, will have a much lesser value and if you find you have a stockpile of things, then a site like bruce's may be the way to go, since he would sell them as a lot. This way, you arent getting a few dollars here and there (or nothing), for some posters that can be so prolific as to be best used for wrapping paper.

Sounds like your stash may go back to the 80s? or even before, possibly? Time will tell, as you sort thru things.

Fingers crossed that you dont find rolls of duplicates, as well.   ;)

Jeff

-Jeff

tence33

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »
well so far i have inventoried 498 titles and have priced them so far the most valuable ones that i have so far are the lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring with the lucas film watermark is the most valuable, and a couple other lord of the rings that are up in the hundred as well.  along with several of the spiderman recalled 3 may poster but i havnt been able to get an accurate value on them yet.  so far the ones i have gone through are the original posters.  in the original tubes that they were sent to the theatures in, plus ive been to a couple other authentication sites to see what to look for on some of the more aluable ones.  but so far everything looks in good shape and condition.  the most interesting things that i have found so far though are the original star wars movies on the reels,  wish i had a projector lol.  any way thanks for the advice im sure as i get through the rest of them i wil bee seeking more of it

always
travis

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, tence33.
Look forward to see the posters that you have and hear more about it.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
That's a pretty fantastic haul you got there. You got a lot that will command a nice price, especially those vinyl Harry Potter banners (if I understand your shorthand correctly).

tence33

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
yes the V stands for vinyl banners and the P for posters.  that is just about an 8th of what i have yet to go through it is definately a long process  i figured id take pictures of them as people request them much easier.   but for the most part they are all in excelent conditiond

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »
Welcome to the board, me thinks you will be inundated with emails soon.

If you just want rid of them, It maybe easier dropping them off at Emovieposter, and letting Bruce sell them for you...

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »
Hello as well!

That's quite a hoard you've stumbled upon...
Chris

tence33

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
yeah its is allthough i still have alot to go through and inventory thats about an 8th of what i have lol