Author Topic: Film on Paper - my collection  (Read 32585 times)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Re: Film on Paper - my collection
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »
Hey Ed,

I know I commented once already but i just have to complement you again on your site. I went through your site twice already and you did a fantastic job. Great collection and a helluva job on the design.

Cj

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
Thanks Cj. It really means a lot to me that you guys like it. It makes all those hours of work worth it!
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
Hi Ed,

From a design POV, you have a beautiful layout, interesting to peruse and the closeup detail shots are a terrific added detail and element. It is easy to navigate and easy on the eyes, as well!   thumbup

Great job!

Jeff

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
Ed,

One suggestion...  I don t know if you re selling, but if you re not, I strongly suggest that you say so in large bold letters.  I get between 5 and 10 emails every month asking me if I m willing to sell this or that poster, even though I have clearly slated that I am not a seller.  So if you re not, spare yourself the time and effort and let people know... somehow.

T

Sorry, I m typing this on a French keyboard and I can t find the apostrophe button  :)

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications regarding Wordpress.  I'll probably just start with excel to start logging details.  I would love to be able to pull director/actor/year/studio data from IMDB eventually instead of looking that all up by hand though...

By the way, you should add a signature line like T (above) with a link to your new baby!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
Erik: Thanks for the comments :)

T: I've put one bold warning on the contacts page and I've had nothing so far, but I'll let you know and might have to increase the type size!

Harry: I found excel was the best way to be honest and I couldn't work out a way to automatically 'scrape' the details from IMDB so manual was the only option! Sig changed too :)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »
Hey Eddie, I already told you what I thought of the site, but I just wanted to say that one of my favorite features is the listing of artists and designers.  If I can find out, or already know, any that you are missing, I will certainly pass them on.  A beautiful collection with a website design that does it justice is a rare thing, but you have done it.  Congrats again!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
Seems to have been a labour of love Ed and so congrats on seeing it to fruition!

However, for some reason I am getting a lot of errors as I browse through - such images not loading or displaying - anyone else experiencing this?
Chris

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 05:54:50 AM »
Schan: Thanks again. As I said earlier, it means a lot that my fellow collectors like the site. The designers/artists is definitely something I want to try and complete as much as possible. One artist I struggle to id is the one behind the US one sheet for Army of Darkness. I'll probably kick myself when I find out, but I searched for a long time with no luck.

CSM: Thanks!

For the broken images, it would really help me if you could be more specific. Can I ask if it was in the US one sheet section about 12 hours ago? I was performing housekeeping on about seven one sheets (After Hours, Adventures in Babysitting and others) and they will have been down for a matter of minutes.

If you're seeing the error on every other page in every section of the archive I don't know what could be the cause. Is it only image errors you're seeing?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Ed,

One suggestion...  I don t know if you re selling, but if you re not, I strongly suggest that you say so in large bold letters.  I get between 5 and 10 emails every month asking me if I m willing to sell this or that poster, even though I have clearly slated that I am not a seller.  So if you re not, spare yourself the time and effort and let people know... somehow.

T

Sorry, I m typing this on a French keyboard and I can t find the apostrophe button  :)

I was one of those people! Although, I did clearly state that I saw your note and chose to ignore it.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »

T

Looks like T's hit the Wine Already... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »

Looks like T's hit the Wine Already... ;)

While watching A TALE OF TWO CITIES... 

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
Ed, wow.

Great to see all of this come about, I remember talking to you about it a couple years ago on the MPF.

Love the aesthetic, especially. Very efficient and proficient. It all flows well, reads well, just a fantastic job.

And the posters...great taste, great lineups. Finally get to see who beat me out over the past few years on a few pieces, but I am really glad it ended up here in your horde and on this great site.

Just wanted to shovel more praise onto your heap. Congrats and keep up the great work here!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
Thanks a lot Ben :)

I do remember discussing it with you a couple of years ago and it was around that time that I knew I had to make it happen. I don't want to think about how long I've spent on it, but I do know that I'm pleased with the result and, as I've said, really thrilled that you guys seem to appreciate it.

I'm lining up a very special interview that I think you guys will definitely dig. Watch this space :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
Hi Ed - just as a follow up - when I first click on "Poster Archive" I get the following error notification: Line 2308, Char: 5, Error: 'b' is undefined, Code: 0

Then, for example, if I click on the BTTF one sheet pictured I get the exact same error and no picture is displayed at all (I am assuming there is supposed to be a bigger version of the thumbnail pic after you click on it and get the the "poster detail" page?)

Hope I can help but then again it could be on my end as I have not yet upgraded past IE 7...
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »
Hi Ed - just as a follow up - when I first click on "Poster Archive" I get the following error notification: Line 2308, Char: 5, Error: 'b' is undefined, Code: 0

Then, for example, if I click on the BTTF one sheet pictured I get the exact same error and no picture is displayed at all (I am assuming there is supposed to be a bigger version of the thumbnail pic after you click on it and get the the "poster detail" page?)

Hope I can help but then again it could be on my end as I have not yet upgraded past IE 7...

IE7 jeezum crow, come out of the ice age and upgrade that bad boy. Still have Netscape installed too  ;D

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
Hi Chris,

I'm 100% certain that the issue is to do with your browser. IE7 is 5 years old and that's a long time in browser terms - I'd really suggest an upgrade asap, if only for your own security when browsing.

I know you like vintage things, but it's definitely time to modernise your browsing ;)

Ed

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
Hi Chris,

I know you like vintage things, but it's definitely time to modernise your browsing ;)

Ed

Haha! I will take that under serious advisement  :D
Chris

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »
Wow!

http://www.ifc.com/news/2011/05/prepare-to-lose-hours-on-a-new.php

Cool! It was very smart to use Twitter, Ed...an extremely effective way of getting the word out on your beautiful site. I saw you got a tweet from Warren Ellis too!  8) x 1,000

Just in case you haven't had enough compliments, I just want to say that I think the photography on your site is really outstanding. I've been trying to photograph some of my posters and it's really tough (especially if they're black and glossy!). Spending the cash on a lighting set up and using your G9 was a wise move, the photos are fantastic quality.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:13:55 PM by Tob »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Ed thats awesome!!!  :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »
You and your posters are famous!
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26:03 AM »
I finally had the spare time to give the site justice, and man am I glad I waited.
Bloody fantastic, congratulations on a wonderful site (with some awesome posters).
An absolutely delight to spend time browsing through!
Ves

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
Awww, shucks, thanks guys. I'm really flattered how much folks are responding positively to the site - it's made all of those hours seem worth it.

Tob: One day I might post a picture of what I had to wear when taking photos of dark posters so that my reflection didn't show up in them (we're talking black gloves, black shirt and a pair of my wife's black tights on my head!)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
Awww, shucks, thanks guys. I'm really flattered how much folks are responding positively to the site - it's made all of those hours seem worth it.

Tob: One day I might post a picture of what I had to wear when taking photos of dark posters so that my reflection didn't show up in them (we're talking black gloves, black shirt and a pair of my wife's black tights on my head!)

Ha! Did she ever walk in on you in that get up?
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.