Author Topic: Rigid sleeves  (Read 11747 times)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
Rigid sleeves
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Rigid sleeves
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
http://www.fanalia.com/27-x-40-Plastic-Poster-Sleeve.html

These any good ?

I have 5 that I bought off of ebay a long time ago, and I find them very difficult to use because it's easy to squish the poster as you're trying to insert it.  Static cling tends to cause the plastic sheets to stick together, and the force it takes to push the poster down into the sleeve tends to cause rippling and wrinkles.  I would not suggest them.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
I have 5 that I bought off of ebay a long time ago, and I find them very difficult to use because it's easy to squish the poster as you're trying to insert it.  Static cling tends to cause the plastic sheets to stick together, and the force it takes to push the poster down into the sleeve tends to cause rippling and wrinkles.  I would not suggest them.

I would agree with Holiday, without even having tried them. They're not really designed for collectors like us. If you want something protective, your best bet is having Mylar sleeves made for you and putting in some acid-free backing. Those top-loaders are more designed for casual collectors who don't care if their reprint is damaged.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »

Makes sense.. especially with no wiggle room and the static cling, which could wreak havoc on a poster. The same can be said for mylar sleeves that are made to almost the exact dimensions of a one sheet. With no extra room, a poster could get bunched up or crinkled when sliding it inside. And with mylar's more rigid properties, the paper would give way and suffer possible damage if not exceedingly careful. Even an additonal 1/2-3/4 inch on either side would provide the room needed, yet not so much that a poster could move or slide, once in the sleeve.

-Jeff

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »
Well , bought 10 of em and will see.....I mostly linen back the posters so itll prolly be easier.

Lebowski

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »
On a similar note, I was going to be taking some posters (mostly one sheets) to a convention in a couple of weeks and was thinking of using toploaders similar to these: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-2694-toploaders.aspx

My thought was that these would make it easier to slide a poster out part of the way for the signature rather than trying to unfurl a rolled poster while the person signs. Any ideas or suggestions?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
On a similar note, I was going to be taking some posters (mostly one sheets) to a convention in a couple of weeks and was thinking of using toploaders similar to these: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-2694-toploaders.aspx

My thought was that these would make it easier to slide a poster out part of the way for the signature rather than trying to unfurl a rolled poster while the person signs. Any ideas or suggestions?

What are you having signed, any by who?

And while a personally acquired autograph can be very very special, keep in mind it pretty much devalues the poster completely should you ever wish to sell it.

Lebowski

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »

And while a personally acquired autograph can be very very special, keep in mind it pretty much devalues the poster completely should you ever wish to sell it.

Wizards and LotR posters to be signed by Bakshi, a Back to the Future to be signed by Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson, an Ed Wood by Martin Landau, an Escape from New York video poster for Borgnine, and a Kill Bill 2 for Michael Madsen. I've always been an autograph hound, something I pursued in my baseball card and comic book hobbies.

Is the main deterrent for people the lack of authentication? Or just that there is writing on the poster at all? I know that in the comic world, signatures don't usually carry a premium unless they are CGC Signature Series authenticated (at which point, the sig can carry a hefty premium at times). There are still those collectors who abhor getting sigs on comics, authenticated or not.

Also, I enjoy meeting the celebrities, talking to them, having a memento of the time shared...doesn't really bother me if it hurts re-sale value.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »
Anthony, Signed posters are not valueless, and here we go again, price is subjective. I would pay a bit more for a signed poster as long as two things were done. Firstly and of the utmost importance is proof/provenance of the signature. Secondly where it was on the posters it's self. Tastefully done.

Luckily the posters I collect are mostly folded, so it's easy the take them to a convention. The odd time I took a rolled one , I had them  in a poster tube which went over the shoulder, a bit like Robin Hoods Quiver for his Arrows...

It's more than a Hobby...

Lebowski

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
I would pay a bit more for a signed poster as long as two things were done. Firstly and of the utmost importance is proof/provenance of the signature. Secondly where it was on the posters it's self. Tastefully done.

Well, I plan on bringing a camera (and my fiancee) with me so that she can take pictures while we're getting the autographs. And I'm not a big fan of signatures that go straight across the art. I like 'em nicely placed as well. :)

Luckily the posters I collect are mostly folded, so it's easy the take them to a convention. The odd time I took a rolled one , I had them  in a poster tube which went over the shoulder, a bit like Robin Hoods Quiver for his Arrows...

Did you find a tactic that works best when obtaining a signature on a rolled poster?

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
an Ed Wood by Martin Landau

Jealous :(
Ves

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
No, no Tactic, and the person signing always seems to want a good look at the poster, so they tend to hold the bottom of it for a look first, they then hold it down as they sign their name, sometimes helped by who ever is with them. The only time I had any problems was with Ingrid Pitt who thought as it was a big bit of paper, so she would make a big signature.... Since then I tell whoever what to write and where.
It's more than a Hobby...

Lebowski

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
No, no Tactic, and the person signing always seems to want a good look at the poster, so they tend to hold the bottom of it for a look first, they then hold it down as they sign their name, sometimes helped by who ever is with them.

That's why I was thinking of getting the toploaders. To prevent any inadvertent damage. I know (again from my comics background) that celebrities often want to look at and flip through what you've brought them to sign. Sometimes they've never even seen the item before. This was true when I got Luke Perry's autograph on an unauthorized biography comic of him last year. Luckily, he was respectful enough to let me carefully flip through it for him so as not to damage the comic.

That's also why experienced comic autograph hounds also use "window bags" when they are getting sigs. Essentially, you cut a window into a mylar bag, so that when the comic is in the bag, only a partial amount of the cover is exposed. Very effective at preventing damage and keeping celebrities from flipping through your books.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

I'd like to revise my own statement. In haste, I didn't say what I wanted to exactly how I wanted to, and I came across just sounding firm and ignorant.

I've always wanted signatures from the Pixar brain trust. I really value and appreciate the idea of a signature of an artist you enjoy. I myself have a production sketch from The Iron Giant with Brad Bird's approval signature on it that I really love. When I'm searching however, I almost never buy an autographed item. Even if it comes with a picture of the person french kissing the celebrity in question and a hand-written love letter detailing the steamy evening they shared, there is no way to identify that it's actually the artist's signature.

I know somebody who got their picture taken with Stanley Tucci in New York but neglected to get an autograph. She said that after he left, she considered simply scribbling his name on a piece of paper and nobody would doubt he had signed it because of the picture. That's the problem with autographed items. Because even with photographic evidence and certificates of authenticity, it could still belong to anyone. This idea seems to haunt many collectors and turns them off of autographed pieces, because even if they're buying a poster they want, the signature could belong to the seller.

Now personal autographs like yours are excellent and extremely valuable, simply because you know them to be real and those around you will appreciate the credibility. I really admire your collection. Had I known the nature of your question more adequately (I jump to conclusions a lot) I wouldn't have even mentioned the compromise of resale value.

Please pardon my lunacy.

Lebowski

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
Now personal autographs like yours are excellent and extremely valuable, simply because you know them to be real and those around you will appreciate the credibility. I really admire your collection. Had I known the nature of your question more adequately (I jump to conclusions a lot) I wouldn't have even mentioned the compromise of resale value.

Please pardon my lunacy.

No worries, dude. You'll have to try a lot harder than that to offend me. I come from the CGC comic message boards, where new buttholes are ripped on an hourly basis. ;)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
Yes, the mass-signed items with fake signatures on ebay are worthless as is a good deal of merchandise offered elsewhere. Yes, "C-List" celebrities' signatures on paper probably diminish value. However, there is an established market for signed items with provenance and auctioneers and dealers will generally achieve a higher price for such paper if the signature is desirable. I quite understand why many collectors on this forum dislike posters that are signed and that they would not purchase them but it is not an accepted market view that the item is devalued.  

Mark  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:43:26 PM by marklawd »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
there is an established market for signed items with provenance

Mark is so right.. you must have provenence to make autographs valued

I don't normally deal in them because of all the fraud (however, I'm getting a collection of posters, stills and 16x20 portrait stills from a friend who knew or met or photographed each person, going back to the late 50s and got them all personally)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------