Author Topic: 'Pirates' rides steady worldwide wave  (Read 2360 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
'Pirates' rides steady worldwide wave
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
Disney adds 27 international territories
By Andrew Stewart/Variety

Continuing its steady worldwide wave, Disney added on Thursday 27 international territories for "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," posting another $25.7 million to the pic's international opening tally.

While Stateside, midnight moviegoers got the first look of "Stranger Tides," which collected an estimated $4.7 million from more than 2,200 late-night screenings.

Pic's midnight take is very encouraging for the film's potential U.S. outcome this weekend, considering Disney's "Alice in Wonderland," which opened at $116 million in March 2010, made $3.9 million during midnight shows. "Stranger Tides" also far outgrossed this year's tentpole pair, "Fast Five" and "Thor," in late-night grosses. "Fast Five" tallied $3.8 million in midnights; "Thor," $3.25 million.

Internationally, "Stranger Tides" now has cumed $44.2 million in just two days. That's approximately $4 million more than what 2007's "At World's End" made in the comparable group of markets (in total, 37) over the same timeframe.

The newest installment's key overseas driver has been Russia, which after Wednesday's record-setting launch has cumed $10.3 million vs. a total $30.1 million for "At World's End" in that territory. "Stranger Tides" is outperforming all previous "Pirates" pics, even "Alice," over a comparable period in nearly every early overseas market.

Of the pic's newest territories, Italy came in tops with $2.6 million during its opening day, followed by Australia and South Korea, which contributed $1.8 million and $1.6 million, respectively.

"Stranger Tides" will expand to more than 70 international markets this weekend, with an additional 4,155 debut locations in the U.S.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:33:49 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)