Author Topic: To catch a thief first edition (book)  (Read 8326 times)

Ogami_Itto

To catch a thief first edition (book)
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »
so i am pretty stoked to show you guys what i found today, i went to a small auction that got cancelled for lack of bidders. As i was looking around at the movie posters and art they had for sale i went to a book rack full of older looking books and i happened upon this first edition to catch a thief (needless to say i was excited), but when i held the book up and said "how much are your books?" she asked me what rack i got it off and i told her, she said 2 dollars i about did a backflip :o but i kept my cool 8)

well anyway here she is. I figured this would be right up a few peoples alley here.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: To catch a thief first edition (book)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
Very cool.  Too bad about the dust jacket :(
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »
This is awesome, dude, and I tell you who's going to love it: Holiday.  He collects first edition books and, I believe, owns quite a few of them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
Very cool.  Too bad about the dust jacket :(

I wouldn't feel too bad about the dust jacket. Dust jackets, especially for old books, rarely survive. I'm always looking for/at first printings for The Great Gatsby that never have their dust jackets. All the information I've gathered about first edition books is that if it has its dust jacket, or even just part of it in any condition, the value skyrockets. A 1st printing Gatsby goes from $2,000-$3,000 to $10,000-$12,000 with a dust jacket.

Also, your book appears to be in phenomenal condition. Give the pages a flip through and see how the inner-paper is holding up. If there's no writing, torn pages, or water damage you might have just found something very valuable.

I'm extremely happy for you, and I'm also extremely happy the book you found didn't happen to be my precious Great Gatsby. I would have been unable to be happy for you and probably cried whenever I saw your posts.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
I wouldn't feel too bad about the dust jacket. Dust jackets, especially for old books, rarely survive. I'm always looking for/at first printings for The Great Gatsby that never have their dust jackets. All the information I've gathered about first edition books is that if it has its dust jacket, or even just part of it in any condition, the value skyrockets. A 1st printing Gatsby goes from $2,000-$3,000 to $10,000-$12,000 with a dust jacket.

Hence why I said "too bad" - still a nice find no doubt!
Chris

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
Hence why I said "too bad" - still a nice find no doubt!

Sorry, I think I misread what you meant. I'm looking stupid a lot today.

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
thanks for the comments guys.

it is unfortunate about the dust cover but for two dollars hey....

the very first page of the book has a small amount of writing

and the cover is discolored

other than that i haven't seen any more writing, no missing pages ect..

as for value there are two on ebay
one for $299
http://cgi.ebay.com/catch-thief-By-David-Dodge-1951-1952-1st-edition-/220452111876?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3353f84604#ht_2177wt_1148

and one for $499
http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Dodge-CATCH-THIEF-1952-Stated-1st-Printing-/120437804675?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item1c0aa70e83#ht_1855wt_904

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »
Great book...and a steal for @...

The second Ebay listing posted this in their ad:

'Published by  Random House, 1952

States "First Printing." However, I believe this is a First Printing of the book club edition because normally a Random House First Edition would state "First Edition."'

Do any antiquarian book dealers know if this statement is true?

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
Great book...and a steal for @...

The second Ebay listing posted this in their ad:

'Published by  Random House, 1952

States "First Printing." However, I believe this is a First Printing of the book club edition because normally a Random House First Edition would state "First Edition."'

Do any antiquarian book dealers know if this statement is true?

thanks

i dont think it is , mostly because i just found this auction with the dust cover and it does not say book club anywhere
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=290540477758&nma=true&rt=nc&si=53nWQudTO8I%252Fc3xFp8xNaCgdt84%253D#ht_1082wt_904

wikipedia has the editions listed here and there is nothing about a book club release.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Thief_(novel)#Editions

also that guy wants 500 he's crazy anyway, he thinks it is a book club edition and still wants that much for it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
I'll give you $3.00 for it?  Think about it - that's a 50% profit!
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
A good find.  I have a few first editions.  Some I bought new, some I inherited.  The most notable is a first edition of Peter and Wendy.  I read it as a child, and my kids read it, although it was always handled carefully.

If you look on ebay though, you will see that a first edition P&W is not really rare.  There are always a few up for sale, and ignoring the dreamers, it seems to go for around $150.  Not sure the market is the same for old books that it is for posters.
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:03 AM »
also that guy wants 500 he's crazy anyway, he thinks it is a book club edition and still wants that much for it.

Mucho loco.
Again, great book, Evan!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
so i am pretty stoked to show you guys what i found today, i went to a small auction that got cancelled for lack of bidders. As i was looking around at the movie posters and art they had for sale i went to a book rack full of older looking books and i happened upon this first edition to catch a thief (needless to say i was excited), but when i held the book up and said "how much are your books?" she asked me what rack i got it off and i told her, she said 2 dollars i about did a backflip :o but i kept my cool 8)

well anyway here she is. I figured this would be right up a few peoples alley here.

Nice find, Ogami..    thumbup  I just happened to look at this thread this AM. Finding older books like this is great to do and fun, as well. I love looking thru old book sales, in the hopes of finding a hidden first edition of something rare or even finding something quite old, and unique.

And as some have noted, the dust jacket (or lack thereof) makes a boatload of difference in value.. Amazing what a paper "skin" can add to its $$, isnt it?  :)

Jeff

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:14:01 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff