Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666516 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
Something else you said that picked my interest: "Scarcity/rarity doesn't enter the equation when I see something I like -- that is, unless I can't afford it."  Maybe we should start with this: What can you afford?

Very little.
Once in a while I'll spend $40-50 on a poster that I've been hunting for...a must have for me.
Once in a blue moon, I'll drop a c-note on a poster that I really, really want, like THE PARISIENNE one-sheet.
I think I've only done that 4-5x in this lifetime.
But, I don't buy items because of their scarcity.
Does that make any sense?

As for Moviegoods reprints, no thanks.
Though, there are a few studio-issued reprints I have bought (DRACULA, THE MUMMY) because I will never have the finances to buy the originals.
I have only bought those because the quality was impeccable.
That has led me to the S2 prints, which are still too steep for my wallet.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
Scarcity usually comes from a lot of people wanting the same thing, thus raising the price of the piece.  If you don't spend a lot of money on posters, you probably don't go for that much scarcity in the first place.  The posters that everybody wants are usually way over $40, Ted.  I think we're talking about 2 different things here.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
There are two main motivations behind collecting - those who see it as a competition ("MY posters could beat up YOUR posters na na na!") and those that collect for the what I believe to be the right reasons (because they trully appreciate the art or the movie or the nostalgia).

So, in my opinion, those who collect from a competitive mindset have got it completely ass backwards...
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
There are two main motivations behind collecting - those who see it as a competition ("MY posters could beat up YOUR posters na na na!") and those that collect for the what I believe to be the right reasons (because they trully appreciate the art or the movie or the nostalgia).

So, in my opinion, those who collect from a competitive mindset have got it completely ass backwards...

Bingo.
That's what I am trying to understand.
Why would someone turn down a ubiquitous print for $10 but spend $400 for the same print if it is intentionally 'limited.'
It seems to me that if we rejected that mindset, there would be more art available, better artists making better profits and the profiteers would soon disappear.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
Well, the only person I can think of competing against is Ron Borst.  He's the only one I know with a real collection that I have seen.  I have yet to see one great rare poster in any of our collections.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
Why would someone turn down a ubiquitous print for $10 but spend $400 for the same print if it is intentionally 'limited.'

I've explained it all before.  If you still don't understand, it's because we're from different planets.  Kinda like your boy Gingrich and my idol Obama.  We'll never understand each other, and it's okay.  I still like you, Ted.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

I have yet to see one great rare poster in any of our collections.

T

That's a very subjective opinion Thierry.
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
That's a very subjective opinion Thierry.

Sure, but it is mine.  I don't think great collectors go on poster forums.  For one, they don't want people to know what they have.  I suppose Rich and Bruce are great collectors, but they are also dealers, thus their presence amongst us.  But after all these years, I still don't know what they own, and I understand their predicament.  If I had great pieces, I wouldn't want people to know that I have them, if anything for security reasons.  This is why I don't think any of us who display our collections have great rare pieces.  Or if we do, we don't show them, because I have yet to see them.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Under The Floorboards

• Beginner
« Reply #408 on: January 29, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
Well I guess I make the best of both worlds. I'm afraid I'm shallow enough to love owning something very limited, but I also love to own things that are old i.e my ongoing quest for Laurel and Hardy movie posters.
I buy when I can regardless of rarity, as long as I like the artwork and it's not from the dodgy 70's - 80's period (talking about L&H posters here).
Example below, I have no idea of what these movies are and even what the posters are. They're even glued to thick cardboard.
But I liked the images. And the price was right at the time.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:56:49 PM by Under The Floorboards »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »
Don't take me wrong.  I don't buy to speculate.  I own 6,500 posters, and I don't intend to sell any in my lifetime.  So I really don't care either way.  It just happened that a lot of posters I like are liked by others, and thus difficult to get.  The search and the find, knowing that you own something that others desire and have trouble getting, makes it much more enjoyable.  Maybe it's a personal thing, but the enjoyment I get from the hobby would be greatly diminished if I knew that everyone can get what I found because it is mass reproduced.  In my 10 years or so of collecting, I have never bought anything for future appreciation.  Again, I do not sell.  But hunt and rarity is what keeps me going.

T
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:13:58 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #410 on: January 29, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
Don't take me wrong.  I don't buy to speculate.  I own 6,500 posters, and I don't intend to sell any in my lifetime.  So I really don't care either way.  It just happened that a lot of posters I like are liked by others, and thus difficult to get.  The search and the find, knowing that you own something that others desire and have trouble getting, makes it much more enjoyable.  Maybe it's a personal thing, but the enjoyment I get from the hobby would be greatly diminished if I knew that everyone can get what I found because it is mass reproduced.  In my 10 years or so of collecting, I have never bought anything for future appreciation.  Again, I do not sell.  But hunt and rarity is what keeps me going.

T
I think all of us are big game hunters...our target is just paper... go figure.

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
If I had great pieces, I wouldn't want people to know that I have them, if anything for security reasons.  This is why I don't think any of us who display our collections have great rare pieces.  Or if we do, we don't show them, because I have yet to see them.

That is why I will NEVER post a pic of my FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
 cheers
My Personal Collection

Freefall

« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
That is why I will NEVER post a pic of my FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet.

Nor will you see me post a picture of my Original Metropolis OS

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »
Nor will you see me post a picture of my Original Metropolis OS

cheers to you and T.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:21 PM »
Sean has posted some pretty exceptional pieces, Oliver posted some of his amazing quad collection and then there are these... pics that I wouldn't have if the owners hadn't posted them on NSFGE...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »
Sean has posted some pretty exceptional pieces, Oliver posted some of his amazing quad collection and then there are these... pics that I wouldn't have if the owners hadn't posted them on NSFGE...

I`m lost for words.
Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
Is that THE 3 sheet?
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #418 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #419 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
Yup...

It's the kind of poster that would cause a dilemma - you spend $700,000 on it so you want to look at it all the time (understandably) but then you have to fear what could happen to it being outside a vault...
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »
If you find no poster buddy love elsewhere, let me know and I will give it a go for you.
Thanks to my bundle of joy...I'm usually up by then! :)
This print is for sale now at $60,my pay pal balance is zero just now,is anyone helping Ted out on this one ?

Stew

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #422 on: February 03, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
I got one...just in case.
Was up anyhow...sent him a PM.
Ves

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #423 on: February 03, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
I got one...just in case.
Was up anyhow...sent him a PM.
He's going to be stocked Ves.. Classy

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #424 on: February 04, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
plus.google.com/u/0/109538912458503008671/posts

I am shocked that more of these artists are not on the + yet.  It's absolutely made for visual artists.  Photographers love the joint.