Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666689 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #375 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »
What should it matter if it's 'limited' or not?
Isn't the art good enough to own?

I think a lot of us would stop collecting if our posters were available to all at any time.  Rarity is key.  Even more so with art prints.  I wouldn't buy this print if it was $10.  But I would easily spend $400 if there were only 100 printed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #376 on: January 27, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
What he said.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #377 on: January 27, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
I think a lot of us would stop collecting if our posters were available to all at any time.  Rarity is key.  Even more so with art prints.  I wouldn't buy this print if it was $10.  But I would easily spend $400 if there were only 100 printed.

T

Well, I think I'd pay $10 for a 27x40 print with this art.  But, I get the point and I think it's well-taken.  I think the artist would have done better for himself had he limited the run and then charged the money.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #378 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
How many of this print are there available?
Isn't there a finite print run?
It doesn't appear to be a screen print, or is it?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »
Well, I think I'd pay $10 for a 27x40 print with this art.  But, I get the point and I think it's well-taken.  I think the artist would have done better for himself had he limited the run and then charged the money.

It a stupid thing he did.  And it's not like others are not doing it.  Whoever he is, he has examples left and right.  He would have made a killing with numbered prints.  It kind of makes me mad because I would have loved to own a print like this.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Under The Floorboards

• Beginner
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:26 AM »
Hi Brude
It wasn't a complaint. It was just a bit too rich for me as an open edition,
The media is archival ink on canvas. I have no problem with this either.
If he's using original Epson Ultrachrome inks I know these are very high quality and expensive, but they have a non-fade guarantee of 75 years.
Also if it's canvas they should be hand finished with some sort of varnish or lacker.
So $150, I can see why he is charging it, but for me even though I like the image I would be able to pick up an original Aliens Theatrical print for that, being as this is really my first passion, collecting original movie posters.
And yes I like collecting for the rarity of things these days, it's a buzz thing I guess.

But it wasn't a complaint, if it had of been $60 I might have bought it, but I still like my art prints to be limited editions, a personal preference.

Here's a link to the ETSY shop:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/70047388/poster-019

Kind of like the Titanic one too and the other Aliens.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:20:05 AM by Under The Floorboards »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »

The Titanic poster, hmmm, to me looks more like a tumor than a iceberg, erk. Glad Leonardo is shown sunk.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »
Thanks Floorboards for all the specifics.
As a diehard theatrical release poster collector, I'm trying to understand the allure of these alternate 'tribute' posters/prints.
The terms 'limited' and 'variant' make me cringe as I equate them with expressions that ruined (for me) the fun of buying comic books many years ago.
I've always felt that they were just marketing schemes to drive prices through the roof.
Evidently, there is much more to it.
I guess I should stick with theatricals.
Thanks again.
 cheers

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
I normally don't post anything newsworthy in this thread because I am out of my element.
But. while surfing for poster news, I came across this info regarding Daniel Danger's newest print for THE WOMAN IN BLACK.
It goes on sale at his site February 3, at 2 pm (EST?) and I will be unavailable for the 'drop.'
If any of you kindhearted souls can snag an extra copy for me, I will be eternally grateful.
I think it's absolutely the shit.

Here's the Tiny Media Empire posting: http://tinymediaempire.com/news/

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
I like Danger a lot, but he's sort of a one trick pony. If you've seen one Danger print, you've seen the all, more or less.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »
I like Danger a lot, but he's sort of a one trick pony. If you've seen one Danger print, you've seen the all, more or less.

I agree. Point well taken.
But I don't have a Danger print yet, so I thought this would be a fine place to start.
Buy me one, dammit!  wynk

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2012, 12:42:01 AM »

I couldn't disagree more. He definitely sticks to his style (Edward Gorey + color), but the changes and differences in his work over the years might be the most when compared to other Mondo artists.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:20 AM »

T

I'm still trying to process this rationale.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I guess there are some of us poster heathen that don't care how many of us have the same art.
Scarcity/rarity doesn't enter the equation when I see something I like -- that is, unless I can't afford it.
I guess I've never looked at my collection as a competition nor an investment.
I'm just old school.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2012, 05:09:36 AM »
I normally don't post anything newsworthy in this thread because I am out of my element.
But. while surfing for poster news, I came across this info regarding Daniel Danger's newest print for THE WOMAN IN BLACK.
It goes on sale at his site February 3, at 2 pm (EST?) and I will be unavailable for the 'drop.'
If any of you kindhearted souls can snag an extra copy for me, I will be eternally grateful.
I think it's absolutely the shit.

Here's the Tiny Media Empire posting: http://tinymediaempire.com/news/

If you find no poster buddy love elsewhere, let me know and I will give it a go for you.
Thanks to my bundle of joy...I'm usually up by then! :)
Ves

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I guess there are some of us poster heathen that don't care how many of us have the same art.
Scarcity/rarity doesn't enter the equation when I see something I like -- that is, unless I can't afford it.
I'm just old school.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ves

guest8

« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2012, 08:47:25 AM »
I'm just old school.

Ok then .. Whats is the poster that you own, that you paid the most for! Just because you loved it and had to have it!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Hey, Fallen.  This is the rationale that I am trying to wrap my head around...

T posted it and Wonka seconded it. Both guys have fine taste and large collections of both posters and prints.
You also apparently stand by this statement, and you too have a lot in common with T and Wonka.

I do understand that print collecting is different than movie poster collecting. Two entirely different beasts.
The rationale of not buying a print for $10 (because everyone else can) but willing to buy the same print for 40x that amount (because it is limited) doesn't speak highly of the buyer's appreciation of the artist or his creation.  It speaks more to owning something that only 100 other people can as opposed to owning something 10,000 other people can.
But, it is the same art/design, which makes that philosophy sound more like competition or speculation than collecting for artistic appreciation.
And, that doesn't make sense because all three of you are obviously into art.
That is what I don't understand.

guest8

« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
Well Im sure T was being a little dramatic.. with the $10 price tag to make a point..

I personally look at a handful of factors.. Some being the artwork/artist(s)/movie .. the others...  what is it worth compared to what I am paying. If the time came that I had to sell my collection would i be able to get my money back?

This Alien print is a perfect example .. Its $150 for an open print run .. If I bought it and then 6 months later had to try and sell it I couldn't .. Unless I cut the price significantly from what I paid. Now if the same print had been limited to 100 prints I could at least get what I paid if not make a little more .. (a lot more if I could sell to T for $400!:P)

Now where T's example was flawed .. $10 is too low of a value.. If I liked the artwork Id pay $10 for anything! Heck I bought a commercial 24x36 poster of Boondock Saints for $8 in the mall just because I thought it was cool and the movie lacks any serious paper! But if that same poster was $150 theres no way Id have bought it .. Id have bought a theatrical poster or something else.

Why do we buy theatrical posters instead of reprints? Or anything from Moviegoods? Wed save a hell of a lot of money buying all reprints instead of originals .. But because we know the reprints arent worth anything they are not COLLECTIBLE, we choose to not buy them and go for the more collectible/limited original theater posters.. Sure theater posters are printed in the thousands if not 10's of thousands but that number does dwindle over time and they become hard to find for some titles. But we buy based on perceived value .. Sometimes we stray and buy a worthless $10 poster in the mall but for the most part we want to know our money isnt being tossed out the window too.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
All makes good sense.

It just seems to me that if there was a larger window of opportunity to buy these prints, several positive things would happen:

1) More prints on the market and in art lovers' hands,
2) Increased artistic competition resulting in better prints,
3) More widespread acclaim and money for the artists who excel,
4) More sales for the publishers,
5) An end to flippers who prey on collectors, artists and publishers.

Am I wrong?

guest8

« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2012, 01:17:57 PM »
All that is true .. but in the case of the Aliens print it is negated by the price tag of $150 .. Whoever is selling that is just trying to cash in on the movie print craze going on at the moment. If they really wanted an open edition they needed to price accordingly.. $10 would sell a lot of prints and also make them a lot of money.

There's a reason even Mondo doesn't increase their prices that much. They understand that even with their limited print runs they will kill off a large portion of their customer base and popularity by increasing prices that drastically.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
All that is true .. but in the case of the Aliens print it is negated by the price tag of $150 .. Whoever is selling that is just trying to cash in on the movie print craze going on at the moment. If they really wanted an open edition they needed to price accordingly.. $10 would sell a lot of prints and also make them a lot of money.

Agreed.
I like that print, but not for $150.

guest8

« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
Now ... If Aliens was re-released in theaters and they used that artwork for the one sheet ... Would you pay $150 for the one sheet?? ;)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
Now ... If Aliens was re-released in theaters and they used that artwork for the one sheet ... Would you pay $150 for the one sheet?? ;)

Nope.
$25-30 tops.
Not that I don't think it's worth more, but I have a budget I must adhere to.

guest8

« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
More for us silly people then .. Anyone else want some more of my money ?!? ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
I think Dave said it best.  If you're only after the art, Ted, just buy your posters from Moviegoods.  Why would you even bother buying the real thing if it makes no difference to you?  If price, appreciation, collectibility, rarity, mean nothing to you, if you're only after the art and nothing else, by all means buy reprints.  Some are pretty good, I swear.

As for me, I enjoy buying stuff that others cannot get easily.  This is pretty much the reason people spend outrageous amount of money in fine art.  To own that unique piece.  Some of them even like the art :)

Something else you said that picked my interest: "Scarcity/rarity doesn't enter the equation when I see something I like -- that is, unless I can't afford it."  Maybe we should start with this: What can you afford?

T
My Personal Collection