Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666703 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Charlie

Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #351 on: December 18, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »

Almost thought this was a Fantastic Mr. Fox... I might have bought it...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:38:56 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2012, 09:18:22 PM »
Got this Ken Taylor today...  I really like it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
Got this Ken Taylor today...  I really like it.

I missed out on tickets to this show, but I am anxious to see a live act at The Neptune.  It used to be one of my favorite theaters in town when it was the local rep house - saw everything from Rocky Horror to Casablanca to Boogie Nights.

I did just get tickets to see the Scottish version of The National, The Twilight Sad later this winter - highly recommended for those so inclined.

The poster is another clear winner from Taylor.  If I had been to the show, then it would have been a must have...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »
Been listening to The National for some time now. They are from here in Cincinnati, my neighbor across the street grew up with the twins in the band, and played soccer with them for over 10 years.

My wife and I saw them at this tiny theater across the river in Covington, KY and you could walk up to the stage, mingle, get a drink, whatever. It was amazing, right after Boxer was released and they had done Letterman like a week before. Obviously they had that gig scheduled right before they blew up, but yeah, they did all these dive gigs around here for several years. Probably my favorite band currently.

And yes, the poster is incredible, I bought it as well. Great perspective and colors, Taylor hit a home run on this one.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
Been listening to The National for some time now. They are from here in Cincinnati, my neighbor across the street grew up with the twins in the band, and played soccer with them for over 10 years.

My wife and I saw them at this tiny theater across the river in Covington, KY and you could walk up to the stage, mingle, get a drink, whatever. It was amazing, right after Boxer was released and they had done Letterman like a week before. Obviously they had that gig scheduled right before they blew up, but yeah, they did all these dive gigs around here for several years. Probably my favorite band currently.

And yes, the poster is incredible, I bought it as well. Great perspective and colors, Taylor hit a home run on this one.
Cool deal.  I had a few of those experiences myself.  My three friends and I were the entire mosh pit for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_aALIX0z_k&list=FLFFGElA7Qydb_JOB2BYk1gg&index=38&feature=plpp_video

Funny, I've only seen them described as a Brooklyn band, though I did wonder about the Ohio song references.  Must have had to build their hipster cred.  I really like them, but there is a sameness to their sound that wears thin after a few songs (like many good bands) that has left me on the fence about seeing them live. 

If you get a chance, check out The Twilight Sad (club touring the US in Feb/Mar) - The National/Radiohead with some Cure/My Bloody Valentine mixed in...  if you can handle the heavy Scottish accent then you'll probably like them.

To keep this on posters, is there a current artist with a higher 'hit' percentage than Taylor?  I'm thinking no...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:18 PM »
Cool deal.  I had a few of those experiences myself.  My three friends and I were the entire mosh pit for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_aALIX0z_k&list=FLFFGElA7Qydb_JOB2BYk1gg&index=38&feature=plpp_video

Uh, that's amazing. Just amazing.
The only thing I can stack against that is when I played Galaga with River Phoenix at an arcade for over an hour in San Antonio, TX in 1988.
Not sure if that's as cool as being at an older AIC pit.

Re: The National
They are all from here, although Matt (singer) moved to Brooklyn long time ago, and when they hit it big, they all moved out to NY. The show we were at was also neat because we were standing next to at least 5 of the parents of the band, pretty sure Matt's mom was there. Will check out The Twilight Sad for sure.

Taylor is hitting homers lately, although I do think his Poltergeist still reigns supreme in his Mondo/screenprint repertoire.

I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »
Uh, that's amazing. Just amazing.
The only thing I can stack against that is when I played Galaga with River Phoenix at an arcade for over an hour in San Antonio, TX in 1988.
Not sure if that's as cool as being at an older AIC pit.

Re: The National
They are all from here, although Matt (singer) moved to Brooklyn long time ago, and when they hit it big, they all moved out to NY. The show we were at was also neat because we were standing next to at least 5 of the parents of the band, pretty sure Matt's mom was there. Will check out The Twilight Sad for sure.

Taylor is hitting homers lately, although I do think his Poltergeist still reigns supreme in his Mondo/screenprint repertoire.
I am a giant River Phoenix fan.  His performance in My Own Private Idaho is a 'lost classic'... And Galaga is one of the best games ever made... that pretty high on the cool scale in my book...

It was blind luck being a teen in Seattle at the time.  Actually, I was a few years short of being 21 and able to say that I saw the real birth of most of those bands, like my scenester buddy/fellow projectionist Jeff, who gave us the early skinny (he refused to see any bar band with a cover over $5) on Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, Alice in Chains (Alice 'N Chains & Sleze before that...) and many others. 

The all-ages list of shows that I turned down to go see would have been far more impressive than the shows I did see: Soundgarden's 2nd ever show opening for Husker Du - SG was awful by all reports, Pearl Jam's 1st two shows as Pearl Jam - I didn't go solely because I thought and still think that it is a terrible name - Nirvana's Nevermind in-store record release performance and autograph signing and a number of free Mural Amphitheater shows by the aforementioned...

Taylor's GID Alien egg is my personal favorite screen print, but I have seen dozens of his that I would put right near there...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Yeah, River was pretty awesome. At that time, I just knew he was the kid in Stand By Me and a movie star, but after a few minutes, he just seemed like every other dude in the arcade. He was incredibly kind and patient, explaining how to play to my little brother and everything. My parents had no idea who he was until later.

The next May, my parents took us to see Indy and the Last Crusade since Indiana Jones was the bee's knees for me, and I had no idea River was in that, pre-Aint it Cool News days, haha. You can imagine how cool I thought it/he was when young Indy has his adventure on that train. Yes, Idaho is incredible. Would have been great to see him in Interview with the Vampire if he did not pass away so soon.

Very jealous of your early grunge environment you lived in. That describes my high school days, but switch out Seattle for boring Pittsburgh. I still wear my old Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam shirts from time to time. Kids laugh at me.

Hope Taylor keeps it up!

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #360 on: January 24, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
Got these 2 prints today.  I really like them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #361 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
What are these, Thierry? I don't get it...maybe I am trying too hard.

I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #362 on: January 24, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »
What are these, Thierry? I don't get it...maybe I am trying too hard.

They are "Thierry needlessly spending his money on shitty posters."  That's what they are.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »
They are "Thierry needlessly spending his money on shitty posters."  That's what they are.

Why are they shitty?  I agree with you on most, like Rich Kelly (the one I bought was a mistake), but these are really nice, IMO.
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »
Why are they shitty?  I agree with you on most, like Rich Kelly (the one I bought was a mistake), but these are really nice, IMO.

Because you like them. That's why.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #365 on: January 25, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »
I like you too.  Does it mean you're shit?
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »

BLAM!

I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

Oh, damn.  I lined myself up for that didn't I.

Ok, ok, I guess your love of Snoopy posters is worthy.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Under The Floorboards

• Beginner
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »
Just found this art print for Aliens, I really like it, one of my favourite films.
It's 27 x 40 so nice and big. Different approach to what is essentially an action film. Not a limited edition unfortunately and at $150 it's a bit steep!
Nice though:

guest8

« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »
Nice find! But like you said .. non limited and $150 .. Kind of kills it :(

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
A good-looking poster to be sure.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
Just found this art print for Aliens, I really like it, one of my favourite films.
It's 27 x 40 so nice and big. Different approach to what is essentially an action film. Not a limited edition unfortunately and at $150 it's a bit steep!
Nice though:

That is very cool.
Floorboards, am I correct in interpreting your complaint about the high price because it's not 'limited?'

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
If it was limited, I would get it in a heartbeat, regardless of the price.

Big mistake, IMO.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
If it was limited, I would get it in a heartbeat, regardless of the price.

Big mistake, IMO.

T

What should it matter if it's 'limited' or not?
Isn't the art good enough to own?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
What should it matter if it's 'limited' or not?
Isn't the art good enough to own?

Not for prints, it isn't.

Unless the collecting factor is moot to an individual, then yes, its good wall fodder.

I was mistaken,