Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666485 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
I really like his Ferris Bueller, but I think he completely missed the boat on Kill Bill.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
Really?? I thought he did a great job on it. I was able to get one...now I just need Stouts and I will be good to go

BloodyMurray

« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
Just got this framed!  Seems like a lot of Cooper haters on here but i love it!  Let me know what you think.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
It's an acquired taste, to be sure.  Not my taste, but I can understand the attraction.

Is Cooper your favorite print artist?

Thierry

PS: Oh, and welcome to the forum.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

BloodyMurray

« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
He's not my favorite but i enjoy a lot of his stuff.  The Gremlins print is my favorite of his that i have. 

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #255 on: April 16, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately too small for my taste...  I just don't like small prints and don't understand why people make them...

Anyhow, here's a link to the sale, since Dale was so keen on sharing :)
http://spokeeditions.bigcartel.com/

Dale, you can put your fingers in your ears and commence 'na na na na na not listening na na na'...

But those those are some terrible prints, across the board (not just Doyle - the entire show).  Considering the subject matter, it's depressing to witness, with very few exceptions, a complete lack of skill and creativity.

BTW, I like Cooper's style quite a bit, but I haven't been a fan of his subject matter.  However, that Clockwork is an abomination.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
Dale, you can put your fingers in your ears and commence 'na na na na na not listening na na na'...

But those those are some terrible prints, across the board (not just Doyle - the entire show).  Considering the subject matter, it's depressing to witness, with very few exceptions, a complete lack of skill and creativity.

BTW, I like Cooper's style quite a bit, but I haven't been a fan of his subject matter.  However, that Clockwork is an abomination.

I agree.  The only thing that came close was Budich, and that was not very good.  Doyle's were a mess.  The others not worth mentioning.  I think these artists are getting really lazy, used to throwing ink on paper and collecting free money. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
I don't know if this is for sale but is cool:

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
I like it too.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

cinemarat

« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »
John Carpenter's ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 from James Rheem Davis is now available on our web site at www.cinemaoverdrive.net/merch

The silver variant is completely sold out, but we have a few copies of the regular cyan edition still available.  Check it out if you're interested.  Thanks!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
Joshua Budich's 24x36 Pulp Fiction at SpokeArt.net sold out in less than five minutes this afternoon.  I managed to nab one:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:18:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Wow.  Budich, all the creativity of a rock...  I'm sure it was quite the rush job to get it out before Tyler sells his...

To paraphrase - What, when you buy a poster like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:34:46 PM by archie leach »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »
...when you buy a poster like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

laugh1

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
Wow.  Budich, all the creativity of a rock...  I'm sure it was quite the rush job to get it out before Tyler sells his...

To paraphrase - What, when you buy a poster like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

It's uber-lame to criticize and mock others' purchases and collections when you're too lazy or unwilling to show yours.

I like the Budich Pulp Fiction and couldn't care less what you or anybody else thinks. It's a solid "B" or 3/5 stars IMHO. 150 collectors - or really 120 collectors and 30 flippers - liked it and snapped all of them up in 5 minutes.  You can say they are all unsophisticated rubes, but you're just being obnoxious. No one's opinion about art is more valid that anyone else's.

Stout does not have a monopoly on collage drawings, although I agree he probably is the best and Budich is imitating him to some extent but it's not a zero sum game. If and when Stout puts out a PF collage I'll try to get it as well.

As far as long term value, probably none of these commercial prints will hold up, which is why I normally only buy commercial prints at the initial sale price rather than the flipper after-market price. (I've only paid extra for the Phantom of the Opera, which truly is superior.)

So here's my art print collection Archie. Why don't you show us yours?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:01:38 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »
This long sold out (I wish I had one) Blade Runner print has got to be one of the sickest non-screening movie related prints I have ever seen.  It was done for an exhibit featuring alternate posters for popular movies.  It reminds me very much of Ansin's work.

Schan

Schan,

Now THAT is a dam cool looking poster... thanks for posting that image (even if you dont own it   ;)  )

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
It's uber-lame to criticize and mock others' purchases and collections when you're too lazy or unwilling to show yours.

I like the Budich Pulp Fiction and couldn't care less what you or anybody else thinks. It's a solid "B" or 3/5 stars IMHO. 150 collectors - or really 120 collectors and 30 flippers - liked it and snapped all of them up in 5 minutes.  You can say they are all unsophisticated rubes, but you're just being obnoxious. No one's opinion about art is more valid that anyone else's.

Stout does not have a monopoly on collage drawings, although I agree he probably is the best and Budich is imitating him to some extent but it's not a zero sum game. If and when Stout puts out a PF collage I'll try to get it as well.

As far as long term value, probably none of these commercial prints will hold up, which is why I normally only buy commercial prints at the initial sale price rather than the flipper after-market price. (I've only paid extra for the Phantom of the Opera, which truly is superior.)

So here's my art print collection Archie. Why don't you show us yours?

That (section in bold) is absolutely false.  An educated opinion, regardless of the means used to acquire one, is far more valid than an uneducated one.

All Budich does is copy the prevailing 'hot' artist of the moment (it was Fairey before Stout), trying to piggyback off their success.  There is a reason that even the EB rah-rah factory (with the exception of a few noobs) goes silent for this tracer.

As for collages, I prefer the work of Jack Davis...

I have listed and discussed, many times and in many places, which prints I own.  Why anyone would need yet another picture of an image that is readily available online is beyond me.

The size, quality or willingness/ability to post online one's collection has nothing to do with anything. 

guest8

« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
Schan,

Now THAT is a dam cool looking poster... thanks for posting that image (even if you dont own it   ;)  )

Jeff

Where the heck is Schans post??? I went back to look at the picture and couldnt find anything !! :(

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
Where the heck is Schans post??? I went back to look at the picture and couldnt find anything !! :(
Go back to 2010...i think on the first or second page. I did the same thing but if you look closely  it is dated 2010 not 2011

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #268 on: June 04, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

Fallen --

this is the poster:

-Jeff

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
Schan,

Jeff

Check out Ed's site for an actual picture of it.  If I remember right, he picked up a copy at the gallery when they were first selling them.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2011, 02:45:24 AM »
Check out Ed's site for an actual picture of it.  If I remember right, he picked up a copy at the gallery when they were first selling them.

Schan,

Ed's close up shots are spectacular. So crisp and sharp. The poster was limited to a run of 25 copies. i mean-- look at the detail up close here (not Ed's pic):

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:49:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »
Ohh I totally missed that the date said 2010 ! LOL .. Thanks everyone for helping out ;) I do recall the poster now that Ive seen it, it was a giclee .. Which accounts the amount of detail .. which is amazing and part of what I feel make this a great print! But I have to at least put this one in there for consideration .. 

The Godmachine Blade Runner!!

Now if only they had made that a giclee instead of a screen print and when with some similar detail in the eyes Id say that it would possibly be the superior print.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
Contrary to the opinion of one particular permanently disgruntled forum member, the poster is superb - definitely glad I got it:

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #273 on: June 05, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
To each their own, but the Budich theme of hitching his wagon onto other people's star so blatantly irks me to no end.

Collage is one thing, no monopoly on a particular style, but his recent stuff is borderline insulting. When does his Jackie Brown come out?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
I sorta hate to say it, but when I look at it again, I do see a lot of Stout's style in it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery