Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 659720 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #1225 on: November 12, 2021, 03:14:43 PM »
I snagged one, just not sure why he went with purple. Orange would have been unoriginal and a bit on the nose, but perhaps an emerald green like the infamous ghost scene...?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #1226 on: December 09, 2021, 08:46:18 AM »
There’s some lovely prints going on in this thread. Thought I’d share this 3 colour screen printed beauty that turned up in the post today for any other fan of Ben Wheatley’s movies.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #1227 on: December 19, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »
Pelham, Is it an etching or pen and ink?  Very nice detail.  Okie

There’s some lovely prints going on in this thread. Thought I’d share this 3 colour screen printed beauty that turned up in the post today for any other fan of Ben Wheatley’s movies.

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
« Reply #1228 on: December 20, 2021, 02:58:18 PM »
Hey Okie. It’s pen and ink by artist Matthew Glover who works under the title Sin Eater. He’s also done a rather fine alternative Wicker Man poster I always keep an eye out for after missing the original run.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #1229 on: December 21, 2021, 10:02:12 PM »
Talented artist.  Okie

Hey Okie. It’s pen and ink by artist Matthew Glover who works under the title Sin Eater. He’s also done a rather fine alternative Wicker Man poster I always keep an eye out for after missing the original run.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1230 on: January 18, 2022, 08:56:28 PM »
I have been buying a lot of prints lately, mostly bc there is nothing else to buy on the poster front.

These are my favorite of the bunch.  The variant especially, with its metallic inks (impossible to show on pictures).  Anyhow, prob only cool to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1231 on: January 20, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
I like it, already had this one so passed on that group (I think :) )

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1232 on: January 20, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Be interesting to see how this Bond series does.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1233 on: March 25, 2022, 02:21:33 PM »
This one arrived earlier so I took a quick snap - screen print with art by Steven Chorney

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 02:25:42 PM by Tob »

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #1234 on: March 25, 2022, 03:16:28 PM »
That looks great Tob, very period. Steven Chorney is exceptionally good. I loved his Labyrinth poster. Brings back fond childhood memories.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1235 on: April 18, 2022, 04:39:12 PM »
I like Chorney too.  I missed out on the original drop, so I ended up getting the AP from him and it's pretty good.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1236 on: April 20, 2022, 07:03:19 PM »
New one by La Boca.  I like it :)

Signed by Malcolm McDowell, and I believe it could be authentic.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1237 on: April 21, 2022, 01:21:34 AM »
New one by La Boca.  I like it :)

Signed by Malcolm McDowell, and I believe it could be authentic.

T

Aren't you the "every signature is probably a fake and means nothing to me unless it was signed for me specially in the presence of the signatory" guy?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #1238 on: April 21, 2022, 04:39:11 AM »
Well, I am that kind of guys :)
Here are the picture of McDowell signing it on a non-flat table  :D

Not the first time that McDowell is signing art, I bought the stencil by 2Cents years ago - https://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?t=25475 

This clockwork one must be sold out already and was presumably a pre-order print as the printer "Seizure Palace" works on downpayment only.    It is a nice one, the colors aren't bad and I love loteria card.   I won't mind getting having this one in my collection? This or an original 1st release US 1sheet, which one is most expensive? I am pretty the mondo is.

Never bought a single mondo, I was into several fine art forums and noticed that many collectors were moving to the mondo posters.  To me, I understand and appreciate the all design concept and fine printing, as well as limited production done on preorder (a great way to ensure that minimal loss as printing is only done once all is presold; also popular in fine art such as time-limited preorder release)... but to me - it may sounds harsh - they are just non legit side merchandising  and many of the design were too much, overdetailed and crowded (;D   I wondered why people were buying such posters with bad designs.  They were popular on ExpressoBeans which is known for being very "American" taste-wise (it has also a lot of crowded live show posters). Why getting side merchandising if you can get an original US 1sheet??  Sure, the price!   I missed the boat, never bought a single Mondo poster.   Years later, when I see the prices some are selling, I am wondering the same, why are people willing to spend so much money on modern posters?   I guess, like all others products (LPs, vinyl toys, sneakers, NFts) in this modern times, it starts with a bunch of flippers and  MBA-qualified daddy's boys heavily stockpiling and boosting the market.

Will Mondo survive? I think it will. Thanks to Internet, the demand is getting higher and higher. The preorder business model also great for people in the market (printer, designer, retailer).    But I guess only a small number of the prints reaches crazy prices and mostly bought by the same flippers, the rest will fan in the dustbin of commercial print.  Many are just ugly.  Expect a new player in the market, soon, most will be available in NFTs so that prints can be buy with monopoly money :)   

I recall in Thailand and in Cambdgia, the number of shops selling fake Mondo was numerous.  My wife was happily surprised by the posters (emotion bias kicked in) and was about to buy some, I was like "Cm'n they are just fake repro of Mondo posters". This said, I was astonished by the fact that people are actually buying fake repros of merchandising posters ;D       
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1239 on: April 21, 2022, 10:21:40 AM »
Aren't you the "every signature is probably a fake and means nothing to me unless it was signed for me specially in the presence of the signatory" guy?

I am, more than ever actually.  You won't see me bid on anything on Bruce's upcoming signed sale.

But this had a 50 print run (there was another one with a long nose but I didn't like it), from a reputable art gallery, a cool design by La Boca, with pictures of signing, and basically the only way to acquire it.  There were no unsigned copies.  So I went for it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #1240 on: April 22, 2022, 10:20:39 PM »
You won't see me bid on anything on Bruce's upcoming signed sale

Bummer
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1241 on: April 22, 2022, 10:53:21 PM »
Hahah like you care  ;)

You'll do fine!

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1242 on: April 23, 2022, 09:04:00 AM »
Also, and I won't answer on your dealer thread because it wouldn't be very courteous (very amusing btw), it's not so much that I hate signatures, but more that I do not trust them.  Any of them.  There is nothing easier than to reproduce a signature and people who say they can certify signatures are all charlatans in my view.  But you don't do that, if I recall.  You say something like "we believe this is an authentic blah blah blah, but we won't authenticate", which is nice bc it really doesn't say much.  You leave it to the buyer to decide.  If people want to believe and if it means something to them, more power to them.  They obviously know something I don't.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #1243 on: April 23, 2022, 12:26:06 PM »
Also, and I won't answer on your dealer thread because it wouldn't be very courteous (very amusing btw), it's not so much that I hate signatures, but more that I do not trust them.  Any of them.  There is nothing easier than to reproduce a signature and people who say they can certify signatures are all charlatans in my view.  But you don't do that, if I recall.  You say something like "we believe this is an authentic blah blah blah, but we won't authenticate", which is nice bc it really doesn't say much.  You leave it to the buyer to decide.  If people want to believe and if it means something to them, more power to them.  They obviously know something I don't.

T

That all makes sense to me. In this upcoming auction, well over half the items come from two individuals who became friendly with the stars and received the signatures in person or through back and forth correspondence. And a lot of the others were acquired in person at conventions.

I agree with you on authenticators. They hire someone off the street, teach them how to tell a written signature from a printed one, and then they go online and compare it to "known" examples they find there, some of which are likely fakes that were authenticated. And ANYONE can do the same for themselves!

But because people have been taught to trust such official looking "COAs", they trust them. And that is why I tell people to do their own research.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1244 on: April 23, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »
I told this story before, but I had a friend when I worked at DreamWorks who made me sign my name on a piece of paper.  He checked it out for a few seconds then asked me to put it away.  He then scribbled something on another piece of paper and it was my exact signature.  I couldn’t tell the difference.  It’s a skill.  From that moment on, I knew I could never trust signatures again.  Some are real, some are fake, but the mere idea that I’d never know for sure was a deterrent.

Also, and that’s extremely personal, I don’t understand the point, especially if you were not there when your piece of paper was signed.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1245 on: April 23, 2022, 05:10:20 PM »
There were no unsigned copies.

I see that is the heart of it there.  And, I understand because it's a cool print.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1246 on: July 14, 2022, 08:51:10 PM »
It seems that I've been buying a lot of prints lately.  Not all great.  Certainly not worth posting.  I just got these 2, and I kinda like them.

T

My Personal Collection

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1247 on: July 15, 2022, 02:29:49 PM »

Hugh Fleming - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom at Bottleneck Gallery today. Goes well with the previous Raiders print.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1248 on: July 18, 2022, 10:34:08 PM »
Professional commission or gallery, i missed it.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #1249 on: July 18, 2022, 10:41:00 PM »
and re:fleming. I don't know how this guy hasnt blown up yet.  Work is similar to Chorney and Motzkus for likeness accuracy, but the later have a better grasp of lighting in their art.