Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666508 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
Very nice, Fallen...and a nice price, too...
Should look great in your home theater...

guest8

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
I need more frames now though !! :(

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2010, 12:34:14 AM »
Been waiting for that release for quite a while Fallen.  I definitely picked one up as well.  Its the closest thing I have seen to the Blade Runner print from way back that I haven't been able to find a copy of.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2010, 12:26:07 AM »
Yeah, got one for me too.  I wish I could have gotten the other print that was the more limited release, but I guess it sold out even before I got the email.  I don't normally buy these kind of posters, but Blade Runner remains my favorite movie of all time, so I made an exception for this. 

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

guest8

« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »
I just cant wait to see this in person .. I keep looking at that picture and I may just have to get an ornate frame like they are showing it in as well .. :P I dont know if after looking at that picture so many times any of my low key/cheap frames will look as good !

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
Let The Right Poster In:

guest8

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »
Let The Right Poster In:

LOL .. That looks nice as well .. To bad framing the real thing isnt as easy as with photoshop ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2010, 09:42:37 PM »
I just received the Ansin/El Topo variant.  The printing is amazing.  The red hands and the blood on the kid's lips really pop out.  Another amazing job from Martin. 

I know he checks this forum (I've harassed him enough :)), so Martin, congrats.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »
I found this design pretty enjoyable and well executed

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
I like Tom Whalen's (aka strongstuff) retro style (these are not for sale, apparently):

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
For those who may have watched AMC's THE WALKING DEAD, Drew Struczan is autographing 100 of the posters he did for the show.  Like the poster, but wouldn't shell out $500 for the autographed version

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
This is my first concert poster.  I am not into that scene, but this one was just too damn nice to pass on.

Ken Taylor for Phish

Poster went on sale at 12 Noon PST and was sold out less than 1 minute later.  These were APs, so I don't know how many got sold.  The initial print run was 600.

Following Alien, T2 and the recent amazing Poltergeist, this Ken Taylor dude is really starting to grow in me!!!

T
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:25:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
As a big Aliens fan, I really dig this one.

http://deadmetalclothing.bigcartel.com/product/aliens

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »

T

Now that is one I really like. thumbup
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »

T

Yup.  Picked it up yesterday when it came out. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »
A great day for prints...

First, there is the fantastic Leon Cinema Overdrive print.  Great work, Matt.

Then, Gallery 88 in Venice had an opening tonight with artwork inspired by John Hughes.  A lot of original art, and a few prints, in very limited quantity (and of course, one per customer).

First, this Ferris Bueller by Joshua Budich (75 prints total).  Looks gorgeous in person and 24x36in.

And another smaller Ferris Bueller by Max Dalton called The Board Game.  Quite inspired, 16x20in (86 prints total).

I also scored one of my most wanted with this Stout's The Lost Boys.

And a couple of weeks ago, another of my most wanted, this Leon by Jeff Boyes.

So, a good day, week and month.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2011, 01:44:39 AM »
The Joshua Budich,Ferris Bueller, is an inspiration..Great Artwork,combined with an obvious love of the characters fom the film.
Wonderful.

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2011, 07:18:17 AM »
First, this Ferris Bueller by Joshua Budich (75 prints total).  Looks gorgeous in person and 24x36in.

Man, that is great, especially showing the joyriding valets:

The artist will be selling the remaining 40 copies in March.  Sign up for his newsletter for more info:

I will have the additional 40 prints in the edition of 75 + a few (VERY FEW) APs for sale. Hopefully some time in early March when Gallery 1988 gives me the A-OK to sell them. I will send around an email with an official drop-date to my mailing list when the time comes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:51:09 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:45 AM »
I'm gonna sound like Archie (and he knows I Love him), but CRIPES, really? its scenes from the film, projected and traced, I have nothing against the easy way out but it AINT ART. For a film IMHO that is RIDICULOUSLY OVERRATED and art that is seriously CHEAPLY DONE. I might (and often are) out of the loop, but youch, I wouldn't touch this with my aunties, mother in laws, brothers, cousins ten foot pole.
Then again I have thousands of posters that mean a lot to me and nobody else wants.
Horses for courses.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

guest8

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
I'm gonna sound like Archie (and he knows I Love him), but CRIPES, really? its scenes from the film, projected and traced, I have nothing against the easy way out but it AINT ART. For a film IMHO that is RIDICULOUSLY OVERRATED and art that is seriously CHEAPLY DONE. I might (and often are) out of the loop, but youch, I wouldn't touch this with my aunties, mother in laws, brothers, cousins ten foot pole.
Then again I have thousands of posters that mean a lot to me and nobody else wants.
Horses for courses.

Although I understand your plight with calling this "art" but I think you underestimate the skill it takes to be a great illustrator .. Not to mention, show me any modern theatrical poster that is hand drawn anymore ..  Its either photos from scenes in the movies collage'd together or an illustrator using photoshop to showcase character faces .. It seems that illustrators are the new rock stars of the art world ..

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »
BUT the difference is someone who sees a scene and draws compared to projecting a scene and tracing the image.
I admit I CANNOT DO IT, he/she/it is more talented than me. But there is a difference between art and colour by numbers.
I agree re modern posters, I RARELY collect them, but AT LEAST they might be legit theatrical posters. I really do not care, enjoy what you do. but to ME this is a cheap shot at what i think is a mediocre movie.
Then again MANIAC I consider a superb movie that changed a genre and an important part in horror history.
To each his own.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »
BUT the difference is someone who sees a scene and draws compared to projecting a scene and tracing the image.
I admit I CANNOT DO IT, he/she/it is more talented than me. But there is a difference between art and colour by numbers.
I agree re modern posters, I RARELY collect them, but AT LEAST they might be legit theatrical posters. I really do not care, enjoy what you do. but to ME this is a cheap shot at what i think is a mediocre movie.
Then again MANIAC I consider a superb movie that changed a genre and an important part in horror history.
To each his own.

I use the term "artwork" generally Ari,thats all. I agree it isnt even close to being classified in the generally accepted definition of "art",illustration is a more fitting term.. ;)
I cant believe you dont like the movie,yeah the Shake it up baby scene sucks big time,but thats John Hughes for you ! thumbup

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2011, 10:02:38 AM »
Keep in mind that the US one sheet is mediocre and the very cool international one sheet is impossible to find, so this poster "fills in the gap" well by offering detailed character illustrations.  I like the character poses too.  Here's a larger size:

BTW Doesn't Mia Sara look like Hillary Clinton in this poster?

guest8

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
I think the trouble is we generalize the term art .. it encompasses painters, sculptures, photographers as well as those illustrators and people who draw freehand works .. and yes even those "performance" artists :P So we cant get hung up on a single definition of the term art .. :)  

DAMN it MEL !! Stop posting pictures !!! Im trying to NOT buy any more posters !!!  :'( moron1

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »
I picked one of these up, if nothing else, because of the different art in terms of 'filler' as Mel coined it.  I agree with this assessment.

It's not breaking any artistic molds, but the new art of classic 80s characters with the original title font/design makes this a great addition to my 80s horde.  While the art direction on it is just OK, it is nowhere near as bad as Bertmer's or Doyle's stuff.  Their work literally annoys me, an emotion I don't like to feel when looking at art.  I dig this piece because it doesn't try to be anything other than what it is, which is what the glory days of 80s posters used to be in the first place.  

I give stuff from this decade a pass, need be, design-wise if a particular poster evokes certain memories of the Happy Childhood Decade, that is all that matters.  (See: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...the best Hughes film, IMO with a poster that can be written off as just OK but I think its perfect...it makes me so happy just to look at it).  

I don't think the work on it can be downplayed though, especially since we don't know the process and time it went into it.  Determining what is art and what isn't is a waste of time, art is supposed to polarize folks, that's the beauty of it.

As you have said before, Ari...if you like it, buy it...if not, that's cool too.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,