Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 666435 times)

guest8

Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2010, 09:24:07 PM »
It really is stunning in person as well .. theres only so much depth you can get with pictures

guest8

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »
Well the 1st Hill Valley just sold on ebay .. $200 looks to be the price ... I dont believe any sold for the extreme high BIN prices .. as an investment I hope they stay where they are or go higher .. But for some reason I expect it to fall down around 100-150 .. :/

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
I just wasn't a big fan of the Hill Valley poster. I think it would have been better to have done a Twin Peaks Mall scene.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »
I am with you Chad.  The fact that its a digital print and not a silk screen did not help either.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »
You boys are missing the point.  It's a Norman Rockwell painting with a FREAKING FLYING CAR added - how cool is that?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
BTW Eric Tan's response is interesting:

As for the print being unavailable, I truly am sorry to all those who missed out on the sale. It was a crazy crowd that night and there were long lines at the register. It seemed like a run of 150 was more than enough to satisfy the in-store purchases as well as the online ones. All my other stuff for 1988 ('cept Lost) were printed in smaller runs and some are still available so I used that as a gauge. It's gotta be a sign that there are so many more people out there who are as rabid a fans as I am for BTTF. Awesome!! I'm not sure if reprints are going to happen at this point because all of the people who got the limited run will scream at me, but I'll keep you posted if there's a fair way to do it. And with future pieces, I may increase the print run so more happy customers can get what they want.

I've got mixed feelings about reprints.  I don't buy posters as "investments" - I never intend to sell - and I'd like to see much bigger print runs so everybody can get them at a reasonable price.  These @sshole flippers - not the artists - are the primary beneficiaries of the artificial scarcity of these posters.  However, this was announced as a 150 print run.

Is the solution to sell for a limited period of time (one month) rather than a set number of prints?

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2010, 01:28:40 AM »
Some artists do that.  Audrey Kawasaki does that.  This poster was discussed in another thread on this forum
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,289.30.html
This was on sale only one hour online
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/115849
I think the print run ended up being 1300 or so.

I don't like reprints.  I was fortunate to get through on this Tan.  I have paid a premium for many items when I couldn't get through.  Like it or not, one aspect of the print collecting market is the actual and/or perceived scarcity.  If Tyler Stout sold Il Grande Lebowski online for month, and anyone who wanted one could pick it up for $20 plus shipping, would people still want it so much?

Not a fan of flippers, but the want is often a more powerful need than the feeling of ownership.  The thrill of getting a bargain or getting through on a rare print is a feeling I still enjoy.  If every print was easy to acquire, what would be the fun of collecting?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2010, 07:43:58 AM »
Yeah, I've been following the arguments pro and con about reprints on Expresso Beans.  I believe Justin said there will never be reprints of the Alamo prints.  Looks like Tan may have some control over this print. 

I can't believe he really thought 150 would be enough to satisfy market demand after the Lost poster tsunami.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
On the Alamo thread on Expresso Beans Justin wrote today:

Okay...good news bad news scenario here.

Bad news...we aren't able to release what we wanted to at Comic Con. It sucks, but some things didn't line up correctly.

Good news...we're just going to release it online and release some in-store so everyone has a shot. In the long run, this will end up better for everyone.

Hopefully, it's a Star Trek print and not another Star Wars "art print."

guest8

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2010, 06:10:34 AM »
Well technically I believe Mondo owns the art work since they commissioned the pieces .. So the artist would not be allowed to recreate it .. But like Doyle did with Big Trouble in Little China .. He took a piece of the core art from the alamo poster and recreated that .. So that was his way of getting around who owns the art work ..

As for Tan's piece I believe it is his own .. He was just asked to create something for the show .. So if he feels the desire to make more he can .. But I seriously feel that would undermine how the fans feel about buying some of his 1st run artwork.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Well technically I believe Mondo owns the art work since they commissioned the pieces .. So the artist would not be allowed to recreate it .. But like Doyle did with Big Trouble in Little China .. He took a piece of the core art from the alamo poster and recreated that .. So that was his way of getting around who owns the art work ..

As for Tan's piece I believe it is his own .. He was just asked to create something for the show .. So if he feels the desire to make more he can .. But I seriously feel that would undermine how the fans feel about buying some of his 1st run artwork.
Well, Billy Perkins is doing a slightly modified art print of the Alamo print for The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (smaller, with a brown edging instead of black).  The modification was his choice and had nothing to do with Mondo.  Apparently, he owns the rights.

BTW, the new Mondo release is yet another Ansin poster, this time for Moon (reg & GID variant) based off the concept art that most resembles the regular poster.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:31 AM »
Thanks for heads up Archie. Here's the link to the scoop.  The silver glow-in-the-dark variant is the one to get:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2010, 07:37:15 AM »
San Francisco's Red Vic Movie House has these silkscreen posters in stock (Black Dynamite and Willy Wonka are sold out).  They don't have much appeal to me but maybe somebody here will like them:

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
I have the Antichrist print, and its very, very nice.  Firehouse printing does some amazing thing with their inks/printing processes.  There is a variant of the Small Change print done on metallic gold paper that is absolutely stunning, but the print run was 10.  They are surely all sitting with collectors now.

Of all of them, I was most disappointed with Raging Bull.  A print for the film had a lot of potential, but I feel like that one falls flat.  Even the variant, which was on coffee stained paper didn't do much to save it.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
Here's my Eric Tan BTTF/Hill Valley - I like it but the colors are muted, perhaps intentionally:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
Spotted this Shining print from phoneboothgallery.com:

Although I prefer Alamo's:

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:41 AM »
Spotted this Shining print from phoneboothgallery.com:

That was from a show with about a dozen interpretations of The Shining, much like the show that featured Stout's Big Lebowski.  Some looked more pseudo postery (this one) than others.

The one you posted was one of the better prints, but that is not saying much as most were really amateurish.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
New Tong Moon Drops today.  I dig it.

http://tragicsunshine.com/newsletter/?p=1388

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
New Tong Moon Drops today.  I dig it.

http://tragicsunshine.com/newsletter/?p=1388

Thanks for the heads up..Great piece...

Klattu Brada Necktie

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
I have a question. I'm an illustrator that is interested in making cool posters like these based off of cult classic movies, but I'm not sure about the licensing involved. I'm assuming that most of the artists here haven't signed licensing contracts with the movie companies for their tiny print runs, excepting Mondo.

Is there any sort of fair use laws related to the poster content? Or would could I just operate under the assumption that I'm too small of a fish for the sharks (re: corporate lawyers) to bother if I only do small, limited edition print runs? I mean, I'd be ok with that personally. After all, if I did received a cease and desist letter of some sort, I certainly would both cease and desist.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
First of, welcome.  If you get a chance, I'm sure a lot of us would love to see your designs.

As far as your question, we have a couple house lawyers who should be able to help you.  I personally think it shouldn't be a problem.  I mean, so many illustrators base their works on movies, I can't imagine them all getting licenses.  I know you can't touch Pixar or any of the mouse house flicks... but the rest?

Good question, though.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
I have a question. I'm an illustrator that is interested in making cool posters like these based off of cult classic movies, but I'm not sure about the licensing involved. I'm assuming that most of the artists here haven't signed licensing contracts with the movie companies for their tiny print runs, excepting Mondo.

Try emailing Matt Penachi at Cinema Overdrive (cinemarat"at"earthlink.net).  He just did a 100 print run of Goldfinger.  

Mondo/Alamo definitely gets licenses for its posters.  They weren't able to get one for Blues Brothers, so they can't sell the poster they printed.

Update: Now that I think about that conversation, he was telling me they give a substantial percentage of the posters as "comps" to the movie studio/movie actors, so perhaps it is possible to exchange prints for licenses (?)

Klattu Brada Necktie

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »
Try emailing Matt Penachi at Cinema Overdrive (cinemarat"at"earthlink.net).  He just did a 100 print run of Goldfinger.  

Mondo/Alamo definitely gets licenses for its posters.  They weren't able to get one for Blues Brothers, so they can't sell the poster they printed.

Update: Now that I think about that conversation, he was telling me they give a substantial percentage of the posters as "comps" to the movie studio/movie actors, so perhaps it is possible to exchange prints for licenses (?)

That sounds about right. There was an occasion that a rock poster artist visited the art school I attended and he more or less did the same thing. He would send a stack of free screen printed promo posters for an upcoming event to the band or event promoter and hold back a portion to resell. He made enough money on those he sold to make it more than worth his while. Now to figure out how to make that happen in this case...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:52:57 PM by Klattu Brada Necktie »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Great new Ansin poster.

Hurry.

http://www.vonscaramouche.com/
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
I like it .. but $100 for the variant?? with Mondo having so many releases and me being the fanboy type and buying them all up I will unfortunately have to pass on this one, although I wish I didnt .. It really is a striking poster .. Maybe if I knew the film I could have been swayed to buy it .. But I guess Im not as versed as Id liek to be in all the great films yet ;)