Author Topic: Custom Protective Sleeves from Atlantic Protective Pouches  (Read 11321 times)

Disheveledamethyst

I know there is a review thread on here for Bags Unlimited, but Josh (EegahChaka) went halves on some custom-made sleeves that I believe may be superior to those from bags unlimited.

The pouches more or less look like this:

The pouches are crystal clear, like glass, with a similar flattering gloss. They are also rather rigid because they are made of mylar, meaning they won't roll with a rolled poster (at least a loosely rolled one, I imagine. I haven't actually tested it).

The six hole punches were included with the intention of building a large easel-style binder around the sleeves giving Josh and I a method of moving and displaying a bulk of our posters at one time (similar to trading cards). The binder itself isn't built yet, but the sleeves are exactly what we were hoping for.

The protective flap keeps posters from falling out and keeps them clean. The sleeves are of course library of congress approved to be acid-free and non-threatening to paper products. The fact that the open side of the pouch is the long side makes it easier to put in a poster due to the more shallow depth of entry. There are a few more pictures that show what they look like with a poster in them posted below. The poster is Josh's, of course.

Binder tab:

Protective Flap:

The sleeves were priced depending on how many you got. Josh and I got $50 and it was roughly $10 a poster and $20 shipping putting us out about $260 each. The sleeves are thin, but can more than safely house two posters back to back.

If anybody is interested, contact Wally at http://www.atlanticprotectivepouches.com/.

Juli

Re: Custom Protective Sleeves from Atlantic Protective Pouches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »
Those are really neat. I don't have that many posters (maybe about 20) and I could use something like that, but I will wait when I have a job and make more money as it looks like it would cost a few hundred dollars.

~ Juli

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Mylar is definitely the way to go but it can be pricey to purchase. I like idea of being able to hang your posters but it is not something I would do. I know that around 50 4 mil Mylar sleeves can be had else where for around $350.00 but there is no flap or binder holes.

I am looking forward to seeing pics of your hanging easel when it is built.

Cj

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »
I have a binder-book for Japanese B2 posters, but can only imagine how bulky a one-sheet binder would be.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
Are the inside dimensions of these pouches exactly 27x41? These might be good for 27x40 posters (even that would be a more tight fit) but leaves no room to insert an older 27x41 size one sheet.

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
Are the dimensions of these pouches exactly 27x41? These might be good for 27x40 posters (even that would be a more tight fit) but leaves no room to insert an older 27x41 size one sheet.

They're not exactly 27x41. They're like 27.03x41.03, they're tailored to fit 27x41 sleeves.
Edit: Josh has put in two 27x41 posters and they fit comfortably and snugly inside.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
Great idea this easel, flip-book thing.
I look forward to seeing it completed.  thumbup

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
Great idea this easel, flip-book thing.
I look forward to seeing it completed.  thumbup

The "flip book" sounds very cool, too.  clap

I would have opted for a custom-made sleeve that was slightly larger tho. IMO, a size of 28 x 42 would give that extra inch of slide room, when inserting the poster, without fear of tearing or damaging the OS.  ;)

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
The "flip book" sounds very cool, too.  clap

I would have opted for a custom-made sleeve that was slightly larger tho. IMO, a size of 28 x 42 would give that extra inch of slide room, when inserting the poster, without fear of tearing or damaging the OS.  ;)

I totally understand that concern, it was something I kept in mind when I was ordering te sleeves in the first place. However Wally Haine assured me that the posters would slide in safely. Now that we physically have them, we can attest to that being true. The posters are very easy to insert and when they sit in the sleeves it's almost as if they are laminated.

Josh also has found you can comfortably fit six posters and the sleeves can accommodate the contents very easily.

So while it might seem like a tight fit, it's more of a perfect fit.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »
I know an older thread.
But how are they holding up?
Are they still taking orders? have you bought any more since?

Is it possible to put them in the sleeves and pin them up to the wall? ( acting as a cheap frame for now)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
I know an older thread.
But how are they holding up?
Are they still taking orders? have you bought any more since?

Is it possible to put them in the sleeves and pin them up to the wall? ( acting as a cheap frame for now)

Well, as touched on lightly in my "Greatest Invention" thread, the company is swamped with orders and are a pain in the ass to get a hold of. I have an order with them "processing" that I was supposed to be billed for in September. I don't know if they're actually busy or just disorganized, but I've been trying to place a second order for months now.

Which sucks, because their product is fantastic. There business organization is not so much...

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
I wonder if these guys would make sleeves for the 47"x63" French posters.
I'm going to get it now aren't I. eyeroll moron1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
I wonder if these guys would make sleeves for the 47"x63" French posters.
I'm going to get it now aren't I. eyeroll moron1

If so, the rest of us will just watch....  wynk

[img width= height= alt=funny gifs]http://gifs.gifbin.com/012010/1264505527_bird-fight.gif[/img]