Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677349 times)

ozcinemagic

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #600 on: July 30, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »
Hmmm... I saw the film myself at the Roxy in Parramatta in '82. My memory is hazy on details, as I wasn't even four at the time, but I know I was there, so if there are no other Aus. re-release posters, what else would they be using for the '82 re-release?

We would have copied the US art and used it in 1982, is my guess. imdb is usually pretty accurate.

Slurms_MacKenzie

« Reply #601 on: July 30, 2012, 02:07:52 AM »
We would have copied the US art and used it in 1982, is my guess. imdb is usually pretty accurate.

Yes, that'd be my guess, but probably not the '82 U.S. art, since that was in August in the U.S. whereas ours was four months earlier. I'd say we used the '81 art.

ozcinemagic

« Reply #602 on: July 30, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
Yes, that'd be my guess, but probably not the '82 U.S. art, since that was in August in the U.S. whereas ours was four months earlier. I'd say we used the '81 art.

That's right. Only the one Aus RR poster. The '81 screening date is prob just guesstimated from the 1st US re-release. More likely is our RR came afterwards in '82. Your memory of it seems to back that up, as well as imdb.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:19:38 AM by ozcinemagic »

Slurms_MacKenzie

« Reply #603 on: July 30, 2012, 03:17:44 AM »
Great, thanks Mark (and everyone else).

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #604 on: September 09, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »

Anyone ever heard of or seen this one?

18" x 24" from 1978. In the artwork C3PO is the conductor.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/aucpics2011/da3.jpg

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #605 on: September 09, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
Pretty cool. Wouldn't really consider it a "Star Wars Poster", but it's still nice and makes reference to it. The C3P0 is a nice touch (I wonder if it was actually licensed...).

If you put it up for one of your eBay no reserve auctions, I'd probably bid on it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:04:46 PM by enki »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #606 on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
http://voices.yahoo.com/1978-star-wars-benefit-concerts-few-know-this-527721.html

Interesting read. Lucas was present, so I guess it was a sanctioned event. Apparently it was never advertised outside of a limited market in California, so not much is known about it (except from the few who went there).

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #607 on: September 09, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »

Thanks for that link! Very cool info. We will be auctioning it on ebay at no reserve with lots of other great items starting Sept. 20.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #608 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »
While these aren't really posters (I believe they were used as covers/wraparound covers/c-folds for Japanese Star Wars magazines?), these paintings by Noriyoshi Ohrai are really impressive and I don't think anyone has posted them on this forum yet. 
Ohrai is the artist behind the popular Japanese ESB design everyone seems to want.
Maybe someone can convince Lucas to resurrect them to promote his upcoming 3D releases...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #609 on: September 15, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Wow, I like those Ted, great detail and love his style.

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #610 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
Anyone knows more about Dave Dorman? I think his work is gonna look good when put together.

Chengbo

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »
Wow.... And no reserve....

One way or another, when this auction ends, I'm going to be either really happy, or really sad...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »
Wow.... And no reserve....

One way or another, when this auction ends, I'm going to be either really happy, or really sad...

It shouldn't matter.
Yours is autographed by Gorged Lucas himself.
That puts yours in a class by itself, right?
 cheers

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »
It shouldn't matter.
Yours is autographed by Gorged Lucas himself.
That puts yours in a class by itself, right?
 cheers

The autograph is a nice touch, but it didn't really impact my desire for the poster. The poster alone is cool enough.

But if the CM version, which is in pretty much the same condition, goes for considerably less, that would be a tad bit depressing.

Either way, it will be interesting to watch what happens in the last five minutes.

Charlie

« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
The autograph is a nice touch, but it didn't really impact my desire for the poster. The poster alone is cool enough.

But if the CM version, which is in pretty much the same condition, goes for considerably less, that would be a tad bit depressing.

Either way, it will be interesting to watch what happens in the last five minutes.

George Lucas Sig = $$$

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
lots of "watchers" on our Sounds of Space poster now on auction on ebay. A long time die hard Star Wars collector contacted us and said he's been looking for one for 30 years! Very curious to see what it sells for. Those Star Wars "completists" can be beyond obsessive.

and the concert poster will be fun to watch too :)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
lots of "watchers" on our Sounds of Space poster now on auction on ebay. A long time die hard Star Wars collector contacted us and said he's been looking for one for 30 years! Very curious to see what it sells for. Those Star Wars "completists" can be beyond obsessive.

and the concert poster will be fun to watch too :)

ALL "completists" are obsessive... :)
David

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
I'm the top bidder on both of them right now :P

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »
Well, a couple surprises.

First, the Concert poster only went for $2550. I was hoping for more. I think there were a couple issues. One, I don't think eBay is the best place to get top dollar - especially on very rare and expensive items. It probably would have done better at another auction house. I'm sure some people will disagree with me on that, but that's my point of view and opinion. Second, and probably more importantly, is the rarity/demand/price/buyers issue. It's extremely rare, no doubt. But lately, more and more of these have been surfacing for sale. Outside of the past year, there was only one prior sale recorded, and that was on EMP from 17 years ago for about $1000. Since then, the first one to show up was on Heritage, and it sold for almost $6000. Then mine, which sold for 25% less. And now this one on eBay which sold for almost 50% less than that. I'm sure that a lot of people have been waiting to get their hands on one of these. But at the same time, only a small percentage are willing to shell out such a high dollar amount on it. So as more come on the market in such a short period of time, and the number of people who are willing to spend large amounts get their's, the value is going to start plummeting. I imagine that many people have been holding on to their copy for years, and when they saw the $6k price on HA, a few decided to cash out at the same time. Unfortunately, the more people who do that, the less it's going to be worth. Oh well, I'm still glad I was able to get mine. I imagine Dave's seller isn't too happy with the result. Hopefully, other prospective sellers will see the price drop and hold off on cashing out. Otherwise, the next one will probably go for even less.

The second surprise, to me, was that 'other' concert poster. I didn't expect it to bring $350+. I went after it, but got outbid by two others in the last two seconds. Even so, I don't know whether I would have gone that high. It's a cool and unusual - possibly unique - poster. If I had more time to think about it, I might have bid higher, but it was sitting at $25 for over a week, so I only snipped at $150. I assume the other guy Dave was talking to who desperately wanted it bid some ridiculous amount at the end.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #620 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
Yeah, that was a relative bargain, but that's the beauty of Ebay.  It's a jungle out there but you can still get relative bargains.  

Yours has George Lucas' sig - which is uncommon - so it's more valuable than the one that sold tonight.

The rest of Cinemasterpiece's auction came in pretty solid, including the $950 advance mylar.  Most of them blew up at the end but no last-minute bidders for the concert poster.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:28:32 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #621 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:28 AM »
Y'all should have paid heed to the Prophet Brude back in 2010.  As I recall, the official Star Wars store was selling them for $20ish.  (Note that Heritage mislabeled it as a "Style D" - not sure whether that inflated the price):

STAR WARS collectors (like Chad  ;) ), might like to know that the Revenge of the Sith circus style tribute poster is available again -- temporarily -- at their site..... I missed it the first time around (when they offered it with a B&W print of Matt Busch's concept art)...so, get it now if you are so inclined...it's really very nice...

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?topcatID=293;product_id=414222

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:36:22 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #622 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:19:10 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #623 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #624 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
I would totally watch Jabba Beach Party.  It should make for a nice double feature with the classic Holiday Special...