Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677340 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »
Finally found one for a lot more than HC paid but a good bit less than I expected to pay.  Whether it will show up intact in a couple of weeks remains to be seen. Seller's pic:

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
Regardless of the country, it's my favorite Star Wars art.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
There is one of those in my December auction!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #453 on: November 09, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »
Good ESB catch, Mel.
That Ohrai art is spectacular!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #454 on: November 15, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
We're redoing the bedrooms and I've been graciously told I could put up whatever I wanted in the guest room for a few weeks... or until demolition time.  So here we go...

I always wanted to see these 2 40x60in together.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #455 on: November 15, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »
We're redoing the bedrooms and I've been graciously told I could put up whatever I wanted in the guest room for a few weeks... or until demolition time.

So sad that that is what has to happen for you to get to display some of your incredible collection...  :'(

They look great though.

Charlie

« Reply #456 on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »
We're redoing the bedrooms and I've been graciously told I could put up whatever I wanted in the guest room for a few weeks... or until demolition time.  So here we go...

I always wanted to see these 2 40x60in together.

T

I hope none of your guest decide to get busy in that bed while they are up; major iron bed/poster contact damage awaits...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #457 on: November 15, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
Good point, especially since I have a couple of friends housesitting while I'm in Paris.  They might get naughty.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
Those 40x60s are great.  The problem is that they are very addictive. Once you've seen a 40x60, regular one sheets and quads seem pitiful and puny....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #459 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
I'm toying with some dude on Bruce's auctions right now for a style B.  I wait until the last 2 minutes and bid again.  I'm at $250. What's the price on these?

T
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:38:22 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #460 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »
Anyone?
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #461 on: November 15, 2011, 09:42:36 PM »
Ahhh...  I lost.  Thanks for the help :)  I love fucking with people, but in the end, it's Brucee who wins.

T
My Personal Collection

Charlie

« Reply #462 on: November 15, 2011, 10:24:28 PM »
There was an auction tonight?  I was too busy watching The New Girl.  Love me some Zoe...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #463 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
There was an auction tonight?  I was too busy watching The New Girl.  Love me some Zoe...

Yeah I like Katy's sister too.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #464 on: November 15, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
I have all the episodes on my DVR but haven't had a chance to watch them yet.  Is it that good?
My Personal Collection

Charlie

« Reply #465 on: November 15, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
I have all the episodes on my DVR but haven't had a chance to watch them yet.  Is it that good?

Well I DVR  Four shows.  House, The New Girl, Bones (Deschanel Sisters  :)) and Big Bang Theory.  I also have Zooey's She and Him Albums; not everyday music but still nice...  I fell for her in Hitchhiker's Guide...  

It's pretty funny T; but I fear it won't be for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:37:28 PM by Charlie »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
She has that "damn I wish I had a girl like that" feel right now. One F'up in paparazzi land may change things.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #467 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »
Together they can rule the poster nerd galaxy!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:11:03 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #468 on: December 03, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »
Together they can rule the poster nerd galaxy!

laugh1 

Seriously, great Aussie one sheet.

The Star Wars bug has apparently infected me, as I feel compelled to buy this game in a couple weeks, Star Wars The Old Republic (even though I've never played an MMO - like World of Warcraft).  I'll let y'all know how it goes in the Video Games thread, if I can pry myself from the game. 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #469 on: December 04, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »
That Aussie 1S makes the US 1S look extremely spartan and bare.   The original Kastell drawing was much "busier" like the Aussie Ohno art.  (As explained in the Star Wars poster book, the studio required Kastell to revise his painting to make it "less busy" resulting in the poster we see today.)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #470 on: December 15, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
This Aussie ESB 1S sold for $560.  Contact me ASAP if you are looking for one (not mine) in this price range.

od_sf

« Reply #471 on: December 19, 2011, 12:34:01 AM »
Pretty hilarious ebay listing I had to share. Check out the dimensions, price, condition of the poster, and shipping cost.  eyeroll

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-STAR-WARS-1Sh-Poster-Style-A-1977-vtg-77-21-/360418286040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ea9a99d8#ht_2642wt_956

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #472 on: December 20, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
I just won lot 121 for the opening bid of $50 in this auction: http://www.aaauctions.com/auctions/catalogs/11n3/11n3.htm

How did I do?   ;D

This is what the lot included:

And what do you think the odds are that the rolled ESRB Aussie 1-sheet is legit?  :o

Woo hoo... they finally arrived tonight!  They were packaged to a T in 2 5-inch PVC pipes, but apparently the PO wouldn't deliver them the first time around... they got sent out, then sat, and were finally returned to sender.  They went out again via UPS last week and arrived today.  I would have given a play-by-play of the happenings, but y'all had me worried about jinxing things!  About 1/4" of either edge on the quad trilogy got a bit dinged up, but that looks like it may have been like that before shipping (see auction photos).  Otherwise the rest look fantastic.  And the Style D, the ESB style B and the ESB style A are all tri-folds too boot! 

Not bad for $90 total ($50 bid, $10 BP, $30 shipping)!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:36:36 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #473 on: December 20, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
Matt - is the quad the only repro?  Spill the beans on the Aussie ESB - that's what everyone wants to know about ;)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #474 on: December 20, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
Matt - is the quad the only repro?  Spill the beans on the Aussie ESB - that's what everyone wants to know about ;)

Tough call... the paper on the ESB Aussie seems thinner and has a bit glossier back when compared to the US ESB.  The print quality is also lower, with less-sharp text and much larger half-tone dots visible at close inspection.  Then again, I've often found Aussie printings to be of lower overall quality than most US 1-sheets. 

Anyone have one of these for a close-up comparison?  Sorry for the crappy photo of Billy D... I took it with my iphone (which over saturates). Also, the lower right appears to be in focus with the upper left going out of focus a bit.  That is all due to the camera... the half-tone dots are all equally sharp.