Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677560 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
Those Moss posters are blowing everything else away right now but I still think the Birthday cake poster will win in the end.  That's probably the most pristine copy ever sold.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
disgusting.

is that hildebrandt trimmed?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
disgusting.

is that hildebrandt trimmed?

Or a bootleg!!  ;D

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
I can't spot the trimming at the top or bottom.

Lucasfilm version 29x40:

Cinemasterpieces 30x40:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:43:07 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #404 on: September 19, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »

I don't remember if we measured it exactly. My guess is that it is probably around 29.5" and they rounded down. If I have the time I'll pull it out and measure it (the poster)  ;)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #405 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
I just measured my copy which is 30" (less 1/16") x 40" (less 1/8").

Mark

guest8

« Reply #406 on: September 19, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »
damn .. Lucas is so hard up for cash now that he is now selling reprints of his movie posters !! :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #407 on: September 24, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
Final results from the charity auction:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #408 on: September 24, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
I think I was most impressed by the lightsaber RotJ for $660!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #409 on: September 24, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »
I assume that prices are inflated for several of those posters because it was a charity sale.

That silver mylar Star Wars Kilian rarely sells for more than $100 nowadays.

od_sf

« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the final bid price for the "dinner w/ Lucas & friends" auction was?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »

Bruce

« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
You were bidding on this: Dinner for Two with Filmmakers George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola, John Lasseter, Chris Columbus & Phillip Kaufman

I love this fine print:

"While all five of the Filmmakers hope to be in attendance for the Dinner, due to production schedules and or illness it may not be possible. At least 3 of the 5 Filmmakers will be present at the Dinner."

It would be a hoot if the winner only got John Lasseter, Chris Columbus & Phillip Kaufman!

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #413 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »

Who knows the answer?  I found it in less than a minute....

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #414 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »
I posted licensed reprint, but it doesn't match.  The printed in USA and style "D" points toward the fan club edition, but I thought they all had serial numbers.

(Backed off on my earlier response when I realized I had missed something)
-Jay-

agentprovocateur

« Reply #415 on: October 12, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
I assume that prices are inflated for several of those posters because it was a charity sale.

That silver mylar Star Wars Kilian rarely sells for more than $100 nowadays.

I think it might have had more to do with the provenance of the items ie. where they came from!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #416 on: October 12, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
The answer is on page 289 of the Star Wars Poster Book, which is the page that details the differences between the bootlegs, reprints, and originals.

In July 1978 Lucasfilm issued the fantastic “Style D” or “Circus Poster” Star Wars one sheet.  Two versions were printed, one with the standard NSS (National Screen Service) disclaimer paragraph and union logo and another version without the NSS information.

However, in 1992 Killian Enterprises reprinted high-quality full size (27x41) posters using the original printing plate. These were sold through the Star Wars Fan Club.  Most of the Kilian posters have a serial number, so they are easily distinguishable.  However, some Killian reprints do NOT have the serial number.  The Killian reprints without the serial numbers can be confused with the 1978 printing that lacks the NSS information. The key difference is that on the reprint the letter D in the phrase One-Sheet Style D in the bottom right is NOT in quotes:

I put together an authentication based on that info and added it to MoviePosterCollectors.com:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Star_Wars_Style_D.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:20:58 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #417 on: October 13, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
The first poster for the 3D release appears to be out...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/13/poster-for-the-phantom-menace-3d-trailer-to-hit-next-week-darth-maul-lives-in-new-clip/

...bit of a wasted opportunity IMO.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #418 on: October 13, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
The first poster for the 3D release appears to be out...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/13/poster-for-the-phantom-menace-3d-trailer-to-hit-next-week-darth-maul-lives-in-new-clip/

...bit of a wasted opportunity IMO.

Lucas probably chose it, which does not surprise me.  The guy has zero taste.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #419 on: October 13, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »
The answer is on page 289 of the Star Wars Poster Book, which is the page that details the differences between the bootlegs, reprints, and originals.

In July 1978 Lucasfilm issued the fantastic “Style D” or “Circus Poster” Star Wars one sheet.  Two versions were printed, one with the standard NSS (National Screen Service) disclaimer paragraph and union logo and another version without the NSS information.

However, in 1992 Killian Enterprises reprinted high-quality full size (27x41) posters using the original printing plate. These were sold through the Star Wars Fan Club.  Most of the Kilian posters have a serial number, so they are easily distinguishable.  However, some Killian reprints do NOT have the serial number.  The Killian reprints without the serial numbers can be confused with the 1978 printing that lacks the NSS information. The key difference is that on the reprint the letter D in the phrase One-Sheet Style D in the bottom right is NOT in quotes:

I put together an authentication based on that info and added it to MoviePosterCollectors.com:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Star_Wars_Style_D.html

I love the fact that Mel is doing the work that all of us are too lazy to do.  Way to go, Mel.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #420 on: October 13, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
Lucas probably chose it, which does not surprise me.  The guy has zero taste.

T

I don't know.  The marketing people know that (1) Darth Maul was the best character in that movie, (2) the public hated Jar-Jar and (3) no one really liked the kid or Qui-Jon.  So the poster highlights the best characters and omits the sh*tty characters.  Lucas probably still thinks those characters were a great idea, so he probably didn't design this poster.

P.S. Also they're resurrecting Darth Maul in the cartoon series, so that's also why he is highlighted.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:38:14 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #421 on: October 13, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »
Yeah, you got a point.  Still shitty, though.
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #422 on: October 13, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
I was really hoping these new 3D release posters would be art and not photo montages.
Fuck me.

longdog

« Reply #423 on: October 14, 2011, 05:41:19 AM »
Very disappointing as it simply looks like a cheap commercial poster rather than one for a theatrical release. I suspect the quad might work a little better though especially with the placement of Darth Maul.

I get the impression this must have taken all of an hour to produce and it comes across as being plain lazy... just hope a bit more time and effort has gone into the 3D conversion.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #424 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
That's really awful, lets hope it's a fan made poster.