Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677607 times)

Harry Angel

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2011, 02:39:05 PM »
Anyone remember these... Not that I've looked, but you just don't see them anymore. These are both from 1977.

Cool, I certainly remember those! They are among the old posters I dug out of storage recently. That heroes one is particularly close to my heart (along with my SW quad). Even though it would far outweigh the value of the poster I'm considering getting it nicely framed and hung up. My poster is actually slightly different from the one above:

Different logo! I've tried to find out some background on it but found nothing conclusive. The Star Wars poster book lists the standard logo version but no mention of a variant. I assume that the "pointy-W" logo was used on the initial print run and when the logo was revised later the printer was provided with the updated version. Which would make these posters among the very earliest pieces of "Star Wars" merchandise ever made, before the film was even finished! The novelisation is one of the few other places I recall seeing the pointy logo, which makes sense as it would have had to go into preparation before the film was finished to be ready for simultaneous release.

If anyone has any facts on the matter I'd be very interested. (I posted a question about it on a "Star Wars" forum but even there no one seemed to have any info on it.)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2011, 02:52:10 PM »
Never seen that one before, kind of reminds me of the Dracula 1sht Shenanigans a while back. Might it be ones that were printed in the States, as all the U.K. One's I've seen have looked like this...  I have some in jollygood condition one's somewhere, must see if I can dig them out.

Is a fellow called Jim Stevenson in the Star Wars forum? he's a U.K. based Chap, who travels to the U.S. quite a bit. He has a first rate knowledge of Star Wars Collectables...   If he isn't he maybe worth chasing up.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:01:44 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
Paul, those are great pieces.. Vader's stance in that image is particularly impressive!!  thumbup

Jeff

-Jeff

Harry Angel

« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
Never seen that one before, kind of reminds me of the Dracula 1sht Shenanigans a while back. Might it be ones that were printed in the States, as all the U.K. One's I've seen have looked like this...  I have some in jollygood condition one's somewhere, must see if I can dig them out.

Is a fellow called Jim Stevenson in the Star Wars forum? he's a U.K. based Chap, who travels to the U.S. quite a bit. He has a first rate knowledge of Star Wars Collectables...   If he isn't he maybe worth chasing up.

I would assume my poster is of European origin, it was bought in London in '77 and I recall that the company name on it is "scandecor" (which I think is/was a Swedish company?). Didn't George Lucas take the rights to publish posters as part of his payment for "Star Wars", intending to issue them to help publicise the release of his little sci-fi film? If so, then this is the product he hoped would draw the punters in!

The "Star Wars" forum was frankly a bit overwhelming for a novice like me, the volume of boards and topics was just *insane*.  :o

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
TONIGHT AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL!

Star Wars in Concert

Can't wait.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
TONIGHT AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL!

Star Wars in Concert

Can't wait.

T

Cant`t wait to see the Poster  ;D

Stew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
I wonder if they will have one.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

velvet11

« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
Cool, I certainly remember those! They are among the old posters I dug out of storage recently. That heroes one is particularly close to my heart (along with my SW quad). Even though it would far outweigh the value of the poster I'm considering getting it nicely framed and hung up. My poster is actually slightly different from the one above:

Different logo! I've tried to find out some background on it but found nothing conclusive. The Star Wars poster book lists the standard logo version but no mention of a variant. I assume that the "pointy-W" logo was used on the initial print run and when the logo was revised later the printer was provided with the updated version. Which would make these posters among the very earliest pieces of "Star Wars" merchandise ever made, before the film was even finished! The novelisation is one of the few other places I recall seeing the pointy logo, which makes sense as it would have had to go into preparation before the film was finished to be ready for simultaneous release.

If anyone has any facts on the matter I'd be very interested. (I posted a question about it on a "Star Wars" forum but even there no one seemed to have any info on it.)

A lot of early stuff featured the pointy "w." I'd say your guess that your poster was from an early print run is probably accurate.

Here's a piece on pre-release SW stuff I helped Pete Vilmur put together many moons ago. Lots of pointy w's:

http://theswca.com/relics/prerelease/index.html
 ron

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2011, 11:36:08 PM »
A lot of early stuff featured the pointy "w." I'd say your guess that your poster was from an early print run is probably accurate.

Here's a piece on pre-release SW stuff I helped Pete Vilmur put together many moons ago. Lots of pointy w's:

http://theswca.com/relics/prerelease/index.html
 ron

Thanks.  It's been a while since I've looked at that page...

Here is just about the best thing ever...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »
Cool Archie, but I got ya beat...........

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:55:10 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »
Cool Archie, but I got ya beat...........

Awesome. The only way that could be better is if his head was sticking out the window.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »
I need sound effects!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #337 on: June 05, 2011, 12:54:13 AM »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #338 on: June 05, 2011, 12:58:31 AM »
Perfect.
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:28 AM »
Seein' as how Holiday never seems to get over to this neck of the woods, I swiped this image from his website update.
Pretty jazzy piece of art...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
Not to pick on Emovie but they're selling a bootleg triple-bill Star Wars poster.  I'm sure it will soon be taken down.  Only 16 true originals were printed for eight theatres.  It's probably the rarest Star Wars poster.

The real poster:

The fake:

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320712173914&si=MGnvU3QuuX%252Bs1g9oMFii5UawvCY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_2929wt_905

Did anyone in here snag this?  I made the seller an offer to end the auction early of more than the winning bid.  They said that one sold just last year for $370 so they thought they could do much better than my offer.  I tried to tell them that since it was not mint and in a frame so no one could tell if it was mounted that it wouldn't reach $370.  They then promptly raised the starting price from $100 to $200 so I just decided not to deal with them.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
hmmm.....if someone has some great Star Wars posters currently on ebay at No Reserve.....many of them seldom seen NSS versions that are rolled/never folded....is it wrong to post it in a Star Wars posters thread?

just asking  ;D

Bruce

« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
"Not to pick on Emovie but they're selling a bootleg triple-bill Star Wars poster. "

Mel and everyone else, know that we WANT you to point out ANY mistakes we made (but please e-mail us so I don't have to patrol these boards 24/7. Once upon a time I personally looked over every item we auctioned before the listing went live, and then we had an incredibly tiny number of errors.

But with 2,000 items a week, there are a lot of them I never see, and while our employees are better than those who list for other auction places (both because we make sure they care more, and because we have a massive database of saved info and things to "look out for"). they still make some errors ever week, and then we rely on the massive army of helpful experts who look over our listings and report mistakes they find (and as you know, we quickly fix the error).

It's not that we don't make mistakes that sets us apart. It's how we react once we make one! If an auction ends and we only find out about the error afterwards (even years afterward) we still make it right, and we hunt down those buyers (we don't wait for them to maybe someday find us).

So when any of you see another mistake in one of our auctions, let us know via e-mail, and it is fine if you post it here as well (but know that we e-mail all bidders on that item in addition to fixing it, so they are sure to hear about it.

Bruce

P.S. Please lay off Dave and Kirby. I can't see how pimping their stuff every so often is a problem if they also contribute in other ways.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
hmmm.....if someone has some great Star Wars posters currently on ebay at No Reserve.....many of them seldom seen NSS versions that are rolled/never folded....is it wrong to post it in a Star Wars posters thread?

just asking  ;D
I wouldn`t think so..but then i`m not worried, i got my $0.99 cents bid in as soon as i saw them...

Unlucky Losers !!

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
"Not to pick on Emovie but they're selling a bootleg triple-bill Star Wars poster. "

Mel and everyone else, know that we WANT you to point out ANY mistakes we made (but please e-mail us so I don't have to patrol these boards 24/7. Once upon a time I personally looked over every item we auctioned before the listing went live, and then we had an incredibly tiny number of errors

I sent an email as well and, to Emovie's credit, it was promptly removed by the next morning.  Like I said, I wasn't picking on Emovie, just pointing out one of the lesser-known Star Wars bootlegs.  I've pointed out similar errors by your pals at Heritage too, including the error on the US video poster for LA Confidential.

Bruce

« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
We always go through our past sales, and if we ever sold that item in the past, we contact those past buyers and offer a full refund. You think anyone else does that?

Bruce

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Not to pick on Emovie but they're selling a bootleg triple-bill Star Wars poster.  I'm sure it will soon be taken down.  Only 16 true originals were printed for eight theatres.  It's probably the rarest Star Wars poster.

Just a quick correction to your post Mel, it was 18 posters for 9 theaters.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2011, 05:34:22 PM »
Just a quick correction to your post Mel, it was 18 posters for 9 theaters.

I saw that but the Star Wars Poster Book only lists eight theaters on page 299 and it specially says each theater got two.  But on page 144 it says nine theaters.  The eight theaters:

Egyptian, Hollywood
Avco, Westwood
Galaxy, San Fran
Continental, Denver
Carnegie, Chicago
Warner, NY
North Park, Dallas
UA 150, Seattle

Where was the 9th?

Updated:

Ahh, figured it out.  The 9th was in Toronto.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:40:18 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »
I saw that but the Star Wars Poster Book only lists eight theaters on page 299 and it specially says each theater got two.  But on page 144 it says nine theaters.  The eight theaters:

• Egyptian, Hollywood
    Avco, Westwood
    Galaxy, San Fran
    Continental, Denver
    Carnegie, Chicago
    Warner, NY
    North Park, Dallas
    UA 150, Seattle

Where was the 9th?

Hammertime!