Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 667832 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2500 on: May 13, 2022, 10:52:46 AM »
Excellent comparison and good to solve the mystery on whether it was just a wonky print run or a 'proper' variant. Thank you for sharing.

The blue was one of the first Star Wars posters I bought, many years ago. I remember it clearly as it was a Cinemasterpieces ebay auction and I was a bit drunk when I bid and the next morning I felt like I'd overpaid a little...but then when it arrived I loved it.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2501 on: May 13, 2022, 02:00:27 PM »
Interesting.  So are you saying that both versions were theater used and maybe printed by different printers?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2502 on: May 13, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »
Interesting.  So are you saying that both versions were theater used and maybe printed by different printers?

T

Not sure on either and have not looked into it. This was to answer the question "Is the purple an error".

Though it is possible one or both were sent to theaters in addition to the NSS versions the popular belief is that these were made for other purposes, promotion, giveaways, etc. I also cannot say if they may be from two different printers or not. Personally I feel that there was likely one printer. The run of both together seems too small to have needed two printers but that is just a guess. If I ever find my studio blue I can compare the printing itself but I doubt even that would be enough to say if there were two printers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:35:03 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2503 on: July 06, 2022, 04:03:55 PM »
I have heard theories that the weird color Style Bs (purple 1 sheet and dark blue half sheet) were perhaps intended for international markets.  I don't know if there is good tracking of provenance of these posters but I know of several purple versions that were "executive copies" handed out to people involved with making the movie or Lucasfilm in general. 

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2504 on: July 07, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »
Being that each use the US PG ratings box, I do not see it likely that they were intended for international markets.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2505 on: July 12, 2022, 10:22:15 PM »
that's a good point except every folded purple ESB poster I've seen has had a snipe covering the rating box and I am unsure if any rolled purples were ever theater used

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2506 on: November 26, 2022, 04:01:22 PM »
Adding a few things to my little Star Wars collection. 

I always wanted those German deko posters, but only if I found them as a complete rolled set.  I am not patient enough to do it one by one.  Let’s have someone else do it and sell it to me hahaha

T

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:30:21 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
  • Boldy Going... Into Debt
« Reply #2507 on: December 13, 2023, 10:42:53 AM »
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but I could not find it in this thread, nor anywhere on the Internet really. I am trying to figure out what the definitive release order was for the SW and ESB Burger Chef promotional posters. Why? For display purposes and OCD is how I roll.  ;D

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2508 on: December 14, 2023, 12:42:08 PM »
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but I could not find it in this thread, nor anywhere on the Internet really. I am trying to figure out what the definitive release order was for the SW and ESB Burger Chef promotional posters. Why? For display purposes and OCD is how I roll.  ;D

Interesting question and one that I have not honestly ever looked into myself.

One idea for how you may be able to get an idea is through research. Look up old print ad campaigns like newspaper advertising in metropolitan areas and TV commercials, and check the published/printed date of the paper. I am sure there are many for both poster sets. That would likely get you as close as possible without finding hardcopy release information sent to retailers, etc. which would be harder to locate, should any survive.

Just a thought on a starting point.
Just bleach the bitch!

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
« Reply #2509 on: December 14, 2023, 10:58:37 PM »
Thanks, Undead! I did do some digging. This is my best guess at the moment.

Burger King

Star Wars
01 - See-Threepio
02 - Chewbacca
03 - Luke Skywalker
04 - Darth Vader

Empire Strikes Back, The
01 - Dagobah
02 - Tauntaun
03 - Carbonite

The best resource I found was eBay listings, but sometimes those are all over the place. I tried to give weight to more experienced seller and go by consensus.

Not as easy as I thought it would be.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 11:13:21 PM by pcarnette »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2510 on: December 14, 2023, 11:04:37 PM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  Any pictures?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2511 on: December 15, 2023, 08:15:14 AM »
I think I may have misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to release dates of the individual posters between Burger King and Chef, not the order of the posters themselves.

In that case, have not looked at one in quite a while but if memory servers, there should be text stating XXXX of XXXX at the bottom. For example, I do remember, Chewbacca is number four of four for Burger Chef.

Brie, you should already have these, they are the standard Burger Chef and King give away posters.
Just bleach the bitch!

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
« Reply #2512 on: December 15, 2023, 10:33:37 AM »
Undead, thanks again! Well, don't I feel dumb. Yes, the "XXXX of XXXX" is right there at the bottom.  :o

Here is the correct order...

Burger King

Star Wars
01 - Luke Skywalker
02 - See-Threepio
03 - Darth Vader
04 - Chewbacca

Empire Strikes Back, The
01 - Dagobah
02 - Tauntaun
03 - Carbonite

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2513 on: December 15, 2023, 10:34:24 AM »
Brie, you should already have these, they are the standard Burger Chef and King give away posters.

I only collect theatrical, so I don't know what those are.

T
My Personal Collection

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
« Reply #2514 on: December 15, 2023, 04:16:00 PM »
Brie,

Here are the posters we're talking about. The SW are some serious Memberberries for me, as I had these hanging in my playroom as a kid. As for the ESB, I'm a Boris Vallejo fan. I've not located an acceptable Coca-Cola one (the last Vallejo on the right) at a price I'm comfortable with.

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2515 on: December 18, 2023, 07:19:33 PM »
Another question is which version was released first? Did one restaurant get then before the other? Did Burger Chef get them before Burger King?  There's also a version without mentioning either chain it just says distributed by Coca-Cola. Finally there is a Japanese version which I assume was last.

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #2516 on: February 06, 2024, 11:13:20 AM »
Speaking of Coke posters, here is a relatively recent acquisition.  The poster advertising the Vader Coke poster.  Pay no attention to the colorbars, those are for another poster underneath. 

A nice upgrade for a surprisingly low price at auction.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2517 on: February 06, 2024, 05:50:22 PM »
The poster advertising the Vader Coke poster.

I thought that was a typo then I look at the photo and saw that it is a poster for a poster.  cool1 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2518 on: February 06, 2024, 10:27:40 PM »

I like this one better than the other one because it is not a mass market poster, even though it advertises a mass market poster.

Pretty cool.

T
My Personal Collection