Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677571 times)

guest4955

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2325 on: August 16, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »

guest4955

« Reply #2326 on: August 20, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
John Williams sig added significant $$:

HA:

EMP:

guest4955

« Reply #2327 on: September 01, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
For sale (somewhere):

Promo for new bar at Disneyland:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2328 on: September 01, 2018, 10:17:25 PM »

This is not very nice at all, pretty awful imo.  I can't believe they couldn't come up with better.  Great concert, though, with intro by Spielberg.

The poster from a few weeks ago was better, I think.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #2329 on: September 08, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
"Cool as hell" promo photos for Solo, revealing spider legs:

No Solo sequel will ever hit theaters but he will be back on Disney streaming eventually.  devil 2

guest4955

« Reply #2330 on: September 08, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »
"Lovely" quads but primo irrational pounds. Add 25% BP:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2331 on: September 08, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »
I get the Hildebrandt quad.  Prob the best SW poster out there.  Compared to others prices, this one actually makes sense.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2332 on: September 08, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
There was no added BP in the last Sothebys auction, let alone 25%.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:45:23 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #2333 on: September 11, 2018, 06:28:21 PM »
There was no added BP in the last Sothebys auction, let alone 25%.

Sotheby’s brings back fees for online-only auctions

Charges had been waived in November to attract new customers

James Pickford in London APRIL 8, 2018 Print this page0
Sotheby’s will no longer automatically waive fees for buyers in online-only auctions, as it seeks to profit from growth in this part of the market.

In November, the auction house scrapped the “buyer’s premium” it charges those who win the bidding in online-only auctions, in an effort to attract new customers. Tad Smith, Sotheby’s chief executive, said the auction house had now partially reversed this policy. “It was a one-size-fits-all that might cut off flexibility,” he told the Financial Times.

Mr Smith, a former chief executive at the Madison Square Gardens sports and entertainment company, has been intent on pursuing innovation at the auction house since he took up his role in 2015, making a series of acquisitions including Thread Genius, an artificial intelligence company, the Mei Moses Art Indices, which tracks the art market, and Viyet, an online marketplace for decorative arts.

Online-only sales at Sotheby’s are small, accounting for just under $16m in 2017, or 1 per cent of turnover — but are seen as a vital way of bringing in new clients. Last year, 53 per cent of online bidders were new and Sotheby’s held 36 online-only sales, up from 16 in 2016. The average sale price in these auctions has been on the rise, reaching $10,000 in 2017.

Insisting . . . [on] no buyer’s premium doesn’t make any sense because we’re chopping the estate into different pieces

Tad Smith, Sotheby’s chief
Mr Smith said one of the motives for partially re-introducing online-only charges was the sale of estates. When Sotheby’s organises the sale of an individual’s estate, some works typically go under the hammer at a live auction, whereas mid-priced or lower value items might be sold online.

“Insisting . . . [on] no buyer’s premium doesn’t make any sense because we’re chopping the estate into different pieces,” said Mr Smith, adding that from April 1 Sotheby’s staff would have the freedom to decide whether or not to apply a buyer’s premium in such auctions.

Sotheby’s latest results, for the fourth quarter of 2017, showed profits rising 7 per cent to $76.7m and sales for the year totalling $5.5bn. Christie’s, the auction house owned by Francois Pinault’s Artemis group and Sotheby’s biggest rival, reported 2017 sales of $6.6bn.

Rommel Dionisio, analyst at broker Aegis Capital, said Christie’s, which does not report profits, had been more aggressive in pursuit of a market leading position through the use of auction guarantees and commission rebates.

“Christie’s is focused more on market share, Sotheby’s is more focused on profitability. This global duopoly situation to a large extent remains intact in the global auction market outside China.”

Chinese wealth has boosted art market growth in the past 20 years, and after a sluggish 2016 its market share rebounded in 2017.

Mr Dionisio said the sustainability of Chinese demand was sometimes cited as a risk factor for auction houses. “There are some concerns there about the level of debt, and potentially deceleration of their economy. You’ve also had the emergence of some Chinese domestic art auction houses so you have some competition within that market.”

guest4955

guest4955

« Reply #2335 on: September 11, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2336 on: September 11, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »
The "No Buyer's Premium" splash banner from the very last Sothebys auction that just took place last week (image taken from the Sothebys auction site). Seems crystal clear to me:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:52:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #2337 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
The "No Buyer's Premium" splash banner from the very last Sothebys auction that just completed (taken from the Sothebys auction site) -

Touche!

guest4955

« Reply #2338 on: September 11, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
Fake! But their market research presumably shows bidders like the perspective....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2339 on: September 11, 2018, 07:49:26 PM »
I finally got this little number. 

B1, rolled and mint.  It certainly took a while but it's done.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2340 on: September 12, 2018, 10:43:16 AM »
Congrats Brie!!!

These are hard to find in nice shape. Almost impossible in the shape you want.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2341 on: September 12, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
Check it, my little Star Wars Japanese collection is growing...  Still incomplete.

B2s - Neglected B2s but not anymore (missing 12)

B1s (missing 1)

B0s (missing 2)

T
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:07:58 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2342 on: September 12, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
Very nice, T. I'd do very bad things for a few of those.

I've only bought a 2 or 3 SW posters in the last few months due to the high prices, but funnily enough, one of them is a B1...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:22:54 PM by Tob »

guest4955

« Reply #2343 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
Great stuff T!

Just consigned two of these, keeping 1. Signed by Hildebrandt Brothers, sigs legit (Kilian paid them to sign hundreds they sold):

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2344 on: November 04, 2018, 09:37:59 PM »
When is this stupid Star Wars craze going to end?  I can't buy anything anymore.

Prices are just ridiculous.

:(

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2345 on: November 05, 2018, 03:44:55 AM »
What happened and where that is causing this early morning (for me) angst?

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2346 on: November 05, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
Brie, you should have started collecting Star Wars 20 years ago when the market for it was benign. The prices have gone crazy lately but sooner or later they will cool off.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2347 on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
What happened and where that is causing this early morning (for me) angst?

Well, I don't want to advertise my wants and needs, but I'm after a few specific posters that have gone up in value since the resurrection of the Star Wars franchise a few years ago.  I was hoping that the upward trend will somehow plateau at some point, even come down a little, but it doesn't seem the case.  It keeps going up and up and up...  I can't afford this shit and it is upsetting.  I'm so close, yet so far.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2348 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
Brie, you should have started collecting Star Wars 20 years ago when the market for it was benign. The prices have gone crazy lately but sooner or later they will cool off.

I missed it by a few years...  I started collecting 17 years ago.  Damn!!!!

;)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2349 on: November 06, 2018, 05:37:37 AM »
Ah, fair play indeed.

Well, I can advertise my need and just so I can say I participated (in only increasing the bid by someone else's thumping bid) I popped in a couple of bids on the Thunderball teaser quad.

And then I sat back, and lamented.