Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677464 times)

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Queen Amidala Vinyl Banner
« Reply #1825 on: December 07, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
Episode I 3.5' x 7' vinyl banner: Queen Amidala

[img width= height=]http://www.musicman.com/00pic/10150.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:53:36 AM by DarvishJo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1826 on: December 07, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »
Nice one.  thumbup  What country is that from?

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1827 on: December 08, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
This Empire Strikes Back poster Bruce is selling has an interesting back story:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4073248

I did notice one of these go for sale on a Japanese auction site in October 2015 (screengrab below that I took at the time...pretty sure it's the same poster)...very interesting how it seems this poster only seems to come from Japan. Terrific looking poster, wish I had the deep pockets to bid on it!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:00:15 AM by Tob »

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #1828 on: December 08, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
Nice one.  thumbup  What country is that from?

USA

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1829 on: December 08, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
This Empire Strikes Back poster Bruce is selling has an interesting back story:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4073248

I did notice one of these go for sale on a Japanese auction site in October 2015 (screengrab below that I took at the time...pretty sure it's the same poster)...very interesting how it seems this poster only seems to come from Japan. Terrific looking poster, wish I had the deep pockets to bid on it!

Actually this is a different one than the one Bruce is selling. Counting this one I know of at least six copies out there all appearing in the last 10 years and at least four confirmed from Japan, waiting to hear back on one more.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1830 on: December 08, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »
Sorry, when I meant the same poster...I meant the same design (not that this was the same copy that Bruce is now selling). Good info on the number you've seen in the wild, it looks to be a scarce one.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1831 on: December 08, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
No worries, my misunderstanding and thanks for posting the screen shot.  I tracked and bid on the auction as well but did not save one before the images came down. Hopefully the new owner won't mind sending me some good shots when they get it.

Anyone else have or know of one? Would love to hear even if in pm only for the census.

Definitely a tough piece but based on numbers, location and time frame I think it is not a test piece and is more likely a low production number piece only and most likely created for the Japanese market some time after the initial release. There are a few all English  pieces out there in Japan for Star Wars as we know. Whether an official poster or bootleg of some sort is hard for me to guess as I have never had one to examine. This is, like the description in the auction, speculation based on my past experience only and will likely change when or if I learn more.

If anyone knows more or has concrete facts I for one would love to hear about them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:02:53 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline GemGem

• Hobbyist
    • GemGem movie posters
« Reply #1832 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread for this or if it has been posted elsewhere so I apologise in advance. I'll move to prints section if needed.

I only found out about this poster yesterday when it appeared as a new story on my local news about a guy who was exhibiting his Star Wars collection.. He owns a copy of this rare Star Wars poster. Then this morning this link came up on my Facebook timeline about how to buy prints of the artwork and a little history behind the poster. I thought it may interest you guys.

http://spacefund.co.uk/star-wars-1977-tom-beauvais-print/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:02:30 AM by GemGem »
Roll, roll, roll, Rollergirl!!!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1833 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
Yahoo Skywalker?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1834 on: December 09, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
Almost looks like Leia had a mis-fire. She's shooting at something, while looking in totally different direction.  :D

-Jeff

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #1835 on: December 09, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
I was just about to post about the print. It's actually an original concept poster that was done by the British artist Tom Beauvais at the time of Tom Chantrell's now famous artwork, used for the quad and Style C one sheet (and many other marketing materials). Beauvais presented his art to the Fox execs alongside Chantrell's and they went with the latter. Mr Beauvais kept the concept art and when I interviewed him a couple of years ago it was the first time the art had been seen anywhere since 1977.

Here's the original interview article which was seen by the collector Matt Fox (owner of all the toys also at the exhibition) and he contacted Tom asking if he could display the artwork for the first time, alongside other Star Wars posters. Below are some pictures of Tom with the poster and Shirley Chantrell (Tom's widow).

There are also a load of pics of the exhibition itself on The Beaney's Facebook page. I'd say it's definitely worth a visit if you're anywhere near Canterbury.

The site that GemGem linked to is where you can buy a 30x40" (quad-sized) limited-edition print of the original artwork.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:38:42 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1836 on: December 09, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
I do like Beauvais' style. His quad art for Zombie II (the image of the lone hand reaching skyward, coming up out the ground) is also so very good.

Great article, Ed, as always. (As well as the photos!)

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1837 on: December 09, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
I don't know if I like it.  I'm obviously more interested in seeing a pretty Leia, but her likeness is not right and she looks a little too manly for me.  Luke is great and the rest of the drawing is fine.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1838 on: December 09, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
Just got this Rey bus stop.  I guess it belongs here.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #1839 on: December 09, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »
I don't know if I like it.  I'm obviously more interested in seeing a pretty Leia, but her likeness is not right and she looks a little too manly for me.  Luke is great and the rest of the drawing is fine.

T

She looks like that actress from Spaceballs...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1840 on: December 09, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Cool shot Brie.

This is most definitely the right place and thank you for sharing!

I for one had never seen that artwork before but like it quite a bit. If things weren't tight right now I would pick one up myself.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1841 on: December 09, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »
She looks like that actress from Spaceballs...

That's pretty spot on.  Leia Organa, not so much.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1842 on: December 09, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
Just got this Rey bus stop.  I guess it belongs here.

T

I love the Philips screw head that is visible on her saber staff, above her hidden, right eye. I guess some things never go out of style.   ;D

In all seriousness, tho, this pic shows how "rough" props can be (were / are) made.

They photograph and look good on "film" but in a hi res pic like this, the flaws can show.

(It's like the iconic (tho totally repainted) piano from Casablanca that was auctioned last year by Bonham's, as another example. Like other props I've seen, the piano looked much better on 1942 black and white celluloid, than it did, sitting on the showroom floor).

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:47:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1843 on: December 09, 2015, 11:54:49 PM »
I didn't even look at the saber.  We all have our priorities.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1844 on: December 10, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
I didn't even look at the saber.  We all have our priorities.

T

We do.. it was further down my list, too.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #1845 on: December 11, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »
           Polish RETURN OF THE JEDI 1985                      

info here:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10313.0.html

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:53:31 PM by jedgerley »

Mirosae

« Reply #1846 on: December 14, 2015, 04:28:20 AM »
SW fatigue, does it ever kick off for you? SW posters,  They are everywhere. This SW avalanche feels like a bit too much to me. But maybe it's me girly2.gif

;)

:D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:29:01 AM by Mirosae »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1847 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:32 AM »
I'm with you  >:D

Mirosae

« Reply #1848 on: December 14, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »
 ;)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1849 on: December 14, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
That is why I stick primarily to theatrical posters for the original trilogy, less posters to burn out on. There are also some really rare gems in there making the hunt fun. Can't enjoy the hunt when 50,000 were printed.
Just bleach the bitch!