Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677351 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1700 on: October 20, 2015, 04:39:12 AM »
Luke is the new Darth and he is already on the poster.
Only makes sense, eh?
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Mirosae

« Reply #1701 on: October 20, 2015, 04:45:05 AM »
Get yer tickets, get yer red hot tickets here..

Star Wars the Force Awakens tickets already all over E-Bay at some interesting prices. So far they are asking an average of $100 each. Wonder if there are any takers. Have a feeling that scalping is going into overdrive for the next few days there.

Star Wars Force Awakens Tickets

You've got to be kidding

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1702 on: October 20, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
Luke is the new Darth and he is already on the poster.
Only makes sense, eh?
That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Its possible, but I sure hope its not the case...lest it be called STAR WARS: THE SAME OLD PLOT AWAKENS

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1703 on: October 20, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »
I called Disney and they chastised me for letting the cat out of the bag.
 wynk

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1704 on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
Prepare to be sucked into a swirling eddy of despair...

The more posters I see for this film, the less I want to see the movie.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1705 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »
Fan boy art, Ted?

Or is that for real?

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1706 on: October 20, 2015, 09:20:21 PM »
I think I see "IMAX AMC" in the lower left and possibly "1 of 4" in the lower center.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1707 on: October 20, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
Yeah, i saw those too.. but figured those could have been added to make it look more "legit."    piratemel
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:24:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1708 on: October 20, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
No, its not 'fan art.'
Its legit.
Another under-size handout for select showings.
Didn't you get the memo?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2015/heres-the-first-of-amcs-posters-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1709 on: October 20, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »
Looks as quickly thrown together as they could muster.

I'm sure many will like it tho, too.

What say you, Mr "Undead" Mike??  ;D

-Jeff

Maulcreem

« Reply #1710 on: October 20, 2015, 11:35:07 PM »
Reminds me of a cover from a Dune novel.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1711 on: October 20, 2015, 11:37:49 PM »
Looks as quickly thrown together as they could muster.

I'm sure many will like it tho, too.

What say you, Mr "Undead" Mike??  ;D

I say I am a Star Wars geek to the core and have tickets already for showings on the 17th, 18th and 19th. So screw the posters, if the movie sucks I am hiring an assassin to take out Pluto and hold Micky Mouse hostage until my demands for a good movie are met. I may settle for an apartment inside Star Wars land when it is built though.  

That said it looks like crap to me, too reminiscent of the same old regurgitated styles that are used by just about every mondoesque poster created in the last couple of years. There are some notable exceptions to that of course. It reminds me of something thrown together hastily for a comicon door give away.

The latest one sheet though I do admit I like but I am always a sucker for anything that has nice use of bright vibrant colors even if it is yet another montage. The new death star in the background has me worried for the movie though and I hope it is not a regurgitated plot like they did with Jurassic Remake. The light saber with the energy cross guard bothers me to no end no matter how the movie is though. It is useless against another light saber as it would cut right through it like a hot knife through butter and the issues go on from there.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1712 on: October 21, 2015, 12:08:16 AM »
I say I am a Star Wars geek to the core and have tickets already for showings on the 17th, 18th and 19th. So screw the posters, if the movie sucks I am hiring an assassin to take out Pluto and hold Micky Mouse hostage until my demands for a good movie are met. I may settle for an apartment inside Star Wars land when it is built though.  

That said it looks like crap to me, too reminiscent of the same old regurgitated styles that are used by just about every mondoesque poster created in the last couple of years. There are some notable exceptions to that of course. It reminds me of something thrown together hastily for a comicon door give away.

The latest one sheet though I do admit I like but I am always a sucker for anything that has nice use of bright vibrant colors even if it is yet another montage. The new death star in the background has me worried for the movie though and I hope it is not a regurgitated plot like they did with Jurassic Remake. The light saber with the energy cross guard bothers me to no end no matter how the movie is though. It is useless against another light saber as it would cut right through it like a hot knife through butter and the issues go on from there.

If the previews don't play well, or the critics pan it, then Disney will be giving tix away to those initial opening day screenings, to get folks in to watch it. (not really, of course).  

And if Ford, Hamill and Fisher are little more than window dressing, without much meat to their roles and more cameo-like... then, well... .. oh boy.   Doh.gif

And Mike.. even tho colorful and vibrant (which draws me, too, to poster art, in general).. when you look closely at the latest OS, does it not look like the raw poster was possibly photo-based, which was then photo shop-enhanced, to create the final product?

As I mentioned in the other thread- look at Ford's hand and gun. Those look to be "untreated/un-enhanced" parts of a photograph. And those parts stood out to me, like a sore thumb (no pun intended).   :)

I guess to boil it all down... why not let Struzan come up with another alt style, instead of "cheaping out" this way?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:40:48 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1713 on: October 21, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #1714 on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »
You've got to be kidding

Nope.... I camped out for about 36 hours with a group of friends to see Episode 1. It was a small town so the lines didn't form until we showed up. They showed it on 3 screens and there was even some people who did not get in. I purchased 2 tickets yesterday for the Marathon. Starting at 4 am on the 18th I will be watching Episode 1 to 6, then at 7 pm on the 18th Episode 7. I have 2 tickets Rosa.....hint....hint..... haha My oldest daughter would hurt me if I gave her ticket away. Maybe next time Rosa? Episode 8?
This Space For Rent!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1715 on: October 21, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Sure it will never be like the original Star Wars (episodes 1-3 were proof of that), but its likely to be pretty fucking awesome if you ask me. 
We lucked out when JJ Abrams signed on.  Can't wait.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1716 on: October 22, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
Sure it will never be like the original Star Wars (episodes 1-3 were proof of that), but its likely to be pretty fucking awesome if you ask me. 
We lucked out when JJ Abrams signed on.  Can't wait.

How AWESOME would it have been to have Lucas come back and direct this.  notworthy.gif

That would have blown the roof off, for all SW fans.   

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1717 on: October 22, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »
How AWESOME would it have been to have Lucas come back and direct this.  notworthy.gif

Just and FYI in case you did not know, Lucas only directed Episode IV.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1718 on: October 22, 2015, 01:05:17 AM »
Just and FYI in case you did not know, Lucas only directed Episode IV.

I know and am well aware   ;)  --  hence my comment.. that being said, that fact (had it been) & the Uber-nostalgia that it would have generated, would have been momentous.

The fans, world over, would have gone crazy to see what GL himself, had done next (imho).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:11:09 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1719 on: October 22, 2015, 01:29:07 AM »
After Jar Jar I would have to beg to differ on that one. I think if he had a strong hand in it like he did for 1-3 the desire and fervor would be halved and the skepticism on how it will be would be doubled.

That of course is just my opinion and others will disagree.

No matter what I have a feeling that it is going to give Disney's stock one heck of a boost.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:29:46 AM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1720 on: October 22, 2015, 01:30:44 AM »
After Jar Jar I would have to beg to differ on that one. I think if he had a strong hand in it like he did for 1-3 the desire and fervor would be halved and the skepticism on how it will be would be doubled.

That of course is just my opinion and others will disagree.

No matter what I have a feeling that it is going to give Disney's stock one heck of a boost.

Time will tell.

For sure.

8)

-Jeff

Maulcreem

« Reply #1721 on: October 24, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
I'm one of those disappointed in Lucas' lack of involvement. Star Wars has always been the vision of a single, unique artist which is very rare in big budget movies. I fear Star Wars will turn into post Cameron Terminator now that it's controlled by committees that answer to shareholders.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1722 on: October 24, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
I'm one of those disappointed in Lucas' lack of involvement. Star Wars has always been the vision of a single, unique artist which is very rare in big budget movies. I fear Star Wars will turn into post Cameron Terminator now that it's controlled by committees that answer to shareholders.

Yep, x2 here, Maulcreem.

Especially after all these years, it would have been fantastic to see him involved on this latest SW flicker.   girly2.gif

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1723 on: October 24, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »

For me there was only 1 director who really understood how to deal with the STAR WARS universe and that was Irvin Kershner.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1724 on: October 24, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »
Lucas' lack of involvement is, I believe, the best thing that could have ever happened to the Star Wars franchise.  Remove the hack.  The guy had a great idea way back in the mid 70s and that's pretty much it.  I talked to half a dozen people who worked on Star Wars and the concensus is that Lucas got extremely lucky.  His movie came together thanks to special effects that could or could not have worked, under the supervision of anyone but Lucas.  Then Kershner and Marquand too over and delivered what Lucas could have only dreamt of delivering.  The last 3 are all Lucas and it shows.  Shit, shit and shit.  People sometimes forget that it takes a village to make a movie, and in the case of Lucas, the village had lost its mayor a long long time ago.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)