Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677514 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2010, 04:02:13 PM »
I want to show her my light saber

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
I want to show her my light saber

I have this feeling that she collects light sabers.

The force is strong in her.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
this is the Darth Vader I want to see

Is that Jeannie?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
well Thierry.. I'd unmask her, but we've been there already

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »
Rich, will you let her see your dark side?
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2010, 03:05:49 AM »
Would anyone care to post a list of the top 20 most valuable / rare, Star wars posters. I think it would be interesting to see, and also to see if everyone agrees.  Any size poster or country??
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
That sounds like a job for Mel to me.  About all I could come up with is the random "w/ Lando and Boba" one discussed earlier, Chaykin, Birthday, the Hungarians, and the triple bill.  So there are 5 of them, not sure where they fit.  I will let someone else fill in the other 15.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »
That sounds like a job for Mel to me.  About all I could come up with is the random "w/ Lando and Boba" one discussed earlier, Chaykin, Birthday, the Hungarians, and the triple bill.  So there are 5 of them, not sure where they fit.  I will let someone else fill in the other 15.

I would maybe add the Concert poster, the 7-sheet, maybe the ESB quad?  I don't really know though... I don't own a single Star Wars poster!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
I'd add the Hildebrandt art quad to the list too.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
Here's an interesting story I heard from Jerry Ohlinger.  He says that George Lucas has a one sheet (not quad) with the Hildebrandt art in his office and that only 50 of them were printed. 

I think he's mistaken or I misheard.  I believe Lucas has the original Hildebrandt art, not a one sheet printed poster.

Anybody ever heard this?

Kilian did do a re-release poster with that art.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Here's an interesting story I heard from Jerry Ohlinger.  He says that George Lucas has a one sheet (not quad) with the Hildebrandt art in his office and that only 50 of them were printed. 

I think he's mistaken or I misheard.  I believe Lucas has the original Hildebrandt art, not a one sheet printed poster.

Anybody ever heard this?

Kilian did do a re-release poster with that art.

No, to the best of my knowledge, Jerry isn't mistaken.

Back in 1977, after acquiring the "A" sheet, the 1/2 sheet (22x28) and the Hildebrandt Factors commercial poster, I was pretty disturbed when the Tom Chantrell "C" sheet appeared because I thought I had missed a "B" sheet.  Well, what the heck was this "B" sheet? I had to get one.

Back then, there were very few movie poster outlets. I used to buy from Fred Clarke of Cinefantastique in Illinois, the Movie Gallery on Long Island, Hollywood Poster Shop in CA, and Jerry Ohlinger and Howard Rogofsky, both in NYC. I contacted all of them and was told the same thing...

The Factors commercial Hildebrandt was the "B" sheet that never made it to theaters. Apparently, the Hildebrandt art was used as the first UK Quad and, when Lucas saw the art reformatted as a one sheet, he nixed it for domestic theatrical use and it became the Factors commercial poster. There was also a lot of talk about 50 printers proofs floating around Fox and I remember seeing a photo of one on the wall of what was supposedly Lucas' office.  I have no reason to doubt this chapter in Star Wars poster history unless Greg Hildebrandt or George Lucas say otherwise.

I eventually did acquire a Spanish language Hildebrandt "B" sheet and the Kilian anniversary one sheet that you posted. But. if these Hildebrandt printer's proofs do exist, they would undoubtedly be the most rare and most valuable of all Star Wars posters.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
I used to buy from Fred Clarke of Cinefantastique in Illinois, the Movie Gallery on Long Island, Hollywood Poster Shop in CA, and Jerry Ohlinger and Howard Rogofsky, both in NYC

I'm always amazed to find out how many comic dealers were/are also poster dealers

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2010, 06:50:27 PM »
This may be old news but I was looking at some past sales of Star Wars C posters on Heritage and there is no doubt that this poster sold in 2007 for $358 is the bootleg poster.   If you look at the super-sized image, the hair on Leia's back and the missing gas cloud are obvious.

Was Heritage dinged for this back in 2007 on the forums? I recall some criticism of them for selling bootlegs. (They may have used a stock photo of a bootleg but sold the real thing.)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »
Irvin Kershner, the director of ESB, has died.  Here's an illuminating last interview with him.

I agree with this:

What foreign films have affected you and why?

American film tends to be sentimental and rarely depicts the soul of its citizens. And if the film doesn’t have guns, it isn’t an action film. But for me, the real turnoff is in the final scenes. The experience is often wrapped up in a pretty consumer package guaranteed to show us that life is good and people finally see the light. Foreign films tend not to have this denouement. The chips fall and lay dead and buried if need be. Think of Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai, David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia, Ingmar Berman’s great films Fanny and Alexander and Cries and Whispers, or Fellini’s 8 1/2. The stories are not skewed for the happy ending. The studio system is geared to make money, not to tell stories. American films generally cost too much to make and cost millions more to advertise so that the product can open as many pockets as possible.

P.S. Some rare ESB images in the same issue.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:03:24 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »
Question: What's this?

Question: and this...?

Answer: The brainchild of a very creative designer by the name of Matt Ranzetta.

Check out Matt's blog to find out more.... http://mattranzetta.blogspot.com/

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
The above prints by Matt Ranzetta just went on sale for anyone's that's interested.  Have no idea as to print run (may be open ended) but you can purchase them in a variety of formats including t-shirts, if you so choose

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2010, 12:34:48 AM »
Missed this one until I checked out Emovie's results from tonight's auction.  The ESB Style B poster on the left (sold for $160) is described as "printed for internal studio use only" with different colors than the released version on the right:

Matt

« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
Just got this from Hideyuki from his latest auctions on Ebay.  A rolled Aussie one sheet.

Delivered in a pvc tube. The most professionally packed poster I've ever received. Sticky tape folded over itself at the ends with arrows pointing which way to peel off. It was a dream to open this one. And talk about near mint, it is bloody sensational.

Well done Hideyuki and thanks. ;D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
Great poster, Matt.  thumbup

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »
Awesome Matt and rolled!  Wow...
Chris

Matt

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2010, 01:43:13 AM »
Thanks guys :)

Chris, did you get my PM from NS4?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
Just got this from Hideyuki from his latest auctions on Ebay.  A rolled Aussie one sheet.

Delivered in a pvc tube. The most professionally packed poster I've ever received. Sticky tape folded over itself at the ends with arrows pointing which way to peel off. It was a dream to open this one. And talk about near mint, it is bloody sensational.

Well done Hideyuki and thanks. ;D

Stellar, Matt

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
That is pretty cool, Matt.

Yeah, the purple Empire is a tough one to find, I thought it would go for more.  I was going to jump in the game on that one, but ever since the prequels...well, I am a bit scarred for life on that stuff despite my fond childhood memories before Lucas went midicholorian crazy.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »
midicholorian crazy.

Hey, Ben...pardon my ignorance, but what do dat mean?  Midicholorian?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
Hey, Ben...pardon my ignorance, but what do dat mean?  Midicholorian?

The Force, basically...
Chris