Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677305 times)

GeneralVeers

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1100 on: May 02, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
Anyway, congrats to EMP, I'm sure the consignor is very happy, even if he is a poster murderer ;)

That assumes that the person that consigned the collection to EMP is the same person that had the collection linen-backed.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1101 on: May 02, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
Over the years, the 1982R art for EMPIRE has really grown on me. I really love it. Very cool, very funky...has the 'look'. Much better than the 1981R art, more of it, and better layout.

Jealous of the buyer who bought the rare teal version, its a great poster. Shame about the linen of course, but a damn cool poster.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1102 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »
Jealous of the buyer who bought the rare teal version, its a great poster. Shame about the linen of course, but a damn cool poster.

Yep, one of those slipped by last year for $274, I missed it....

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161339&lotNo=51116

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1103 on: May 02, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »

Actually, this sale made me really happy.  I would have probably gone after a bunch of these posters had they not been linenbacked.  So no regrets whatsoever.  To me, it's almost as if the posters had holes in them.  Linenbacking modern posters damages them, IMO.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

GeneralVeers

« Reply #1104 on: May 02, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
Actually, this sale made me really happy.  I would have probably gone after a bunch of these posters had they not been linenbacked.  So no regrets whatsoever.  To me, it's almost as if the posters had holes in them.  Linenbacking modern posters damages them, IMO.

T

Based on the record prices obtained on this auction, it seems the buying public does not feel the same way.

I used to collect golden and silver age comic books and when I began to see them "professionally graded" and entombed forever in a plastic shell, I thought it was the worst idea the hobby had ever had. It made 98% of the book unaccessible forever. I thought for sure it would fail. Yet these graded books continue to realize higher prices than unslabbed comics with the same grade.  It seems the buying public does not feel the same way as me on this issue. And buyers are what determine prices.

Clearly, many buyers want linen-backed posters. And they are driving the market prices right now.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1105 on: May 02, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
At the end of the day, there will always be those that really like or prefer posters that are backed, regardless of their pre-backed condition, those that do it for conservation and preservation, only, and the ones that truly dislike it altogether (unless maybe a poster is crumbling). 

As the saying goes: "Whatever floats your boat."  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:16:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1106 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »
At the end of the day, there will always be those that really like or prefer posters that are backed, regardless of their pre-backed condition, those that do it for conservation and preservation, only, and the ones that truly dislike it altogether (unless a poster is crumbling).

As the saying goes: "Whatever floats your boat."  ;)

Not in this situation. The seller ruined the "specialness" of these unique posters and transformed them into "just another" linen-backed poster.

It's like mixing extremely expensive rum with Coke. It's just another rum-and-coke now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:22:30 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1107 on: May 02, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
Maybe I should back my Bieber posters and send them to Bruce.  The same buyers would probably go for them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1108 on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
Not in this situation. The seller ruined the "specialness" of these unique posters and transformed them into "just another" linen-backed poster.

That was my point - that each do it for reasons they deem important.

Don't get me wrong, I also feel that to have linen backed that selection of rolled and rather pristine copies was complete overkill, too. That's why it would be great to know the reasoning of the person who had them all done.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:28:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1109 on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Maybe I should back my Bieber posters and send them to Bruce.  The same buyers would probably go for them.

T

cool1

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1110 on: May 02, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
That's why it would be great to know the reasoning of the person who had them all done.

I asked Bruce on his own thread but he didn't answer.  Silence is golden.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1111 on: May 02, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »
That assumes that the person that consigned the collection to EMP is the same person that had the collection linen-backed.

The consigner is the same person that had them linen-backed. See thread on NSFGE...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1112 on: May 02, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
Based on the record prices obtained on this auction, it seems the buying public does not feel the same way.

Clearly, many buyers want linen-backed posters. And they are driving the market prices right now.

Not necessarily.  Just because they did well does not mean that they would not have done even better unbacked.  The pool of bidders was clearly lessened by the fact that they were backed, but how much of an effect it had on the gavel price is hard to say. 

Most of the top posters were purchase by just a few collectors.  It is more accurate to say "Clearly, many some buyers want don't mind linen-backed posters. And they are driving drove the market prices right now for this auction".

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1113 on: May 02, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
Not necessarily.  Just because they did well does not mean that they would not have done even better unbacked.  The pool of bidders was clearly lessened by the fact that they were backed, but how much of an effect it had on the gavel price is hard to say. 

Most of the top posters were purchase by just a few collectors.  It is more accurate to say "Clearly, many some buyers want don't mind linen-backed posters. And they are driving drove the market prices right now for this auction".

sm1

T
My Personal Collection

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1114 on: May 03, 2014, 12:52:06 AM »
Not surprising,really.Given the rarity,even being backed has no consequence.There's plenty of collectors that will buy backed posters.Personally,I don't think if they were unbacked it would've been much different.A little more action but not overwhelming.

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1115 on: May 03, 2014, 01:00:00 AM »
"Emovie Freakonomics": Irrational high bidding occasionally manifesting on EmoviePoster.com, great for consignors:

I paid $750 for mine.  Hell, the bidder could have bought a near-perfect rolled copy from CINEMASTERPIECES (of all purveyors):

Well,you know what's coming now....

Congrats on $750.Never seen one go that cheap.Not even a decade ago.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1116 on: May 03, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »

I bought one for 50 euros a couple years ago. Really 8)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1117 on: May 03, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »

The force was clearly with you
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1118 on: May 03, 2014, 01:33:37 AM »
My first padawan was about to be born. The Force was with her  ;)
Matias

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1119 on: May 03, 2014, 01:35:24 AM »
Matias

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1120 on: May 03, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »
It was kinda folded...
Matias

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1121 on: May 03, 2014, 02:15:43 AM »
It was kinda folded...

And never backed...  ;)

Any restore/touch-up plans for this one, tho, Matias?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:55:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #1122 on: May 03, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
Not surprising,really.Given the rarity,even being backed has no consequence.There's plenty of collectors that will buy backed posters.Personally,I don't think if they were unbacked it would've been much different.A little more action but not overwhelming.

Agreed.

I too get the arguments why LB was not needed. Forgive me if I am being blunt. No offence intended.  But there is a lot of OTT here. The poster was LB. It is not like it was destroyed or damaged forever. Reading your post one would have thought that the posters were used as toilet paper, capital punishment to say the least. It is a rare poster. It is special. And it was in excellent condition.  Did it need LB? No. Has it destroyed the poster? NO. Is it the end of the world as we know it? No. Does it really matter? N.O.P.E

I was going to say something about rum and coke but ay ay run out of energy..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1123 on: May 03, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

And congrats on the 50 euro find! That's fantastic, Matias!  happy1

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1124 on: May 03, 2014, 04:20:01 PM »

Well,you know what's coming now....

Yes, got it when Dan "MoviePosterAuthentication.com" unloaded his posters on Ebay.  I kept asking him why he wouldn't consign and get better prices but he never answered.

Anyway, under Emovie Freakonomics, I could get it linebacked for another $150 and magically increase its value to $3,150.

But I think it was aberrational based on past results:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:43:39 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »