Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677528 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1025 on: November 01, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
This story + JJ Abrams' involvement...  I don't know why, but I have a feeling the new SW is going to royally SUCK!!!

As we know from last week, writer Michael Arndt took leave from the production of Star Wars: Episode VII and J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (who co-wrote the 1980 Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back) had to start writing a new script from scratch. It was a tough situation for producer Kathleen Kennedy and her creative team to face. She naively has thought that in the light of the new situation she could push the deadline of the film’s release for 2016. But what was Disney’s answer to this? “No way.”

This obviously put a lot of pressure on director J.J. Abrams and his Star Wars-team, who quickly has to get back to work, if they want to finish by the originally announced deadline, May 2015.

As The Hollywood Reporter confirms (via Screen Crush) Lucasfilm went to see Disney CEO Robert Iger with their wish, but he was “adamant” about the issue. Lucasfilm still has to release the new Star Wars in 2015.

As Screen Crush reports, the start of the filming has already been pushed back to spring 2014 and if they shoot it for 3 months, it would only leave about 8 to the lengthy post-production process.

But why does Disney insist so much on 2015? Could it be that they want to release Star Wars for Christmas 2015 like it was previously rumoured? Or maybe because Disney paid $4 billion fro Lucasfilm and they want to start to make the money back?

Will the movie live up to its reputation if the crew just does not have enough time to make it properly?

Well, you never know.  Star Trek 2 is considered the "best" Star Trek movie and it was a very messy development process.  They pulled in Nicholas Meyer at the last minute to "save the day" to write the screenplay IN TWELVE DAYS!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan

Karen Moore, a Paramount executive, suggested to Bennett that Nicholas Meyer, writer of The Seven-Per-Cent Solution and director of Time After Time, could help resolve the screenplay issues.[10] Meyer had also never seen an episode of Star Trek.[28] He had the idea of making a list consisting of everything that the creative team had liked from the preceding drafts—"it could be a character, it could be a scene, it could be a plot, it could be a subplot, [...] it could be a line of dialogue"—so that he could use that list as the basis of a new screenplay made from all the best aspects of the previous ones.[10][8] To offset fan expectation that Spock would die, Meyer had the character "killed" in the Kobayashi Maru simulator in the opening scene.[9][8] The effects company required a completed script in just 12 days. Meyer wrote the screenplay uncredited and for no pay before the deadline, surprising the actors and producers,[10] and rapidly produced subsequent rewrites as necessary....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:29:32 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1026 on: November 01, 2013, 08:42:52 PM »
That said I am not holding my breath that this will come anywhere near the magic of the original trilogy.  That style of film making is sadly long dead...

My feelings exactly.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1027 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
Aside from "Gravity" of course.

Haven't seen it, but I have heard great things from folks I trust so that is great.

Re: Jedi.
I grew up OBSESSED with SW and Indy. When I look back and watch SW now, the first two films are incredible and Jedi is very cheesy and sloppy. It has great moments, scenes, characters, etc...but not anywhere near the first two. Jabba is cool, I have no problem with Jabba. Lucas screwed that scene beyond repair in the special editions, though...with that CG crap. Ugh.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1028 on: November 03, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »
Signed and doodled by Greg Hildebrandt and limited to 300. Size is odd...is this a commercial poster from 1977 or something?

http://www.spiderwebart.com/productsd.asp?snob=110634

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1029 on: November 03, 2013, 06:11:24 AM »
Haven't seen it, but I have heard great things from folks I trust so that is great.

Re: Jedi.
I grew up OBSESSED with SW and Indy. When I look back and watch SW now, the first two films are incredible and Jedi is very cheesy and sloppy. It has great moments, scenes, characters, etc...but not anywhere near the first two. Jabba is cool, I have no problem with Jabba. Lucas screwed that scene beyond repair in the special editions, though...with that CG crap. Ugh.

What's odd to me about the Star Wars films, I saw them all at either cinema and/or drive ins. I loved them as a kid (original trilogy of course, I saw one or two of the new ones, I forget now), collected the figures, I even wore Star Wars sandals, I begged my mother for them and she finally caved in, I realise now she didn't want to as she couldnt afford them, so feel a bit bad now.

I also saw the first real Star Wars as a rerelease as an adult, must have been late 90s I guess.
But as an adult they have no nostalgia for me.

I may try and watch all three one weekend and see what it's like, I think I still have them on video so sans new SPFX etc, and who knows maybe ESB and Rotj might be more fun for me now.

Not bagging the film, it's odd to me, as im usually quite nostalgic about "stuff", almost all of my collecting revolves around it.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1030 on: November 03, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
Signed and doodled by Greg Hildebrandt and limited to 300. Size is odd...is this a commercial poster from 1977 or something?

OK, starwarsmovieposter.com has some info about this:

Here's the screenshot from the current sale:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:45:16 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1031 on: November 03, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
What's odd to me about the Star Wars films, I saw them all at either cinema and/or drive ins. I loved them as a kid (original trilogy of course, I saw one or two of the new ones, I forget now), collected the figures, I even wore Star Wars sandals, I begged my mother for them and she finally caved in, I realise now she didn't want to as she couldnt afford them, so feel a bit bad now.

I also saw the first real Star Wars as a rerelease as an adult, must have been late 90s I guess.
But as an adult they have no nostalgia for me.

I may try and watch all three one weekend and see what it's like, I think I still have them on video so sans new SPFX etc, and who knows maybe ESB and Rotj might be more fun for me now.

Not bagging the film, it's odd to me, as im usually quite nostalgic about "stuff", almost all of my collecting revolves around it.

I'm the same with the Star Wars films, in that I have no Nostalgia for them as such. However they do what films are supposed to do, and they do it fantastically. They are entertainment and escapism at it's best.

My favourite is Empire strikes back, most likely due to the photography, colours, and the Snow covered planet Hoth... :D   And the extras/additions in them only makes them better I think..  (I only count the first 3 films)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1032 on: November 03, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
It could be worse. Lucas could be writing it...

It could be great if they'd let me script it.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1033 on: November 03, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »

Yes, they are commercial posters, and really worth very little.  Even Cinemasterpieces sells them for less!  The 300 posters recently discovered, I think it's bull.  A selling ploy.  And the doodle, I don't know, super skeptical.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1034 on: November 03, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
Thanks Mel and T (and Ted who PMd me some info too), very useful. I'll save my cash :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1035 on: November 03, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
I'd go for the Kilian full-size 15th anniversary version over that deal.  You can get them for $68 here but they occasionally pop up and auction for $20-30 on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Star-Wars-27x41-Style-B-15th-Anniversary-Movie-Poster-/171002836923
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:07:14 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1036 on: November 03, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
Cheers Mel...I have one of those that I got for a decent price from Bruce a while back. My curiosity in these were mainly due to the sig and remarque, but I'll pass due to the poster (and coz it's a lot of money to me). When I win the lotto, I'll pick up the quad, but the Killian will do me for now.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1037 on: November 03, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
It could be great if they'd let me script it.

Ted, you need to Script more films.... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1038 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:22 AM »
I'm trying, Paul...God knows I'm trying...  mesmrized

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1039 on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
Yes, they are commercial posters, and really worth very little.  Even Cinemasterpieces sells them for less!  The 300 posters recently discovered, I think it's bull.  A selling ploy.  And the doodle, I don't know, super skeptical.

T

Why are you sceptical if they represent G. Hildebrandt?
The point is that you're paying for G. Hildebrandt's sig and doodle. The poster shows a great piece of art to have the sig on, despite it being readily available(ish)!
Is it worth $300.00, almost £200.00? I don't think so, therefore, I am passing even though I am a massive SW fan.
Now had it been priced at $100.00, I would have bought a few!

I'm trying, Paul...God knows I'm trying...  mesmrized

Try harder lol.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1040 on: December 27, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
history truly does repeat itself...

Stephen Ryan

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1041 on: December 28, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
But they aren't true rebels  :D
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1042 on: February 02, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »
Couple of concept posters being sold by "villains!!!" on Ebay.  Cool backstory but they ain't too great:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:48:07 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1043 on: February 03, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
Interesting, I was talking to the owner of these last week!
He has sold a few of them for good prices and as advertising concepts and history, they are great, but a little too expensive in my opinion for what they are.

By the way, I did notice they've been on MPF since November, 2013.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1044 on: February 03, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
I love seeing that 'funky text' on the SW concept art.
More reinforcement for what I already KNOW.
 wynk

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1045 on: February 03, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
These were made to be and were reviewed by many people involved in the decision process. These are not the only copies. Are there a lot, no, but they are out there in very small amounts not including later made photo copies which are also uncommon to see around.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1046 on: February 04, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
Interesting...so the prices are too high.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1047 on: February 04, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
Considering I am 90% sure where, when and what he paid for them he is making a very nice profit indeed. On the same note you may go years without seeing them for sale again so if you want them it is the typical it is worth what a buyer is willing to spend.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1048 on: February 05, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
Too true, mate, too true.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1049 on: February 05, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »
Considering I am 90% sure where, when and what he paid for them he is making a very nice profit indeed. On the same note you may go years without seeing them for sale again so if you want them it is the typical it is worth what a buyer is willing to spend.

Now, if they were color comps, I'd really want that burning Vader helmet.

Mike, have you ever seen these in color?