Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 677566 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #725 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
In this case, I tend to agree with the people who were involved in the printing of this particular poster, and the experts for the movie.  Some people will not believe certain things unless there is a "smoking gun", so to speak.

It all comes down to what you want to believe in.  My experience in this hobby when it comes to print runs is that no one knows for sure, lots of people assume things, people throw numbers left and right, dealers spread false information for the sake of upping the value of a given poster.  Mel first started with a 250 print run, then if jumped to 500 (Kilian), it was sent to theaters still playing the movie, then it was only given to employees...  Truthfully, I don't give a damn one way or the other.  I personally don't believe it.  My years in this hobby make me very suspicious of any kind of assumption.  By the way, I own a lot of these supposedly rare posters, so it is against my own interest to not believe that I own this one of a kind poster, but I do.  When I buy a French poster like Laura and I am told by 3 different collectors (and multiple dealers who have never seen it) that only 2 still exist in the world, mine and one in Japan, I want to believe it but it seems so ludicrous that I still feel there is a stash somewhere waiting to be discovered.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #726 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »
So how many Concert posters do you think were printed and/or are still around?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #727 on: January 27, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »
Can anyone tell me what you were doing on that day the birthday poster was printed in 1978?

Playing doctors and nurses with a girl around the corner.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #728 on: January 27, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
So how many Concert posters do you think were printed and/or are still around?

It all comes down to how many are stashed away in collectors' collections.  Most Star Wars collectors are still alive, and this is certainly one of their most priced possessions.  A friend of mine here in LA owns 3 and I've been trying to steal one from him for years.  Yes, I don't want to pay.

T
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:59:07 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Matt

« Reply #729 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »

And how many seconds/minutes or hours did you play the game?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #730 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
And how many seconds/minutes or hours did you play the game?

He's still playing.
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #731 on: January 27, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
Maybe its been discussed but do these birthday posters ever show up in theatre used condition?
Just curious.
An Error Has Occurred!

Matt

« Reply #732 on: January 27, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
He's still playing.

I know that!

My point is, I can't remember what I did 3 months ago let alone what I was doing on a particular day in 1978.

How the hell is a printer going to know how many of certain poster he printed 20 or 30 years ago. Accounting records for that process would of being held for 7 years max. How many collectors/historians thumb through accounting paperwork to find out how many of this or that were printed, back then?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #733 on: January 27, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
Can anyone tell me what you were doing on that day the birthday poster was printed in 1978?

I was about twelve and had just discovered Swedish Erotica on Super 8 so I am pretty sure you dont want to know.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »
I was -3.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »

O0
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »
Maybe its been discussed but do these birthday posters ever show up in theatre used condition?
Just curious.

Over the years I have seen many both from collectors as well as out of theaters in typical folded, stapled and or generally used condition. They though are, based on my own experience, rarer than the rolled versions by far.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #737 on: January 27, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
Thanks, that is what I assumed.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »
Over the years I have seen many both from collectors as well as out of theaters in typical folded, stapled and or generally used condition. They though are, based on my own experience, rarer than the rolled versions by far.

Easy solution: buy a rolled version and then fold, crinkle and staple it up on your wall. Then you will have an even rare one!

On a side note, I just picked up a nice SW Teaser B from a nice guy on eBay. He had it listed for a very high price originally, and I provided him with some links to recent selling prices at HA/EMP for reference. After it still didn't sell, he listed it for what I was willing to pay, so we brokered a BIN deal.
www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1977-STAR-WARS-TEASER-POSTER-NEAR-MINT-CONDITION-/271145453765

Apparently he picked it up when he used to work for Lucas back in the day.

I think it was a fair price, and I now have this one for my collection. If only I had more wall real estate in my office....

Thanks to Mel for the heads up on the listing!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
This is one of those posters that I will never buy rolled.  Way too many reprints out there.  I hope you did your research prior to buying.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #740 on: January 28, 2013, 11:12:09 PM »
This is one of those posters that I will never buy rolled.  Way too many reprints out there.  I hope you did your research prior to buying.

T

AFAIK, the only fakes out there are missing the GAU logo at the bottom.
http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Star_Wars_Teaser_B.html
They are fairly common on eBay, but easily distinguishable. While the pictures in this listing aren't great, I can make out the top of the logo in the second close-up picture. The guy seems legit, and sold another SW poster recently. When I get it, I will do a careful examination to ensure it's genuine. If you are aware of any other examples of fakes (with the GAU logo present), please let me know. In the end, if it turns out to be fake (which I personally doubt, but we shall see), it would be easy to get a refund.

While I personally prefer rolled of any poster, I think it's more important with ones like this with a solid color background. The fold lines would stand out too much (for me) and detract from the overall aesthetic look (for me).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:13:00 PM by enki »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #741 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »
There is also something about the sharpness of the GAU logo.  I remember buying a rolled copy years ago.  It had the GAU logo but it wasn't crisp.  I even studied it with a magnifier... my early days of collecting, I had a lot of time to waste :)  I eventually returned it and decided not to buy another rolled one again.  Not worth my time.  If I ever bought a rolled one, I would probably send it to Dave @ Cinemasterpieces for piece of mind.

T
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:23:33 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #742 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »
If I ever bought a rolled one, I would probably send it to Dave @ Cinemasterpieces for piece of mind.

T

To consign it?!   :o

;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #743 on: January 29, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »
As an Valantine gift. :P
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #744 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »
Easy solution: buy a rolled version and then fold, crinkle and staple it up on your wall. Then you will have an even rare one!

On a side note, I just picked up a nice SW Teaser B from a nice guy on eBay. He had it listed for a very high price originally, and I provided him with some links to recent selling prices at HA/EMP for reference. After it still didn't sell, he listed it for what I was willing to pay, so we brokered a BIN deal.
www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1977-STAR-WARS-TEASER-POSTER-NEAR-MINT-CONDITION-/271145453765

Apparently he picked it up when he used to work for Lucas back in the day.

I think it was a fair price, and I now have this one for my collection. If only I had more wall real estate in my office....

Thanks to Mel for the heads up on the listing!

Nice, gratz.

Even though it is just the one color with no artwork for some reason I actually have always liked this poster. No there is no explaining taste or at least my taste.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #745 on: January 29, 2013, 06:14:32 AM »
He says he used to work for Lucas and is selling all kinds of movie memorabilia - early screen drafts, posters - that tend to verify it:

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #746 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
I got guy who would know about The Cake.

Will report back.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #747 on: January 29, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »
I got guy who would know about The Cake.

Will report back.

Very funny, Ben.

happy1
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #748 on: January 29, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »
Very funny, Ben.

happy1

I'm serious!

He will know how many we're printed, or at the very least have a very educated guess/theory.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #749 on: January 29, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »
Did he work in distribution at Fox in 77/78?  Does he have written records of print orders?  Because it is the ONLY way I would believe anyone with so-called privilege information.

T
My Personal Collection